New England Patriots History: Happy Birthday Charlie Weis

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

John Morgan

Today in New England Patriots history we say happy birthday to Charlie Weis. He was part of the Pats coaching staff for eight seasons. Weis earned three Super Bowl rings as the Patriots' offensive coordinator for Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39. He won another

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Crap, he's just 60 years old. He was in his mid-forties (my age) when he was with NE. I thought he was sixty then.

Re-watching some of those 2001 games and the 2004 Steelers play-off game brought it home what a great OC Charlie Weis was. Happy Birthday, Sir!

Very good OC but man he drove me nuts.

The guy is lucky to be alive

He was a very talented OC... frustrating at times, but talented...

...and even more talented at getting schools to give him money...

Charlie Weis, College Football’s Most Successful Failure

In 2015, he was the third-highest paid ND employee... despite not having coached at ND for over 5 years. o_O

Pretty sad...

money-cartoon-gif-12000-12441-hd-wallpapers.jpg

...well... unless you're Charlie. :)

He was a very talented OC... frustrating at times, but talented...

...and even more talented at getting schools to give him money...

Charlie Weis, College Football’s Most Successful Failure

In 2015, he was the third-highest paid ND employee... despite not having coached at ND for over 5 years. o_O

Pretty sad...

money-cartoon-gif-12000-12441-hd-wallpapers.jpg

...well... unless you're Charlie. :)

Or perhaps it is a sad statement on the state of college football, that "non profit" universities are raking in so much cash that they can afford these kind of contracts and buyouts.

I'm surprised that porker isn't dirt-napping...

WE NEED CHARLEY WEISS TO COME BNACK I DONT THINK JOSH MCDANIELS IS A VERY GOOD OC LOL WTF HIS PLAYS ARE TOO PREDICTABLEE

-PatsFans.com circa 2005-2008, 2012-2014

John Morgan

Today in New England Patriots history we say happy birthday to Charlie Weis. He was part of the Pats coaching staff for eight seasons. Weis earned three Super Bowl rings as the Patriots' offensive coordinator for Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39. He won another

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
I'm totally guilty of wanting to strangle Josh (esp. SB42), but I think it's clear that it's just not that simple to call plays as an OC. Charlie, in my opinion, was a master at it. He wasn't afraid to run the ball no matter how hot the QB was, maybe because he understood that players are human, and can't be perfect all the time.

Occasionally, you'll get a very good, experienced QB like Grogan who will be able to call the plays and manage the game by himself, but it's rare. I can envision Tom doing it in four years or so, particularly if Josh goes somewhere. Not all that different from Russ coaching the Celts at the end.

I think it was NEM who hated Charlie Weiss with a passion. Wanted him gonzo pretty much every day of the season.

Charlie Weis, Patriot coach 1993-96 and 2000-04

Charlie Weis
, 61 (3/30/1956)

Weis was a Patriot position coach for four years and offensive coordinator for five seasons. He owns four Superbowl rings and has 36 years of football coaching experience.

After 11 years of high school and college coaching, he joined Bill Parcells’ New York Giant coaching staff in 1990. After three years with the Giants he rejoined Parcells in 1993 in New England. In 1994 as TE coach Ben Coates was an All Pro with career highs of 96 receptions and 1174 yards receiving. The next season as RB coach rookie Curtis Martin rushed for 1487 yards and 14 touchdowns. In 1996 as WR coach rookie Terry Glenn had a career-high 90 receptions, and 1132 yards receiving.

Weis followed Parcells out of town the next year to work for the Jets. Bill Belichick added him to his newly formed staff in New England in 2000 as offensive coordinator. As the OC Weis had a critical role in Tom Brady’s first NFL season as starting quarterback. That 2001 season of course culminated in the first of five (and counting) Patriot Superbowl victories. His neophyte quarterback went on to become the best there ever was.

19600017-standard.jpg

Not a flash in the pan, Weis earned two more rings in Super Bowls 38 and 39. He left New England to become head coach of Notre Dame in 2005. Later he was the OC for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2010, OC for the Florida Gators in 2011, and head coach at Kansas from 2012-14. Though he may be bored now that he is no longer working, his family should be set for generations thanks to buyouts.

Dave Chapple – Punter, 1974

Dave Chapple, 70 (3/30/1947)
Uniform #10

Chapple was a productive punter and kicker at the University of California at Santa Barbara. In 1966 he kicked ten field goals, which would have been an NCAA record – but Jan Stenerud kicked 13 the same year. Chapple was an All-American and selected by the San Francisco 49ers in the 1969 draft. A slipped disc delayed his football career and he eventually signed with the Bills in 1971.

The following year Chapple joined the Rams and was named to the Pro Bowl, averaging 44.2 yards per punt. Perhaps even more impressive is that his net average was almost the same, 42.1 yards per punt. In one game at Soldier Field he averaged over 50 yards on his five punts.

Chapple’s punts started losing distance though, perhaps due to the bad back. He went from LA to New England in 1974. With the Patriots he averaged 35.4 yards on 26 punts, and did not play in the league again. In 40 NFL games he averaged 40.2 yards on his 162 punts.

Going back to his youth Chapple was very interested in painting. Over the last 40-plus years he has been an accomplished artist, particularly in oil paintings and sculptures.

humps-in-the-sea-david-chapple.jpg

The Painting Punter

Dave Chapple – Island International Artists

Chris Canty – CB, 1997-98

Chris Canty, 41 (3/30/1976)
Uniform #26

In the first year of the Pete Carroll era the Patriots selected Canty with the 29th pick of the 1997 draft. That choice by Bobby Grier, with Bill Parcells no longer over his shoulder, would go down in infamy as one of the worst draft picks in the history of the franchise. Canty seemed to put more effort into his excessive celebrations over insignificant plays than in becoming a productive player.

The Pats jettisoned Canty after just two seasons and he was out of the NFL two years later. He later spent four years playing Arena football.

PATRIOTS%20CANTY-96446--300x225.jpg

Notable NFL players born today include:
Lomas Brown (54), 7-time Detroit Lion Pro Bowl LT
Richard Sherman (29), Seahawks CB
Billy Cundiff (37), most well known for this kick:

I think it was NEM who hated Charlie Weiss with a passion. Wanted him gonzo pretty much every day of the season.
Glad he and his negativity got banhammered.

Glad he and his negativity got banhammered.

It wasn't so much his negativity, but his tendency to perseverate about his lame points.. he believed he knew more and was always right to so much so his reaction(s) defied logic and common decency, he could never see the other side of the story.

I believe the final straw was his harassment of a moderator at home..

Last I knew he had some health issues... not sure what was the outcome.

Then wanted him back when McDaniels took over. If he wasn't a total maniac and didn't get himself banned prior to 2009, he would have been begging for McDaniels to come back as BOB was calling Kevin Faulk draw after Kevin Faulk draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes