PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL's Greatest Games: NE Patriots vs St. Louis Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spygate also happened leading up to that game but it’s not what you think.

PRO FOOTBALL: NOTEBOOK; Brady Says Ankle Is Fine

Halfway through practice, Patriots' linebackers coach Pepper Johnson noticed something in a third-floor window of a house next to the field.

Club and league officials said a telescope was clearly visible in the window, according to a pool report, and that 15 minutes later, a person appeared at the window, and then vanished.

Officials scanned the window with binoculars, but the person never returned.

So league officials saw it - and did absolutely nothing. Huh.
"The Patriots damaged the league" Tagliabue had no respect for the team.

But had this happened with the Lambs, oh there would have been hell to pay.

Any other team in the league, the Tuck Rule would have faded very quickly, and there would have been zero cheating allegations in the AFCCG.

"What Tom Brady just did gives me goosebumps." Thats what it did for John Madden
Anything he says lost all relevance after he said postgame on December 18, 1976:

"That's what you say," said Raiders Coach John Madden when the Pats' complaints were brought to his attention by a writer. "If you could sit there for 60 minutes and say the officials turned that game around with penalties at the end, you were wasting your time. You were eating a hot dog somewhere instead of watching what was going on. There was some great football out there."

We were in fact watching what was going on. And yes, indeed we wasted our time, the Raiders remain fake Super Bowl XI 'champions' while that 1976 Patriots team and the heroes on it are not recognized or honored today.

We indeed saw the usual great football from the Patriots, along with inferiority, desperation receipt of stolen victory from the Raiders.

Any of us who ate hot dogs that afternoon, still saw what we saw.

And interestingly, mysteriously, the broadcast of that single playoff game remains nowhere to be found. The last thing they would do is rebroadcast it during the Coronavirus pandemic.

Don't take a chance on anyone learning anything about antiPatriots corruption.

Last edited:
I remember that year very vividly. Brady wasn't asked to throw for 400 yds and 3-4 touchdowns. I remember all the talk then by the national media during the season was(I had no access to Boston media) about he has "it". They were always praising about that while admitting that he wasn't putting up lofty numbers but he was so calm when the pressure was on the most. When they won the Superbowl I remember just laughing I was so happy. My wife started shaking me and said "wake up, you've been dreaming. The games about to start!"

Last edited:
Good point. He would absolutely have to have the reins on him to pull it off.
And he still would fail in my opinion. He never had much if a clutch thing going on

The Rams complained about a lot of things after that game but they did have a point about the 2 seconds left on the clock after the ball went through. I’ve never seen a FG kick take 7 seconds until then.

Not that it probably would have mattered. Gronk wasn’t there to play defense anyway :p
Yeah, that was a different time - I think the last 2 seconds ran off after the ball went through the uprights

Brady was so cool that last drive. When he spiked the ball at the end and caught with the other hand and handed it to the ref, I knew the kid was special. Ice water in the veins.

And he still would fail in my opinion. He never had much if a clutch thing going on
Which is why he is like Neil Lomax, Jeff George or Kerry Collins.

And he is nowhere near as good as Steve Grogan, Jim Plunkett, Doug Flutie, or Babe Parilli

Adam knew they were champs as soon as the ball left the tee. That was awesome.

Vinatieri channeled his inner Bird on that kick - last second score to steal the win.

I can't believe there isn't a 'game day thread' on this. Fox is showing the game right now. It is my favorite Patriots game of all time. "Tonight, a dynasty is born!" Ricky Proehl said this to the camera as the game got underway. Brilliant!

The Pats were introduced as a team. Remember those days? The other TB was the leading receiver. David Patten makes a Big Man catch in the end zone Gronk would be proud of. Antowain Smith ran for more than 5 yards per carry.

How about Ty Law? Pick six to put the Pats up 7-3.

Early in the second half it was noted that no team had ever come back from so big a deficit to win a Superbowl. 15 years later, these Patriots would overcome a 25-point deficit to beat Falcons 34-28.

So much fun. Looking forward to Coach's next act.

You can’t believe there isn’t a “game day thread” for a game that happened 20 years ago that is constantly replayed on NFL Network, either in its original incarnation or in various NFL Films renditions? Your expectations seem a little high IMO.

You can’t believe there isn’t a “game day thread” for a game that happened 20 years ago that is constantly replayed on NFL Network, either in its original incarnation or in various NFL Films renditions? Your expectations seem a little high IMO.
STFU.

