PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Notes from my return trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patjew

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm back in HK now. Not suicidal, but still pretty darned depressed. Man, what a long trip home. I cried a bit en route to HK.

However, I was picked up a bit by meeting Dan Koppen and Vince Wilfork on my way from PHX to LAX. They were flying to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl.

I briefly (and quietly) spoke with Dan (I was behind him at the ticket counter and the security line and the gate). I recognized him as the enormous red head bearded guy that he is. Told him "good work", patted his arm, and said I was proud of the guys and I'm still 100% behind them. He was cool. His girlfriend/wife seemed nice, too.

Then I saw Vince Wilfork at the gate area. Dan was sitting in first class, as you'd expect. Poor Vince was sitting in the back row of the plane! Must have been a last minute ticket or something. He was in the aisle seat and his daughter was in the middle seat. He could barely fit. I went back there and approached him and he asked if he needed to get up so I could take the window seat. I told him I just went back there to see him and asked if I could shake his hand. He did and was very friendly. (His hand is like a catcher's mitt!) I told him I came from Hong Kong to see the game and he apologized to me for losing! I told him he shouldn't apologize and that I'm proud of him and the guys. He said he really appreciated it and seemed totally sincere. He told me he's going to the Pro Bowl and I told him to enjoy. He would have spoken longer, but I didn't want to draw alot of attention to him.

Meeting these guys made me feel better because it seemed like, you know, they're getting on with their lives! And if they can, then I should definitely be OK.

Though I still feel like crap today! Oy....

Wow, great story.

Look through all the threads on how to cope with the grief. There's lots of em.

I'm feeling better today. Sunday night and yesterday I was devastated, like living a nightmare. Now I'm getting hopeful again...I don't care about 19-0 any more. I care about the SB. Here's to a ring in 2009!!!

That's wonderful, PJ. I'm so glad you said what you said -- goes for me too. And they should be proud to have fans like you. :rocker:

Patjew, that is my favorite post in months.

Thank you.

Patjew, that is my favorite post in months.

Thank you.

Thanks alot. That means alot to me.

I would love to post some pics and stories about the weekend, but I can't bring myself to just yet. Maybe someday.

Patjew, I was thinking of you, believe it or not, after the loss. I said to my husband, oh my god, this guy flew like 8,000 miles to see that!

I'm glad to hear there was some definite bright points.

Thanks Patjew, you've conveyed my feelings as well. I'm glad you had that opportunity to represent the best of the Pats fans!!
Thanks for sharing your experience.

thanks for that post. i teared up when i read that wilfork apologized to you for losing. i've actually thought of you often since the game ended and told myself, well I had to go 20 feet into my living room to see the game and pj... even tho i've never met you and wouldn't know you if i bumped into you on the street, i've told several people since the game that i have this "friend" who traveled all the way from HK for the game.

like many, i've been using the board to grieve and heal and have gone through a wide range of emotions. i think you'll find that some of the threads from gamenight and the next day will be very helpful to read (i bumped a couple up to page one for you, but there are others as well). there's a lot of anger and pain and consoling. the mods have been great about keeping out most trolls so we can all "deal."

it's getting late where you are now, and hopefully you will be able to get a good night's sleep.

Last edited:
Patjew, I was thinking of you, believe it or not, after the loss. I said to my husband, oh my god, this guy flew like 8,000 miles to see that!

I'm glad to hear there was some definite bright points.

Thanks for thinking of me!

thanks for that post. i teared up when i read that wilfork apologized to you for losing. i've actually thought of you often since the game ended and told myself, well I had to go 20 feet into my living room to see the game and pj... even tho i've never met you and wouldn't know you if i bumped into you on the street, i've told several people since the game that i have this "friend" who traveled all the way from HK for the game.
And thank you TOO for thinking about me. This really really means alot to me.

I have to be honest. Yesterday I was thinking about avoiding this "place" altogether. And while I have been avoiding some of the "re-hash" threads, seeing the responses here and to a few of the other threads is helping me to heal, so to speak.

So again, thank you all, especially those that have taken the time to think of me during this mosr craptacular time.

