PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: Very sad news **** Butkus passes away

I remember Brady running with the ball against the Bears, and with Butkus zeroing in for the traditional QB slide, Tom instead of going into a QB slide deeked Butkus and continued running. I think he knew following the game that he'd never be able to do that again without getting killed because of Butkus's long memory.
Post of the year. I can see the play over and over in my mind. Very long memory....

Wow. Any idea what he was doing, maybe on vacation? Did he buy anything? I'm also curious why he told you who he was.
He probably appreciated going somewhere and once on a while being " just another guy" without people fawning all over him.... Was at a professional conference a few years and got the last seat. Spent the next couple hours talking to the guy next to me . At the break somebody asked me if I knew who he was. Nope, he was a lineman on Super Bowl 5 and was wearing the ring. After the break, I asked about the ring and he mentioned he knew I had no idea who he was and it was nice that somebody talked to him as the professional and not what he was in a prior life...

First, someone get @dustcover a chair, help him sit down.

Second, I always wondered on guys like this and other old timers like Deacon Jones, what they would have been like with today's training methods.

Godspeed, Mr Butkus. Tell Wake we said hello.

I remember Brady running with the ball against the Bears, and with Urlacher zeroing in for the traditional QB slide, Tom instead of going into a QB slide deeked Urlacher and continued running. I think he knew following the game that he'd never be able to do that again without getting killed because of Urlacher's long memory.

FIFY

**** Butkus is one of the many famous Lithuanian-Americans.

Ok, let me correct that, he's one of the few famous Lithuanian-Americans.

His father John, a Lithuanian immigrant to Ellis Island who spoke broken English, was an electrician and worked for the Pullman-Standard railroad car manufacturing company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_Butkus

I remember Brady running with the ball against the Bears, and with Butkus zeroing in for the traditional QB slide, Tom instead of going into a QB slide deeked Butkus and continued running. I think he knew following the game that he'd never be able to do that again without getting killed because of Butkus's long memory.
It was Urlacher but whatever…nobody can doubt Brady would have done the same thing to Butkus back in the day lol

That was Brian Urlacher. Butkus' playing career ended in 1973.

Is there a reason for the large, red, italicized font? It's kind of jarring.
My bad. As an octogenarian my memory sometimes embarrassingly fails me. Fortunately I've been assured that this is not an indication of early stage dementia. But thanks for your jarring reminder. ;)

It was an era of extreme toughness and he represented it...i imagine the fear of the opposite offense...what an energy, dedication and spirit...what a personality...a great playier...the best LB ever...r.i.p. **** Butkus

He was the most violent linebacker the game has ever known. Total intimidator. Ray Lewis was a ballerina compared to this guy.

edit: and as Ken said, he was also very skilled, fast, athletic, explosive short area speed but could also get back downfield.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back