PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nick Folk get a chance to break the ALL-TIME Season record for number of FGs made?

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Two-time All-Pro David Akers made 44 field goals in his age-37 season with the 49ers in 2011, breaking Neil Rackers' record of 40. Akers and Rackers are the only kickers to ever reach the 40-field goal mark, but it looks like they're going to get some company this year.

After impressively making two field goals amid crazy weather conditions in the New England Patriots' road win over the Buffalo Bills on Monday Night Football, veteran Nick Folk has connected on a career-best 33 of his 35 field goal attempts through 13 games.

5 single-season NFL records that could be broken during 2021-22

Would need 11 to tie the record (let's say 12 to break so the math is easier). 4 games left, he would need to kick 3 per game. I guess that's possible, but it would mean the offense was stalling in plus territory more than we want.

Folk is fantastic. In his prime. Awesome player.
He wasn’t always awesome. He was always an average kicker until he joined the Pats.

I don’t mean to discredit him, he’s been fantastic for us. There was a point made on Felger & Mazz about how the Patriots system just makes life a little easier on kickers. The emphasis on special teams, coaching, preparedness, better long snapping. Whatever it may be, kickers just have better success here. Vinatieri, Gostkowski, Graham, Folk.

He wasn’t always awesome. He was always an average kicker until he joined the Pats.

I don’t mean to discredit him, he’s been fantastic for us. There was a point made on Felger & Mazz about how the Patriots system just makes life a little easier on kickers. The emphasis on special teams, coaching, preparedness, better long snapping. Whatever it may be, kickers just have better success here. Vinatieri, Gostkowski, Graham, Folk.

Agree.
He's way better post-Pats

Folk is having his best year in his career. But, he is behind Justin Tucker (Ravens) who is the best kicker for the past years...

Also, kickers tend to get better at judging the wind, etc. It's amazing how often kickers that make it past their rookie deal have their best seasons shortly before their legs give out on them.

I'm hoping, though, that he has a 5 to 1 ratio of XPs to FGs over the next two months. :)

I'm still a bit in awe of Belichick saying that he learned stuff from Folk. I didn't think there was anything about special teams that any player could teach Belichick.

He’s an amazing story. I really thought when they first brought him over his stay was going to be short lived. He went from almost finished to one of the best in the business. Easy to get on board with his magical resurrection.

Ackers... Rackers... If only Nicks surname were Crackers.

Nick Folk
2017.....4 games (TB)....6/11....54.5%
2018.....out of football
2019.....7 games (NE)........14/17....82.4%

Pats hire Joe Houston the "Kicking Whisperer" (2/25/20)

2020....16 games (NE)......26/28.....92.9% (career best)
2021....13 games (NE).....33/36......91.7% (career 2nd best-tie)...3 misses all from 50+ yds (5/8)....current NFL leading scorer

Note: Narrative that NE "protects" Folk by limiting his long distance (50+ yd) attempts is not supported by current reality that Folk has attempted a career high 8 FGs of 50+ yds in 13 games this season (previous high....6 attempts...in 16 games in both '11 & '14)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake Bailey
2019......44.9 yds/punt

Pats hire Joe Houston the Kicking Whisperer

2020......48.7 yds/punt.........1st team All Pro
2021.....47.5 yds/punt

That isn't true, he was very good in Dallas. He's had stretches of being very good.

He’s an amazing story. I really thought when they first brought him over his stay was going to be short lived. He went from almost finished to one of the best in the business. Easy to get on board with his magical resurrection.

Folk has been money. Somehow a major renaissance late in his career. would be really curious if he got a new coach or did something different. Feel way better about Folk than Ghost in a tight game situation. No offense to Ghost.

Folk is having his best year in his career. But, he is behind Justin Tucker (Ravens) who is the best kicker for the past years...

Agree completely. Folk has been really good this season, but Tucker may be the GOAT at the position.

Rohrwasser should be the kicker. Dude was elite and misunderstood and I miss him very much.

Agree completely. Folk has been really good this season, but Tucker may be the GOAT at the position.
I don't think there's even a debate at this point, Tucker is the most impactful kicker in the history of football.

I hate that the Ravens get to have him, and how outwardly ****y he is, but nothing but respect for the player.

Nick Folk
2017.....4 games (TB)....6/11....54.5%
2018.....out of football
2019.....7 games (NE)........14/17....82.4%

Pats hire Joe Houston the "Kicking Whisperer" (2/25/20)

2020....16 games (NE)......26/28.....92.9% (career best)
2021....13 games (NE).....33/36......91.7% (career 2nd best-tie)...3 misses all from 50+ yds (5/8)....current NFL leading scorer

Note: Narrative that NE "protects" Folk by limiting his long distance (50+ yd) attempts is not supported by current reality that Folk has attempted a career high 8 FGs of 50+ yds in 13 games this season (previous high....6 attempts...in 16 games in both '11 & '14)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake Bailey
2019......44.9 yds/punt

Pats hire Joe Houston the Kicking Whisperer

2020......48.7 yds/punt.........1st team All Pro
2021.....47.5 yds/punt
I don't get why all the credit is going to Joe Houston. It's not like every kicker we bring in under him suddenly becomes good. He sure did a great job whispering to Rohrwasser and Nordin.

I have no doubt in my mind that the Patriots have elite special teams coaching, but you gotta give some credit to the guys doing the actual kicking. The Folk and Bailey numbers between 2019 and 2020 could just as easily be attributed to having a year of experience with the organization, as both of them were new to the team in 2019.

Plus, we already knew Bailey had a ton of talent in 2019 and we loved him. It's not like he was bad and then became elite when a coach came in. As for Folk, he's has a long career with long stretches of success. This is maybe his best one, but again, it's not like he went from terrible to elite overnight.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back