And thank you TOO for thinking about me. This really really means alot to me.

I have to be honest. Yesterday I was thinking about avoiding this "place" altogether. And while I have been avoiding some of the "re-hash" threads, seeing the responses here and to a few of the other threads is helping me to heal, so to speak.

So again, thank you all, especially those that have taken the time to think of me during this mosr craptacular time.

yeah, i'm avoiding the "what if" and "eli was in the grasp" and negative threads (there are a few folks who are dealing with their feelings by venting a lot of anger at the team. one doesn't have to be a shrink to know what's going on, but it's pretty negative stuff).

for me, i'm into the healing process. haven't turned on a sports show or read a newspaper (i live in nyc) in three days. i'm still hurting, but it's a little better every day. i probably need another week or so before i can even talk about the game itself.

yeah, i'm avoiding the "what if" and "eli was in the grasp" and negative threads (there are a few folks who are dealing with their feelings by venting a lot of anger at the team. one doesn't have to be a shrink to know what's going on, but it's pretty negative stuff).

for me, i'm into the healing process. haven't turned on a sports show or read a newspaper (i live in nyc) in three days. i'm still hurting, but it's a little better every day. i probably need another week or so before i can even talk about the game itself.

I actually feel blessed to be in Asia where practically no one cares about the game and I've already warned my employees not to mention it to me! I was actually happyto get on the plane from LAX to HK b/c I knew I was at least physically leaving the game behind. In the lounge beforehand I had to blast my headphones to drown out any SB conversations.

Being in NYC must be torture.

I actually feel blessed to be in Asia where practically no one cares about the game and I've already warned my employees not to mention it to me! I was actually happyto get on the plane from LAX to HK b/c I knew I was at least physically leaving the game behind. In the lounge beforehand I had to blast my headphones to drown out any SB conversations.

Heh, heh. You're right. The hardest part was listening to the horns blaring and the people partying in the street until after midnight. i've thrown the local papers in the trash without bringing them into the apartment all week. my wife is quite annoyed with me about this, but i don't think the front pages will be about the giants tomorrow and i can avoid the sports page.

We had travelled to Phoenix through San Diego and drove back and forth. Our return flight was canceled so we got to spend an extra day in S.D. - not a bad punishment at all. We also had a two hour lay over at JFK......people there were actually nice (did I say New Yorkers were nice??).

Since my whole family went, wife & I and our three grown sons - we all got a chance to spend some really great time together. That is what is truly important.

As bad as we felt for a while, we are getting over it - it is only a game and the people in SD. and everywhere along the way were great.

By the time we hit Boston last night at Midnight....we all simply said we'll get 'em next year and bring it on.

Love football and love this team - there is no question, were it not for three rings, the devastation would be 1,000 time greater.

Got tears in my eyes. Thanks so much.

I was fearing that the team might "eff you" the fans because the media is making them out to be something they are not with all the Buckner references and such. I am glad you got a chance to say that. It must have been a real melancoloy monment.

grande Patjew, as always

We had travelled to Phoenix through San Diego and drove back and forth. Our return flight was canceled so we got to spend an extra day in S.D. - not a bad punishment at all. We also had a two hour lay over at JFK......people there were actually nice (did I say New Yorkers were nice??).

Since my whole family went, wife & I and our three grown sons - we all got a chance to spend some really great time together. That is what is truly important.

As bad as we felt for a while, we are getting over it - it is only a game and the people in SD. and everywhere along the way were great.

By the time we hit Boston last night at Midnight....we all simply said we'll get 'em next year and bring it on.

Love football and love this team - there is no question, were it not for three rings, the devastation would be 1,000 time greater.

Great story. Great attitude.

Very powerful story thanks. Soon after the loss as I was dealing with my shock and pain things shifted as I thought about the players. I mean, as much as I am upset, imagine how the players felt. Their tremendous effort and hours spent. I can only feel a bit selfish and lame as I watch and cheer for their efforts. Nothing wrong with that except do i really have the right to be so affected by the loss? How did I contribute to the season and how is my life truly impacted by the results. None and not (in reality).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes