PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2017 UDFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jury still out on Van Noy and McClellin for me. Roberts ok on run downs, Freeny a run guy but can't reach the sidelines. To summarize, ok on run downs maybe on sub packages.
I think Van Noy is gonna have a big year. I think he will finally break out, played well for the Pats last year, has has upside, nowhere near his ceiling yet.

McClellin, 10 million dollar talent, $5 brain and zero confidence in himself. Not a passionate player. I think he is as good as he'll ever be. I like him, I like his talent, but something seems missing.

I think Van Noy is gonna have a big year. I think he will finally break out, played well for the Pats last year, has has upside, nowhere near his ceiling yet.

McClellin, 10 million dollar talent, $5 brain and zero confidence in himself. Not a passionate player. I think he is as good as he'll ever be. I like him, I like his talent, but something seems missing.
Shea McClellin - jack of all trades, master of none

www.nfl.com/player/sheamcclellin/2532907/profile

Games 14, Sacks 1, Forced Fumbles 0, Interceptions 0, Pass Defensed 0

Kyle Van Noy - better value

www.nfl.com/player/kylevannoy/2543699/gamelogs

Games 07, Sacks 1, Forced Fumbles 1, Interceptions 1, Pass Defensed 2

Last edited:
To the draftniks are there any other players you think the patriots should look at?

Looks like Westerkamp to Bucs, tryout only. Less important then Toth, certainly.

The magic of Google search.

Sure, but there are also a few hundred times more UDFA's than there are No.1 picks. If all teams sign an average of 20 UDFA's, then there are 640 signed. Against 1 No. 1 pick.

Just to put it in perspective: just last year, 199 rookie UDFAs played in at least one game, and 22 played in all 16 games.

Draft picks have become, especially 1st rounders, significantly less valuable than they were 40 years ago when I started following the NFL "selection meeting ".

There's several reasons for this. First, with so many underclass players involved, you're only looking at 1 to 2 years of performance and production in the college game rather than the 3 to 4 you used to see. Secondly, the college and pro games have become so different that it's harder to judge how a player's skills will relate to the pro game, and, finally, advances in training, nutrition and supplements have resulted in more freakish athletes than ever before. The discrepancy in athleticism between early picks, late picks and undrafted players seems to get smaller every year.

Jason Thompson and David Jones will bring pretty much the same measurables to training camp as Jabrill Peppers and Malik Hooker will bring to their camps.

Draft picks have become, especially 1st rounders, significantly less valuable than they were 40 years ago when I started following the NFL "selection meeting ".

There's several reasons for this. First, with so many underclass players involved, you're only looking at 1 to 2 years of performance and production in the college game rather than the 3 to 4 you used to see. Secondly, the college and pro games have become so different that it's harder to judge how a player's skills will relate to the pro game, and, finally, advances in training, nutrition and supplements have resulted in more freakish athletes than ever before. The discrepancy in athleticism between early picks, late picks and undrafted players seems to get smaller every year.

Jason Thompson and David Jones will bring pretty much the same measurables to training camp as Jabrill Peppers and Malik Hooker will bring to their camps.

And you should know, eh, Ken! :rolleyes:

I didn't look up Thompson's numbers until now. Good lord, a 6.57 3 cone and a 4.45 40 at 6'1.5" 210, and he only has 2 years of experience on defense, being a converted QB. I haven't even seen him play yet, but I am certainly intrigued.

The irony in your comparison is that Peppers and Hooker are two guys whose tape I did not like at all. I doubt Thompson's and Jones' tape could be worse.

I agree with everything you said too.

Outstanding post.

Sure, but there are also a few hundred times more UDFA's than there are No.1 picks. If all teams sign an average of 20 UDFA's, then there are 640 signed. Against 1 No. 1 pick.

UDFA have it hard. They have to compete to earn their playing time. Nothing is given. 1st rd picks are given every chance to succeed so it's much harder to get into the HOF as an UDFA than the number one pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST