PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England Patriots Draft Profile Michigan TE Jake Butt

With Gronk, Allen, Lengel, Williams and Housler, the Pats appear to have a decent core TE group already. OTOH, there are obvious health question with both Gronk and Williams and even with Allen, to some degree. And, IMHO, Housler was picked up merely as a backstop in case the Allen deal didn't go through. Until he demonstrates otherwise, I see Housler as mostly Camp fodder and would rank him below Lengel on the depth chart.

Butt seems a bit like a slightly smaller version of Bennett (a good thing), and a pretty decent fit. A rough survey of current rankings and projections has Butt going in the late-3rd or the 4th, but it's hard to say whether or not that reflects the market having already "priced in" his ACL injury/lack of availability over the summer (at the very least). If not, he could still fall lower. As it stands, BB might have to spend as high as the #96 to select him, but could possibly still snag him at #130.

Anyway, with at least 2-3 decent guys at TE under contract, it could allow BB to take a mid-round flyer on a TE with high potential, but who might not be available until the second half of his rookie season (if at all).

OTOH, given the potential health issues with the TEs under contract, and given BB's experience with promising TEs who are already working through a significant injury, and given that there are other TEs in this class who may have equal potential/fit who are healthy, I'm guessing that BB would be unlikely to select Butt before the fifth round.

butt will kick ass
The Pats need to pull the trigger on him if he's still available later in the draft. The knee injury was unfortunate, but they can afford to stash him. Butt is going to be a very good TE in this league once he gets healthy.

I like the idea of doing a redshirt draft for guys like Butts and Sydney Jones. If Jones is available at #72 I would grab him and the same goes for Butts at #96. The Patriots don't need much from their rookie class this season and Getting first round talent in the middle rounds makes sense to me.

Butt can run routes, get open and catch the ball. I can't say much about his blocking because Michigan didn't ask him to block. He was more of a receiver.
He's a Patriots type guy.

A man among boys in college, but he won't be that in the NFL. Further, they say he's quick, I didn't see it. If he was an inch taller, and 15 to 20 pounds heavier, or if he shows more quickness in person, ok. As he looks? Not sure I'd take him.

Last edited:
5th or 6th Round Trigger on TE:Jake Butt not earlier. Tough to be injured at a Deep Position with Red-shirt Rookie year coming. Other healthier Prospects are going to be enticing at the position.

A man among boys in college, but he won't be that in the NFL. Further, they say he's quick, I didn't see it. If he was an inch taller, and 15 to 20 pounds heavier, or if he shows more quickness in person, ok. As he looks? Not sure I'd take him.

he's 6ft 6

Last edited:
We would have a Gronk, and a Butt. Now we just need to find a Bedonkadonk to make the hat trick. :)

All joking aside, Butt has now had TWO ACL surgeries. So if you're lining up Butt to be injury insurance, you may want to look elsewhere. He won't even play until 2018. Worth a 5th round gamble I guess.

Sign him. The punning opportunities such a signing offers are mindboggling. Defenses, for example, won't be able to find him with both hands.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back