PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Day 1 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
N'Keal Harry - Player Profile Advanced Stats, Metrics & Analytics

Harry had the best analytics/data profile of any WR in the draft. Produced at a young age, a dominator over 40% & solid athletic numbers.

Film wise he was anywhere from WR1-8 depending where you look. He wasn’t my favorite WR but he offers a higher floor than Metcalf & Butler. Ernie Adams probably played a role in this pick.

I’m definitely a fan of the aspect that Harry had high level production at the college level. Something Dobson & Price lacked. He has a reasonable chance to have a career as a high end WR2.

N'Keal Harry - Player Profile Advanced Stats, Metrics & Analytics

Harry had the best analytics/data profile of any WR in the draft. Produced at a young age, a dominator over 40% & solid athletic numbers.

Film wise he was anywhere from WR1-8 depending where you look. He wasn’t my favorite WR but he offers a higher floor than Metcalf & Butler. Ernie Adams probably played a part in this pick.

I’m definitely a fan of the aspect that Harry had high level production at the college level. Something Dobson & Price lacked. He has a reasonable chance to have a career as a high end WR2.

Agree with you on his floor.

Raiders with Gruden and Mayock are such a clown show. They’re like a parody of what coaches and GMs are, only their behavior is actually how they are.

Lock is no lock.,..you could pick the lock or get locked up trying to padlock the locker...and then you're out of lock...er...luck

That's a rubbish myth. Brady threw for record-breaking 23 touchdowns to Randy Moss. Cooks, a burner, also gained over 1,000 yards in New England with Brady throwing to him.

Fact is that Brady just hasn't had a lot of talent at WR to work with in New England.

Harry, when you factor in his pure athleticism and physique has more than enough speed to be a #1 WR. He ran a 4.53 at the Combine. In contrast, DeAndre Hopkins, a 3x pro-bowler coming off a 1,500 yard season 'only' ran a 4.57 at his combine.

Harry absolutely has all the tools to become a #1 wide receiver in the NFL if he reaches his potential.

Brady’s never been good with burners, this guy is much more his type.

There are some exceptions.

Deion Branch, Randy Moss.

You might even include David Patten in that because Patten did not do much elsewhere.

And Brandin Cooks, and Donte Stallworth, and Phillip Dorsett...

The idea that Brady can't work with speed WRs is patently false.

Ju Ju and Anquan and keenan Allen.

Yeah, I like the Keenan Allen / Anquan Boldin comps a lot, similar type of receiver. When you're that big, that physical and run great routes, 40 time borderline doesn't matter. And Harry's not even slow, necessarily, he's just not fast for a WR. He has adequate speed for his size and nothing more than that, and I really don't care because he's going to be a good NFL WR.

Guys that get separation do those things. I’m not saying he won’t be good. He does a lot of good things.

Holding out for a guy who's 1) an absolute burner, 2) big, strong and physical, and 3) actually a good football player is a luxury you just don't have at 32. There are only a few guys who check all three boxes in any given decade, let alone any given draft class.

This is why I think separation--particularly in guys who are big and strong enough that they don't necessarily need it--is overrated. If a guy is 5'10, 190 pounds then yeah I'll worry if he can't reliably create space. But with these big, 215+ pound guys I think people worry way too much about separation. Drafting for that in a big guy is a sucker's bet, because people get so enamored with a guy being big and capable of running fast that they overvalue him and pick him too early. There's only a couple Julio Jones types--guys who can dominate you with size and speed--per decade. For everyone else, they're either winning on size or they're winning on elusiveness... not both. You just have to have one of those two physical profiles / skillsets to have an elite ceiling, and Harry has one of the two.

It takes truly elite speed, burst and agility to consistently get a lot of separation against NFL corners. For the few guys who have that, yeah it's a huge asset. And in all but the rarest of cases they absolutely need it because those rare few typically aren't big enough to win on the basis of physicality (think Tyreek Hill, Desean Jackson). For the other 95% of NFL WRs, the ability to earn your QB's trust by consistently creating a window and making catches even when you don't have a lot of separation is basically what separates noteworthy receivers from everyone else. Mike Evans, DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Thomas, and Alshon Jeffery don't get a ton of consistent separation either, and they've all done just fine because they don't need to be open by 2 steps for the QB to be able to confidently throw them the ball.

And besides, if he ran a slightly faster 40 at the combine, say 4.45 instead of 4.53, he would've been gone in the top 15 picks and we never would have had a chance at picking him in the first place. If that .08 seconds on his 40 time is what it takes to give him the "can't get separation" label and makes him fall to us, then that works just fine for me.

Last edited:
Only thing I don’t like is he should switch his first and last names. My wife and other amateurs are going to annoy me to no end. “Wait, I thought you said his name is Harry. Why did they say N’Keal?” “Are they related?”

Holding out for a guy who's 1) an absolute burner, 2) big, strong and physical, and 3) actually a good football player is a luxury you just don't have at 32. There are only a few guys who check all three boxes in any given decade, let alone any given draft class.

This is why I think separation--particularly in guys who are big and strong enough that they don't necessarily need it--is overrated. If a guy is 5'10, 190 pounds then yeah I'll worry if he can't reliably create space. But with these big, 215+ pound guys I think people worry way too much about separation. Everyone falls in love with the 220 pound guy who runs a sub-4.4 40 but most of the time that guy doesn't end up being all that great. I think in part because there's a tendency to overdraft them based on a flashy skill that doesn't correlate that strongly with success. There's only a couple Julio Jones types--guys who can dominate you with size and speed--per decade. For everyone else, they're either winning on size or they're winning on elusiveness... not both. You just have to have one of those two physical profiles / skillsets to have an elite ceiling, and Harry has one of the two.

It takes truly elite speed, burst and agility to consistently get a lot of separation against NFL corners. For the few guys who have that, yeah it's a huge asset. And in all but the rarest of cases they absolutely need it because those rare few typically aren't big enough to win on the basis of physicality (think Tyreek Hill, Desean Jackson). For the other 95% of NFL WRs, the ability to earn your QB's trust by consistently creating a window and making catches even when you don't have a lot of separation is basically what separates noteworthy receivers from everyone else. Mike Evans, DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Thomas, and Alshon Jeffery don't get a ton of consistent separation either, and they've all done just fine.

Of those last group, outside of a HoF lock in Fitz, the rest of those except Jeffrey seemingly may follow Fitzy into the Hall. Just fine indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents