PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Week 4 Early (9/19) Advanced Betting Lines: Patriots 3 point favorites vs Carolina

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
NFL Week 4 Early Advanced 'Look-Ahead' Betting Lines: Patriots 3 point favorites vs Carolina

John Morgan

The New England Patriots are listed as 3-point favorites over Carolina. Typically odds makers add three points for home field advantage. Taking that into consideration, that means the handicappers look at the Panthers and Pats as equals on a neutral field. Despite Carolina’s impressive defense I find that to be a slight surprise.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

This is incorrect. The odds must be listed incorrectly. Carolina cannot be a 3 point underdog. Vegas uses a power number for each team and doesn’t base the spread on matchups...they use the power number only.

New England was a 7 point favorite at New Orleans (on a neutral field Patriots are 10 points better than the Saints.)

Carolina is a 6 point favorite at home against New Orleans (on a neutral field, Panthers are 3 points better than the Saints.)

Hence, the Patriots are 7 points better than the Panthers on a neutral field. At Gillette, they would be a 10-11 point favorite.

I agree that it doesn't make sense, but that is what the Westgate listed as their early odds.

Spread is 8.5. Westgate was wrong.

Spread is currently -8 on my betting website.

I don't know where the -3 number came from because my online book, which is known for putting out the earliest lines, has it at 8.

Defense aside I feel pretty confident on this one. I think we have too much offense for them to stay with us

Spread is 8.5. Westgate was wrong.
Those were the 'early' 'advanced' lines. Published twelve days before the game.

Odds change during game week too. Obviously that's going to be even more so an extra week in advance.

It's not a prediction of what the odds will be, so it's not a case of being wrong. That would be like saying the odds on the Ravens-Jaguars game was wrong.

Newton is getting pounded.....not the same guy he was

Cam Newton is not good right now, i'll be shocked if this isn't a double digit win.

Those were the 'early' 'advanced' lines. Published twelve days before the game.

Odds change during game week too. Obviously that's going to be even more so an extra week in advance.

It's not a prediction of what the odds will be, so it's not a case of being wrong. That would be like saying the odds on the Ravens-Jaguars game was wrong.

Just use common sense.

The Patriots are the highest rated team in the NFL by Vegas. You can go to multiple websites, and every handicapper has them ranked first, meaning they would be favored on a neutral field against anyone. They were favored by 9 over KC and 14 over Houston. How would the spread possibly be only -3 against Carolina? The Patriots get 3-4 points for homefield, so Carolina is an overall better or equal team?

I stand by my opinion, which is that the line was wrong, published incorrectly. There is no team in the NFL who would be a mere 3 point underdog @NE, and certainly not Carolina. I guarantee this was an error, rather than an accurate early projection, even taking into account that a projection isn’t always going to stick. There is no handicapper in the world who would have projected that game at -3.

Just use common sense.

The Patriots are the highest rated team in the NFL by Vegas. You can go to multiple websites, and every handicapper has them ranked first, meaning they would be favored on a neutral field against anyone. They were favored by 9 over KC and 14 over Houston. How would the spread possibly be only -3 against Carolina? The Patriots get 3-4 points for homefield, so Carolina is an overall better or equal team?

I stand by my opinion, which is that the line was wrong, published incorrectly. There is no team in the NFL who would be a mere 3 point underdog @NE, and certainly not Carolina. I guarantee this was an error, rather than an accurate early projection, even taking into account that a projection isn’t always going to stick. There is no handicapper in the world who would have put that game at -3.

I don't disagree that it could have been a mistake.

All I was saying was that was what was published.

If it was what they published, then the information was correct. I guess we are getting into semantics and assumptions. It sounded to me as though you were saying 'no, you are wrong, you're information is incorrect'. I was simply relaying what the Westgate had posted.

I don't disagree that it could have been a mistake.

All I was saying was that was what was published.

If it was what they published, then the information was correct. I guess we are getting into semantics and assumptions. It sounded to me as though you were saying 'no, you are wrong, you're information is incorrect'. I was simply relaying what the Westgate had posted.

Yes, misunderstanding. I know Westgate published it, but I think they made an error on their end.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back