To anyone who thinks Bledsoe could do what Brady did in SB36, please take a look and Bledsoe's playoff stats and get back to me.

Code:
Year       Tm Opp  Result  Cmp  Att  Cmp%  Yds   TD  Int Rate   Sk  Yds  Y/A
1994      NWE CLE L 13-20   21   50 42.00  235    1    3 38.3    1   10 4.70
1996      NWE PIT  W 28-3   14   24 58.33  164    1    2 58.3    2   15 6.83
1996      NWE JAX  W 20-6   20   33 60.61  178    0    1 62.4    2   17 5.39
1996   NWE  N GNB L 21-35   25   48 52.08  253    2    4 46.6    5   39 5.27
1997      NWE MIA  W 17-3   16   32 50.00  139    1    0 72.3    3   19 4.34
1997      NWE PIT   L 6-7   23   44 52.27  264    0    2 51.7    2   20 6.00
2001      NWE PIT W 24-17   10   21 47.62  102    1    0 77.9    2   11 4.86

4-3-0  129  252 51.19 1335    6   12 54.9   17  131 5.30

Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 5/10/2020.

^^^^^ Wrong thread.

Drew was a real gunslinger. I think the negative part of that style comes with the territory for that type of QB - look at Favre blowing the NFCCG against the Saints- but I think he could have managed a game if asked. He’d definitely need the reins on so he wouldn’t make those decisions that drove us crazy back in the day.

Drew was a real gunslinger. I think the negative part of that style comes with the territory for that type of QB - look at Favre blowing the NFCCG against the Saints- but I think he could have managed a game if asked. He’d definitely need the reins on so he wouldn’t make those decisions that drove us crazy back in the day.
I kept hoping he was the answer but when did he ever show that he was able to manage a game? I defended him as a Pats fan and I watched Buffalo and Dallas fans do the same until everybody came to the slow realization that he never had "it" when he needed "it"

Anything he says lost all relevance after he said postgame on December 18, 1976:

"That's what you say," said Raiders Coach John Madden when the Pats' complaints were brought to his attention by a writer. "If you could sit there for 60 minutes and say the officials turned that game around with penalties at the end, you were wasting your time. You were eating a hot dog somewhere instead of watching what was going on. There was some great football out there."

We were in fact watching what was going on. And yes, indeed we wasted our time, the Raiders remain fake Super Bowl XI 'champions' while that 1976 Patriots team and the heroes on it are not recognized or honored today.

We indeed saw the usual great football from the Patriots, along with inferiority, desperation receipt of stolen victory from the Raiders.

Any of us who ate hot dogs that afternoon, still saw what we saw.

And interestingly, mysteriously, the broadcast of that single playoff game remains nowhere to be found. The last thing they would do is rebroadcast it during the Coronavirus pandemic.

Don't take a chance on anyone learning anything about antiPatriots corruption.

The worst part about the Dreith theft is that the winner of that game had a cakewalk to the Lombardi.

The Snowbowl win 25 seasons later was sweet revenge though. It's even sweeter because the Raiders have done nothing but cry about a legit call for 20 years.

Btw, I remember seeing a top ten show on bspn about the Raiders where George Atkinson said that the Raiders proudly wore the motto back in those days that "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin."

Adam is supposed to make that kick in a dome. Nothing special really about it other than it being to win a tie game. Now his snow bowl kick is a different story but Brady was MVP of that first SB no doubt.

To anyone who thinks Bledsoe could do what Brady did in SB36, please take a look and Bledsoe's playoff stats and get back to me.

Code:
Year       Tm Opp  Result  Cmp  Att  Cmp%  Yds   TD  Int Rate   Sk  Yds  Y/A
1994      NWE CLE L 13-20   21   50 42.00  235    1    3 38.3    1   10 4.70
1996      NWE PIT  W 28-3   14   24 58.33  164    1    2 58.3    2   15 6.83
1996      NWE JAX  W 20-6   20   33 60.61  178    0    1 62.4    2   17 5.39
1996   NWE  N GNB L 21-35   25   48 52.08  253    2    4 46.6    5   39 5.27
1997      NWE MIA  W 17-3   16   32 50.00  139    1    0 72.3    3   19 4.34
1997      NWE PIT   L 6-7   23   44 52.27  264    0    2 51.7    2   20 6.00
2001      NWE PIT W 24-17   10   21 47.62  102    1    0 77.9    2   11 4.86

4-3-0  129  252 51.19 1335    6   12 54.9   17  131 5.30

Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 5/10/2020.
WHO
Proof.ashx
?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back