PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLE observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Todd Mortensen finally got into a game for the second half of the second quarter. He handed off for much of it, but he did a good job passing and made good decisions. He led a two-minute drill to end the half with a TD. Nice first outing.

Earl Charles is off IR and on the roster, I didn't notice him play, but he probably wouldn't be in for a game or two.

Last edited:
Wow..I will have to watch that game..Spann and ZSmith were buried..did not play much or at all...darn it and they played good last week!! SO bench em...Will have to see Todd M...Steitz and Roehl played good...I didn't watch that game because..I truly did not think he'd play..surprise !!!

Amsterdam and Rhein
1ST HALF: Jeff Roehl gave up 2 sacks and one TFL. He is working against Free Agent Derrick Strong, 6'3" 265. He is beating Jeff with power moves and plays very aggressively, I wouldn't mind seeing him come into camp as a possible OLB conversion. Jeff is winning the majority of the battles, even when Strong gets the leverage, but when he loses it is always big.

Nick Steitz is doing much better, I saw one TFL given up, but otherwise he is controlling his block. He got a thumbs up from the color man for staying with his block on a fumbled hand-off where he drove the DL past the ball and prevented him from picking it up, allowing the RB to come back for the recovery. His cut blocks still need a lot of work, I think I've seen him get part of someone once since the season began.

Zuriel Smith I haven't seen at all, 726's buddy Jackson took the one punt that was run back and exploded for a big return that set up a TD.

I saw Antwan Spann on the trainer's bench getting his ankle/calf looked at, I haven't seen him in the game yet, so I don't know if he was there and hurt off screen or hurt himself in practice and is being held out.

More to follow.

Amsterdam and Rhein
2nd Half: Jeff Roehl gave up another sack, other then that play he controlled his assignments well.

Nick Steitz gave up a QB hurry and missed another couple attempts at cut blocking, he continues to be excellent at getting to the second level and taking out linebackers and overall had a good game. Depending on which interior OL NE takes in the draft, Nick keeps looking like a good candidate for the Practice Squad.

Z never got in the game that I noticed.

Antwan Spann was in for a couple plays, working outside instead of the slot. On the one play where I could see him running it looked like he was favoring his right leg. He wasn't thrown at and I don't believe he had any tackles.

Rhein had several opportunities to win the game after Amsterdam got the lead back in the 4th quarter, Drew Henson is no Tom Brady, or Matt Cassel for that matter. On the other hand, Hamdan of Amsterdam and the Seahawks wasn't bad under pressure.

Follow up on Mortensen from the announcer's gabble: He was a back-up at BYU learning from Norm Chow, graduated and took his remaining year of eligibility to San Diego State to learn the West Coast Offense under Jim Harbaugh. Reportedly a student of the game...

More great nuggets from the Box O Rocks!
Realize that one speaks only for oneself ... but i
can't help but think that many more enjoy these NFLE reports ... than say so.

"Drew Henson is no Matt Cassel" ... classic!

Britt is the O-Lineman i'm pinning my hopes on.
On the other side of the ball, glad you spotted Derrick Strong. Please add him to your watch list.
(Shouldn't all the derricks be strong? Ask any high-rise construction guy.)

I've caught up with my tape watching:

Musinski - made his presence felt on the opening kickoff, drawing a hold from the short returner, which unfortunately wasn’t called, but he forced the action on the return and there is a fighting chance NFL refs would have made the call. He only had one catch in the game, a dying quail that dropped over the LB and into the seam, nice play by the QB to fit it in - Butch Davis raved about Musinski making the play coming back to the ball. Cologne didn't move the ball well offensively, but they did have a great catch and run by the Mexican National WR, Musinski raced upfield and threw the lead block that led him into the end zone. Other then the opening KO, his coverage on the other returns didn't get past the wall, he needs to be a little more reckless.

