New England Patriots 2017 Opponents, 5 First Impressions of the Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
New England Patriots 2017 Opponents, 5 First Impressions of the Texans

Steve Balestrieri

They rebounded nicely, especially on the defensive side which was dominant in their 13-9 win over the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday Night Football.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Some early views from Houston on this week's game. Reading between the lines I am guessing that some in south Texas are not enamored with BoB.

Bill Belichick on Bill O'Brien: 'He's a great coach'

"I think Bill does a great job. He's an excellent play-caller and game-planner.

"I think he's done a pretty good job with that organization with what he's hard to work with. I think he's one of the best coaches in the league."

Belichick pointed out that O'Brien didn't take over a winning operation in Houston on the heels of the team firing Gary Kubiak.

The Texans have won consecutive AFC South division titles.

"He took over a 2-14 team that wasn't very good," Belichick said. "Had three straight winning seasons, won the division twice, won a playoff game last year. He's brought a winning team to Houston."​

Smith: Belichick stands up for O'Brien - and takes shot at Texans

"With what he's had to work with" - I guarantee those words will draw notice within the walls of NRG Stadium. It's also rare for an NFL coach to take a shot at another team's roster during game week, especially a coach as experienced and media savvy as Belichick.​

Hopefully Fleming or Waddle won't make Watt look like the second coming of LT on Sunday.

Bill Belichick compares J.J. Watt and Lawrence Taylor

"He wins with his quickness in the pass rush, He's long, hard to throw over, hard to block in the running game because of his length, strength and technique.

"With all that being said, probably the most important, impressive thing is his motor – plays hard every snap. There's never a play off with him. He makes plays in pursuit, down the field, screen passes, ball thrown to receivers – he's hustling making plays 15, 20 yards down field.

"You just don't see those plays from hardly anybody, but especially guys that are his size and that play as much as he does. He plays everywhere across the board – plays outside, plays inside. He's effective everywhere. He's a tough matchup on everybody."​

The zero passing touchdowns can be written off based on the competition, but that 31 game streak in today's NFL is quite impressive.

Texans' vaunted pass defense to face stern test in New England

The Texans haven't allowed an opposing quarterback to throw for at least 300 yards in 31 consecutive games.

Over their last three seasons, only Jacksonville's Blake Bortles, with 331 yards in a 31-20 Texans' victory on Oct. 20, 2015, has been able to reach 300 yards.

The Texans haven't allowed a touchdown pass in their first two games. After playing against Bortles (125 yards) and Cincinnati's Andy Dalton (224), the Texans allow 169 yards a game passing, putting them sixth in the NFL.​

Some early views from Houston on this week's game. Reading between the lines I am guessing that some in south Texas are not enamored with BoB. . . .

"I think he's done a pretty good job with that organization with what he's hard to work with. I think he's one of the best coaches in the league."

Belichick pointed out that O'Brien didn't take over a winning operation in Houston​

Smith: Belichick stands up for O'Brien - and takes shot at Texans

"With what he's had to work with" - I guarantee those words will draw notice within the walls of NRG Stadium. It's also rare for an NFL coach to take a shot at another team's roster during game week, especially a coach as experienced and media savvy as Belichick.​

I think it is likely he is talking about the qb situation that BoB didnt get a lot of votes on. Spending $17M on a guy who couldnt surpass a broken down paymeaton was just silly.

I suspect this rookie qb is first one he and gm were on same page.

So the criyique is not truly all that misplaced or such a slam.

But of course media and msg boards will take it as they like. It will go to show why BB has the shut your mouth rule. but in this case you have to say it was a deliberate case of loyalty to a trusted departed-subordinate and he is willing to pay the price. Never would he say such about mangenious ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes