PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

miloofcroton

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
As much as I love football, I regularly take a break between the draft and the start of the next regular season. Somewhere after the start of training camp, I slowly start to tune in again and try to catch up on what I missed. Some years, this is more daunting than others.

I was going through this process myself, and then I realized it might be helpful if others participated. Surely I'm missing some things, and other people will get something out of it too.

Here's my start:
  • Malcolm Mitchell and Jordan Matthews are released
  • Eric Decker is signed
  • Tony Garcia is gone
  • Sony Michel is injured but should be back for Week 1
  • Trent Brown looks great
  • Isaiah Wynn is apparently still practicing at LT behind Trent Brown
  • Deatrich Wise and Derek Rivers are supposedly working hard and looking good

Last edited:
Sony on IR? When did that happen? Thought he was just out for preseason.

Also Matthews was released wasn't he?

You're right on Michel. I thought I remembered reading "his season was over before it began", but this says he'll be back for Week 1.

You're also right on Matthews.

Teamwork.

Haven't heard much on Rivers, actually. Lots of praise for Wise

Haven't heard much on Rivers, actually. Lots of praise for Wise
I’ve read Rivers has been struggling but take it with a grain of salt. Reporters are all over the place and they only pay attention to “name players”.

Tomorrow is the first real test for bottom 53 so you haven't missed much.

Lets try like this:

_____

released: WR Matthews (FA), Mitchell (FA), Andrews, C.Hollister (both reserve NFI), Lacy (claimed by DET); TE Niklas (FA), Wimann (reserve IR); OL Garcia (claimed by NYJ), Jelks (retired), Theaker (reserve IR); DB D.Jones (sigh)

signed: WR Decker, Lucien, Turner; FB/TE Poggi; C/G Schwenke; S Pleasant

injured: Michel (minor, back in 10 days), Cannon (minor), J.King, Langi (?)
_____

in a sentence: team in better shape than last yr IMO (minus Garoppolo) with some WR and #2CB uncertainty
_____

@QB
TB12 ok, Hoyer and Etling up and down (but that's just training . we'll see tomorrow)

@RB
B-Rex and White look good, Sony's knee gave first scare (esp. for future), Hill looking ok rushing and catching (with a fumble or two), Gillislee stepping up for proper comp. Webb strong inside runner they might use for scouting teams at PS.

@WR
Mitchell & Matthews out, Britt very slowly coming back, Decker signed.
Jules looked ok but started to complain, got nervous unnecessary and it started to bite him a bit. Hogan ok. Dorsett sees a lot of action, showed progress w TB, entered his 'circle'. Patterson showed great catching esp. in end zone, can stretch the field, great blocker, added to his acceleration, needs work on routes, playbook, separation. McCarron and Berrios improving on O and are both core punt returners. Lucien and Turner basically camp bodies.

@TE + FB
Gronk ok. D.Allen and Hollister having a very good camp. Tye doing well in limited opportunities, Izzo fighting for PS.

@OL
LT looks solid with T.Brown and Wynn; Cannon a bit of ? but should be back soon, Waddle solid stepping up (very good in 1v1); LG Thuney looks good after inj. (Wynn option just in case), RG Mason ok (Croston back up + RT), C Andrews improving further in strength (Karras, Ferentz both solid backing up)

@dt
Shelton-Guy look strong starting base interior with M.Brown rotating in, A. Butler solid effort, VV fighting for reps (one to look at tomorrow), Atkins, Herron fighting for PS.
Goal line D/run D with Guy-Shelton-M.Brown looks legit.

@DE
Looking good for having solid DE rotation again. T.Flowers w minor head injury taking a breather last days but started TC ok. Clayborn very solid rushing and run D, Wise one of the best in camp. Rivers struggling somewhat expectedly after ACL, K.Davis seeing some 1st D reps under the radar (very interested to see him tomorrow); Lee, Grissom, Harris afterthoughts at the moment.

@LB
KVN having a blast, Hightower slowly coming back, Roberts solid camp, M.Flowers a bit quiet (became father), Bentley good on run/GL D, Sam showing himself in coverage lately (both interesting tomorrow), Langi a ? (seeing some reps as rusher), Grigsby mostly ST

@S
Same old with Pleasant making his presence known. Interesting to see Travis tomorrow.

@CB
Gilmore an island. Rowe, J-Mac rotating, competing for #2 with ups and downs. Breeland worked out for that spot potentially (Breaux earlier in spring). Dawson taking over the slot/nickel, JC Jackson stringing strong days, R.Lewis competitive, Crossen after good spring and start of TC coming back after minor inj., Wiltz quiet; JJ and Cyrus returned.

@ST
punt return: Edelman, Berrios, McCarron, (Chung) + lately Burkhead, Hogan
kickoff return: Patterson, Berrios, McCarron (Michel)
Unfortunately Patterson not in the mix at PR. Unfortunately none of Hill/Gillislee in the mix for KR

Last edited:
Tomorrow is the first real test for bottom 53 so you haven't missed much.

Lets try like this:

_____

released: WR Matthews (FA), Mitchell (FA), Andrews, C.Hollister (both reserve NFI), Lacy (claimed by DET); TE Niklas (FA), Wimann (reserve IR); OL Garcia (claimed by NYJ), Jelks (retired), Theaker (IR); DB D.Jones (sigh)

signed: WR Decker, Lucien, Turner; FB/TE Poggi; C/G Schwenke; S Pleasant

injured: Michel (minor, back in 10 days), Cannon (minor), J.King, Langi (?)
_____

in a sentence: team in better shape than last yr IMO (minus Garoppolo) with some WR and #2CB uncertainty
_____

@QB
TB12 ok, Hoyer and Etling up and down (but that's just training . we'll see tomorrow)

@RB
B-Rex and White look good, Sony's knee gave first scare (esp. for future), Hill looking ok rushing and catching (with a fumble or two), Gillislee stepping up for proper comp. Webb strong inside runner they might use for scouting teams at PS.

@WR
Mitchell & Matthews out, Britt very slowly coming back, Decker signed.
Jules looked ok but started to complain, got nervous unnecessary and it started to bite him a bit. Hogan ok. Dorsett sees a lot of action, showed progress w TB, entered his 'circle'. Patterson showed great catching esp. in end zone, can stretch the field, great blocker, added to his acceleration, needs work on routes, playbook, separation. McCarron and Berrios improving on O and are both core punt returners. Lucien and Turner basically camp bodies.

@TE + FB
Gronk ok. D.Allen and Hollister having a very good camp. Tye doing well in limited opportunities, Izzo fighting for PS.

@OL
LT looks solid with T.Brown and Wynn; Cannon a bit of ? but should be back soon, Waddle solid stepping up (very good in 1v1); LG Thuney looks good after inj. (Wynn option just in case), RG Mason ok (Croston back up + RT), C Andrews improving further in strength (Karras, Ferentz both solid backing up)

@dt
Shelton-Guy look strong starting base interior with M.Brown rotating in, A. Butler solid effort, VV fighting for reps (one to look at tomorrow), Atkins, Herron fighting for PS.
Goal line D/run D with Guy-Shelton-M.Brown looks legit.

@DE
Looking good for having solid DE rotation again. T.Flowers w minor head injury taking a breather last days but started TC ok. Clayborn very solid rushing and run D, Wise one of the best in camp. Rivers struggling somewhat expectedly after ACL, K.Davis seeing some 1st D reps under the radar (very interested to see him tomorrow); Lee, Grissom, Harris afterthoughts at the moment.

@LB
KVN having a blast, Hightower slowly coming back, Roberts solid camp, M.Flowers a bit quiet (became father), Bentley good on run/GL D, Sam showing himself in coverage lately (both interesting tomorrow), Langi a ? (seeing some reps as rusher), Grigsby mostly ST

@S
Same old with Pleasant making his presence known. Interesting to see Travis tomorrow.

@CB
Gilmore an island. Rowe, J-Mac rotating, competing for #2 with ups and downs. Breeland worked out for that spot potentially (Breaux earlier in spring). Dawson taking over the slot/nickel, JC Jackson stringing strong days, R.Lewis competitive, Crossen after good spring and start of TC coming back after minor inj., Wiltz quiet; JJ and Cyrus returned.

@ST
punt return: Edelman, Berrios, McCarron, (Chung) + lately Burkhead, Hogan
kickoff return: Patterson, Berrios, McCarron (Michel)
Unfortunately Patterson not in the mix at PR. Unfortunately none of Hill/Gillislee in the mix for KR
Awesome summary. Just what I was looking for.

I'm surprised they let go of Niklas.

Sony on IR? When did that happen? Thought he was just out for preseason.

Also Matthews was released wasn't he?

In spite of initial reports saying that he was released, Matthews was actually sent to IR on 8/1 (last Wednesday), and then just released yesterday (8/7) with an injury settlement.

The media does not apologize for the confusion.

In spite of initial reports saying that he was released, Matthews was actually sent to IR on 8/1 (last Wednesday), and then just released yesterday (8/7) with an injury settlement.

The media does not apologize for the confusion.

To be fair the Patriots Twitter account reported a release while the NFL transaction wire reported he was placed on IR. The team did the media no favors here by spreading confusion themselves.

To be fair the Patriots Twitter account reported a release while the NFL transaction wire reported he was placed on IR. The team did the media no favors here by spreading confusion themselves.

Well, the team's Marketing Dept. did the media no favors.

Still, it seems to me that football media guys should know that an injured player needs to be place on IR first, then released with a settlement.

Awesome summary. Just what I was looking for.

I'm surprised they let go of Niklas.

You'll pay me back with QB and OL overview or something come Draft season..;)

Niklas was a surprise to me as well . he looked big and solid in practice. Obviously they thought they are full with Gronk and how Allen & Hollister stepped up plus I think they really like Tye as well as back-up and Izzo at PS. BB (against public belief) has a strong record of letting vets out early if he thinks they don't have good chance to make the roster and can catch a spot elsewhere.

Here his nice answer from latest presser - speaking of MM and Matthews' releases - at 3:20. Worth watching the whole thing also in second half where he speaks about new helmet rule (since some fans are jumping the cliff..)

BB: "I've always tried to do what's best for the football team . and I've always tried to combine that with what's best for the individual player and his career. I talk to players and whenever it's possible we come to the best mutual decision."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back