Ventrone - Bubba had me cheering early in the second quarter, on a run play to the side away from him he literally tackled an O-lineman into the gap in an effort to slow the runner - :D! Per Butch Davis, Bubba's Head Coach calls Ray a heat seeking missile. He made a couple run forces that blew up one play in the backfield and stopped another at the line. He also made some nice open field tackles coming up from cover two. Once again the majority of plays went away from Ray, though I still couldn't say with any certainty that it was away from Ray or away from the SS - though the FS doesn't tackle as well as he does... He had one nice tackle on a KO return and I saw one nice block on a punt return. If Ray keeps playing the way he did in this game, he should keep his place on the Practice Squad and be called up as an injury replacement by mid-season.

Ventrone - Bubba had me cheering early in the second quarter, on a run play to the side away from him he literally tackled an O-lineman into the gap in an effort to slow the runner - :D! Per Butch Davis, Bubba's Head Coach calls Ray a heat seeking missile. He made a couple run forces that blew up one play in the backfield and stopped another at the line. He also made some nice open field tackles coming up from cover two. Once again the majority of plays went away from Ray, though I still couldn't say with any certainty that it was away from Ray or away from the SS - though the FS doesn't tackle as well as he does... He had one nice tackle on a KO return and I saw one nice block on a punt return. If Ray keeps playing the way he did in this game, he should keep his place on the Practice Squad and be called up as an injury replacement by mid-season.[/QUOTE]

Or...somebody plucks him off of our practice squad. Maybe he makes our team outright, with great ST play?

Box O Rpcks said:
Ventrone - .... If Ray keeps playing the way he did in this game, he should keep his place on the Practice Squad and be called up as an injury replacement by mid-season.

Or...somebody plucks him off of our practice squad. Maybe he makes our team outright, with great ST play?[/quote]

Just what i was winding up to say.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I would not call Bubba's Special Teams' play great, improving would be the kindest descriptor. The play I was excited about came from his efforts at SS, I can't say for certain that teams consistently go away from "him" on plays, but he has to cover a lot of territory to lay the wood. Since the first game, he has played with more control, pacing himself to set up for the tackle and not looking to decapitate opponents on every play. This means less liklihood of a missed tackle, if not as many spectacular hits. He was singled out on camera several times to show that he had been at the heart of the play, and he made some plays where he was essentially a fourth linebacker and knifed through the trash in classic Bruschi fashion. If he makes the roster mid-season, it will be his run-stuffing SS skills, which include consistently good open field tackling from the deep zone clean-up position, that brings him onboard.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Unfortunately, I would not call Bubba's Special Teams' play great, improving would be the kindest descriptor. The play I was excited about came from his efforts at SS, I can't say for certain that teams consistently go away from "him" on plays, but he has to cover a lot of territory to lay the wood. Since the first game, he has played with more control, pacing himself to set up for the tackle and not looking to decapitate opponents on every play. This means less liklihood of a missed tackle, if not as many spectacular hits. He was singled out on camera several times to show that he had been at the heart of the play, and he made some plays where he was essentially a fourth linebacker and knifed through the trash in classic Bruschi fashion. If he makes the roster mid-season, it will be his run-stuffing SS skills, which include consistently good open field tackling from the deep zone clean-up position, that brings him onboard.

I think his only hope to make the squad outright will be his SS play - he must know where to be at all times and get there and make plays. coupled with, and this sounds like it will be his downfall from what you say - ability to hit home runs on special teams. Actually, when you think about it, he will draw a lot of single coverage on teams as our opponents will be dealing with Tebucky, Izzo, Vrable etc. Given that he wont be the primary focus, do you think he will be able carry out his assignments? I recall reading somewhere about comments from players and coaches alike really liking his heart, hustle and desire and that he had been really improving. Would be a great to see this guy pull it off.

He has half of NFLE season, plus the Pats TC to improve. He is playing well, whether well enough to make the roster I couldn't say, but I think he has a fighting shot to get back to the Practice Squad and BB's given him a fighting shot at sticking in the league if he doesn't make it here.

Ventrone?? Yes he has a shot....and Musinski scored 2 TDs??? Missed that game..due to cable problems...although my wife said someone had a broken collarbone..(a comment she made while attempting to fix it..) And what has happened to Zurial Smith?? Hasn't played much and..listed on the roster..but not active..or inactive..I did like what I saw two weeks ago..esp punt returning..making the right choice. But he has disappeared..and Charles?? off IR..maybe he'll get a chance to run a bit..

