PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 3

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
Williams is whom I would want. Only thing is he has had trouble with injuries lately but he is true bonafide #1 WR and we desperately need that. I think Ridley goes elsewhere!!

Yeah Ridley can go X or Z. There is room for both on the roster but I imagine they'd like to draft some guys too and not be overly committed to veteran WRs long term. Maybe Williams could be a short-term deal.
It'd definitely be most ideal to get a good WR in the draft. But we also have massive holes at QB and LT. Most here want to draft a QB at #3 and then an OT at #34. Even in a deep WR class, it's probably a bit optimistic to expect that a WR we draft at #68 is going to be a force as a rookie. And heck, getting a day 1 starter at LT at #34 might even be too optimistic and maybe #68 needs to be packaged with it to move up for one.

If you had a top 4 of Ridley/Williams/Bourne/Douglas then you can kick the can down the road to next year if you need to at WR. But with Juju/Thornton battling it out for #5 spot, there's also flexibility to just cut both if there is a WR you really like.

It's just hard because right now we have massive openings at QB, LT, WR. QB is especially tough to get year 1 impact, and if we use #3 at that spot, it's going to be real tough getting year 1 impact at both of the other two spots.

Can I just say our front office is being so naive here. You've got an offer on the table but Ridley hasn't responded. Why do you think that is? He's waiting to sign with Jax later today. You either up your offer and give a deadline or just move on.

If it comes out that Ridley has signed for less than $20-22m a year, then we really will have egg on our face. That is the minimum going rate for that type of player - McLaurin, Godwin, Mike Williams, Cooper, Pittman are all in that range.
If we paid a 30 year old WR $20+M a season...then we really have egg on our face.

here’s the scenario I see playing out:

Wolf: Alright Calvin that’s our best offer, what do you say?

Ridley: Honestly after thinking it over, I’ve decided to jump on board and join the Pat…

- - NFL breaking News out of San Diego - -

Wolf: Just one second Calvin….

- - Mike Williams has been released - -

Ridley: You still there Mr. Wolf????

Wolf: Yeah Calvin, something just came up and we’re gonna have to get back to you on that offer

20 minutes later

- - NFL Breaking News out of KC…Calvin Ridley joins Mahomes and the Chiefs - -

Wolf scrambling for phone to call Williams

- - I’m sorry the number you are trying to reach has been disconnected - -

Wolf: Secretary Cindy ….could you fetch me DJ Charks number!!

KC can have him. I would rather build WR core in the draft. Paying a guy 14-15m that isn’t a true #1 WR just doesn’t make sense to me.
As far as I can tell, 13-15 million isn't #1 money these days.

Ridley's a guy that's set out a season before because of mental health/depression. So I'm not sure how I feel about him coming in when his stated preference was/is to stay where he is. And a media market that is going to put a lot of pressure on him at that.

If we paid a 30 year old WR $20+M a season...then we really have egg on our face.
That's the going rate. We have the money and we have the need.

It'd definitely be most ideal to get a good WR in the draft. But we also have massive holes at QB and LT. Most here want to draft a QB at #3 and then an OT at #34. Even in a deep WR class, it's probably a bit optimistic to expect that a WR we draft at #68 is going to be a force as a rookie. And heck, getting a day 1 starter at LT at #34 might even be too optimistic and maybe #68 needs to be packaged with it to move up for one.

If you had a top 4 of Ridley/Williams/Bourne/Douglas then you can kick the can down the road to next year if you need to at WR. But with Juju/Thornton battling it out for #5 spot, there's also flexibility to just cut both if there is a WR you really like.

It's just hard because right now we have massive openings at QB, LT, WR. QB is especially tough to get year 1 impact, and if we use #3 at that spot, it's going to be real tough getting year 1 impact at both of the other two spots.
Yeah definitely. IMO I think it's smarter to draft WR in the second because they're harder to find good ones later, whereas you're more likely to find an average starting level OL in the middle rounds. I'd try to sign a starting LT, even an older/lesser one like Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams, for now and then try to draft prospects later this/next year and see how you net out.

Last edited:
Maybe if the Pats had $200 ($500?) million in cap space they would make an impactful addition in FA. Then again, top talent is expensive.

Yeah definitely. IMO I think it's smarter to draft WR in the second because they're harder to find good ones later, whereas you're more likely to find an average starting level OL in the middle rounds. I'd try to sign a starting LT, even an older/lesser one like Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams, for now and then try to draft prospects later this/next year and see how you net out.
Disagree I see Four Puka Nacua in the upcoming Draft @ WR it's that deep.

Sign Jimmy G, trade down for multiple extra 1sts in future years, draft Odunze in the high 1st, take a tackle in the 2nd, draft Rattler or Milton later and sit them as the 3rd QB behind Garoppolo and Brissett.

Bam! (?)
I was right with you up until after the word "Sign".

I think @PatsFan2 is about to hyperventilate. Calm down. It's only early yet.

Can I just say our front office is being so naive here. You've got an offer on the table but Ridley hasn't responded. Why do you think that is? He's waiting to sign with Jax later today. You either up your offer and give a deadline or just move on.

If it comes out that Ridley has signed for less than $20-22m a year, then we really will have egg on our face. That is the minimum going rate for that type of player - McLaurin, Godwin, Mike Williams, Cooper, Pittman are all in that range.

It's generally not good negotiating practice to bid against yourself.

Yeah, people keep talking about the "cash spending floor" but seem to fail to understand that the floor is measured as an average over a window of time, and 2024 is the first year of one such window. The team can still under-spend this year if they wish; they would just need to over-spend next year or the year after (or both) at the same level to compensate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes