PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nice piece on Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did we do with the pick we got in return for Collins? With so many trades in this last off season I lost count.

What did we do with the pick we got in return for Collins? With so many trades in this last off season I lost count.

That's a particularly easy one to lose count of, because the rough answer is "a tiny sliver of Brandin Cooks and some bloodletting."

As I understand it the Collins pick was traded along with #32 to the Saints for Cooks + a 4th, and the 4th was tossed on Goodell's bonfire of the vanities.

Nice piece on Collins

giphy.gif

"Mmm... who?"

I obviously don't know what transpired, but remember the discussion about the D not meeting the "eye" test?

They seemed to be under performing.
Things sure seemed to turn around after Collins got sent off to Siberia.

This is some subtlety other organizations don't get.
Some guys are valuable for leadership and others for team chemistry.
"We're not just collecting talent...we flush the turds."
Other coaches/GM's hang on to turds too long because of either their egos or lack of security.
Not saying Collins was a turd, but something was going on there.
This may explain some bottom of the roster guys that seem to hang on forever despite very little production.

It may also explain why they seemingly suddenly trade or cut players with little to no return.

He's sucking up to Bill after he gets cut from Browns in a year or so. He knows where he went wrong by now.

Always liked Collins. He is a physical marvel and brought excitement to the defense. Despite some of his alleged coaching/freelancing/attitude issues, I think the Pats still would have extended him if he weren't so expensive. When you are being considered for that huge contract that makes you a cornerstone player, any type of issue is going to be magnified and hyper analyzed.

I liked Collins too (or his potential/athletic ability)

But, didn't the defense improve once he left?

I liked Collins too (or his potential/athletic ability)

But, didn't the defense improve once he left?

That's why he got traded.

The reality is Collins went rouge by doing the things he felt he needed to get the contract he felt he deserved.

In the end, he has a ring and much, much money.

A better question is how much better would the defense have been had he played to full potential within what the defense wanted.

The reality was of Jones, Hightower, d Collins..........Collins should have been (and was most likely) the top priority.

He simply played himself out of that.

Looks like this at least didn't end as sourly as situations like Seymour, Milloy did.

Good to see there are no hard feelings.

If there were, he should do as a friend of mine advised me once, after I closed a big deal with someone I couldn't stand:

"Go cry in a bagful of money." :)

I guess he didn't like it when Bill said "don't do it your way, do it the right way".

If there were, he should do as a friend of mine advised me once, after I closed a big deal with someone I couldn't stand:

"Go cry in a bagful of money." :)

He was going to get paid no matter what, he could have been a **** and taken a couple of shots but he didn't, good for him imo. In all honesty it shows more maturity than I had given him credit for.

I guess he didn't like it when Bill said "don't do it your way, do it the right way".
I'd love to know who BB was speaking to when he said that.

Though Collins is supremely talented & though I was once in the "NE traded Jones to keep everyone else" camp, I always felt HT was most likely to be kept. HT had the "leader's locker" and he was also more likely to come cheaper than the other two FAs to be.

There is something there though. While HT had two massive plays in the last two SB victories, Collins never seemed to step up at the biggest playoff key times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back