Week Six:

Musinski: Had to work hard for his first catch on 3rd and 1, twisting his way into a button hook in front of two defenders for the first, then battling for another few yards - great effort. He was lined up at FB for his second catch, he flared into the flat and made a beautiful dive for the pylon to get the ball into the end zone - his second TD of the year. I saw one nice upfield block on an inside run play. For his second TD, he beat his man on a post route into the end zone, despite the defender getting called for pass interference. Berlin wasn’t moving the ball until his platoon went in.

Roehl: Playing too high in first qtr. Played much better the rest of the game, color man Darren Sharper noted the DE on that side hadn't had his named called very often, but failed to credit Roehl. Had a couple nice cut blocks to clear throwing lanes, also had a sweet pick-up on a stunt. Even playing too high in the 1st qtr he looked pretty solid.

Steitz: Continues to play at a high level, excellent at getting upfield and sealing off linebackers. Missed another cut block, he just hasn't got that technique down. He did get beat on one bull rush, but had a nice trip (illegal, but uncalled :rolleyes:) to keep his man off the QB. Was tripped up twice by his own men, but did a good enough job beforehand to keep his man out of the play.

Zuriel Smith: Has been hurt and didn’t play, see note on Z at bottom of link, also; Nick Steitz gives a classic Patriot interview about 2/3 down! http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/RHE/9376557

Antwan Spann: Was taken down by one of his own DL diving over a pile and cutting his legs out, looked like a hyper-extended knee. Helped off by two guys. Here is the injury report for week 6, in addition to Z above, Antwan was playing on a bum ankle, I knew something had happened to him last week, now add whatever happened this weekend - the kid was playing his way into more time each week before this. http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/9386942

The Japanese national, Kino****a (nice cuss blocker, if he were to come to the Pats this forum would have to call him asterisk), has been very interesting to watch as a return man and stretch the field WR. He had a couple great KR, but left due to a shoulder injury at the end of the 1st half. I have begun thinking he would be a good invite to TC, but this may hose his chances.

Ventrone: Bubba looked good again. He got burned by the TE getting a step on him in a scramble drill, but he had him blanketed while QB was in the pocket and got part of the tackle. He's up there taking on OL who come out to block him, LOL. He's on the punt return team and punt coverage teams and looked good both ways. He laid out a man on the punt return team.

Mortenson: 4 for 4 to start his first drive, including a strike down the middle of the field to McCready (Bubba came off his man to make the tackle with 3 other DBs standing around with rectal thumbitis). 5th pass overthrown on post route, may have stared it down; should have looked underneath on 3rd & 4, but on a short drop may have been screened by line play. Nice looking arm. Just before 2 min warning lofts another to McCready for big gainer. Score one drop by his WR, hit him in a bad spot, his hands. Gets a delay of game trying to change the play at the line. Connects with McCready again, over 100 yds on 3 passes together, maybe 4 I couldn't see if he had one of the shorter warm-up routes before they had Todd stretch the field. Color (WR Andre Reed formerly of Buffalo) gave Todd a thumbs up for recognizing the coverage and hitting McCready in stride. Fade thrown to the sideline, PI called on the defender, but the ball looked a little underthrown - Color didn’t see a foul on the replay. Nice fade into the end zone, but the WR had his head in the wrong time zone only getting one foot down. An int in the end zone to end the half - 4th and 1 foot, pass play called, bogus! Todd had nowhere to go with the ball, and held the ball for a full five count while reading from right to left and back. The pass was a little off balance as he pulled the trigger quickly to get the ball away in a small window - just a horrible play call left him fighting to force the ball in. Andre Reid noted Todd looked much crisper then Brock Berlin who started the game for Hamburg. Just like last week, he had a nice 2 minute drill to end the half, even with the int. That was it, the third QB got the second half.

???? Ricky Bryant made a nice diving catch - play by play (a Jets fan) reported he was “property of the New England Patriots.†Is he using last year’s play sheet or has SP re-signed Bryant who was a FA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back