PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Who to watch at the East-West Shrine practices and game

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
"WR Zay Flowers (BC): Here’s a top-50 pick with a chance to break into the first round. He’s explosive with the ball in his hands and he’ll interview well for teams. In my opinion, he is heads and shoulders above every player in Las Vegas. PFF has him projected as a 1st round pick."

- Too early for 14 but more than likely too late for 46.

"TE Luke Schoonmaker (Michigan): The CT native is one of the more balanced TE’s coming out this year. He’s a top 100 player that could be a Patriots target late Day 2 or early Day 3."

- Way too early for him at that range; he's more of a mid day 3 prospect.

" WR AT Perry (Wake Forest)"

- Wouldn't mind him early on day 3 if a WR wasn't taken during the first two days.

"DE Habakkuk Baldonado (Pitt): Smart kid that is still developing. Great size (6-5, 260) with a frame to put on more weight. Needs more anchor, and polish but he has good instincts and I love the upside."

- Wouldn't mind him during the middle of day 3 if a DE hadn't been taken by then.

Talked about or mentioned a bunched of these guys but Jack Colletto might be my favorite. We went away from the position last year but he's a versatile in position and skill set. Tough af and smart.

Brenton Cox is another versatile guy that stay on the field all 4 downs.

Jaxson Kirkland is someone I've mentioned quite a bit also. Guy has improved so much throughout his time in college.

Fnm3gPPWAAAcUy_

Talked about or mentioned a bunched of these guys but Jack Colletto might be my favorite. We went away from the position last year but he's a versatile in position and skill set. Tough af and smart.

Jaxson Kirkland is someone I've mentioned quite a bit also. Guy has improved so much throughout his time in college.

Is Kirkland the son of Levon Kirkland, the former Pittsburgh LB? Hmm.. He's going to be 25... On the older side.. Like Strange..

Last edited:

Hmmmm.... We've not had very good luck with Florida Gator LBs.....

Is Kirkland the son of Levon Kirkland, the former Pittsburgh LB? Hmm.. He's going to be 25... On the older side.. Like Strange..
Don't believe so, no.

And yea we have np drafting older players with more experience and seemingly more mature.
Hmmmm.... We've not had very good luck with Florida Gator LBs.....
No we have not lol. Probably in general considering Duke and Dom.

I liked both just thought Dom was a good round and half too early. He was an amazing snap jumper at the Swamp, great first step in general.

while I am historically ambivalent toward WR's in general. My hopes in THIS year's draft as far as WR's is this. The word I want tied to the WR's we add via FA and the draft isn't "speedy" or "super fast", or 4.3", in the end they are really ALL fast at 4.5 or better, or they wouldn't be WR's in the first place. No the word I want to see when we are describing WR prospects is "FLUID"

The VERY best WR in the NFL in 2021 (Cooper Kupp) is a 4.SIX guy, but is best described as FLUID. It's a descriptive that best describes Diggs, Jefferson, Hill, etc All guys who move through their routes without losing speed on their cuts and accelerating out of them. As fast as Thornton was at times last season, at this point he isn't what I would call "fluid" in his route running. Hopefully that will improve over time. BUT raw speed is nothing if it isn't combined with a that ability to use that speed FLUIDLY.

My second most favorite descriptive would be quick-twitch. Edelman was 4.5+ guy. Welker was a 4.6 but both were the ultimate quick twitch guys who could break LB's and DB's ankles with their breaks off their routes. Kupp was open deep ALL the damned time, it was hard to believe, but he was so damned fluid in an out of breaks that he got separation that didn't make sense when looking at his numbers.

So don't try to impress me with someone's 40 time, since they ALL are going to be in the 4.3-4.5 area anyway. The way to get ME excited is to see sub 6.8 3cone times with guys who can catch the ball. Find me THAT guy.

BTW- is there a guy who fits that mix at the Sr. bowl?

while I am historically ambivalent toward WR's in general. My hopes in THIS year's draft as far as WR's is this. The word I want tied to the WR's we add via FA and the draft isn't "speedy" or "super fast", or 4.3", in the end they are really ALL fast at 4.5 or better, or they wouldn't be WR's in the first place. No the word I want to see when we are describing WR prospects is "FLUID"

The VERY best WR in the NFL in 2021 (Cooper Kupp) is a 4.SIX guy, but is best described as FLUID. It's a descriptive that best describes Diggs, Jefferson, Hill, etc All guys who move through their routes without losing speed on their cuts and accelerating out of them.
1000% agreed here. This is something thats key to me. How many steps youre taking in/out of your break/top of the route. Can you move effortlessly. Garrett Wilson took a lot of steps near the top of his route but he makes it work. Agree though. Can you move/change direction without losing speed is as important as getting off the line or catching. Josh Boyce was a flyer but couldn't utilize his speed in routes.
As fast as Thornton was at times last season, at this point he isn't what I would call "fluid" in his route running. Hopefully that will improve over time. BUT raw speed is nothing if it isn't combined with a that ability to use that speed FLUIDLY.
Agree again. He does a lot well but is awkward at times moving around in a short area.
My second most favorite descriptive would be quick-twitch. Edelman was 4.5+ guy. Welker was a 4.6 but both were the ultimate quick twitch guys who could break LB's and DB's ankles with their breaks off their routes. Kupp was open deep ALL the damned time, it was hard to believe, but he was so damned fluid in an out of breaks that he got separation that didn't make sense when looking at his numbers.

So don't try to impress me with someone's 40 time, since they ALL are going to be in the 4.3-4.5 area anyway. The way to get ME excited is to see sub 6.8 3cone times with guys who can catch the ball. Find me THAT guy.

Quick note on Kupp, Ken. He registered almost 21 mph at the SR Bowl. Now teams use this gps, game tracking data to measure how fast you accelerate, top speed etc. It's amazing, teams rely on it more than 40 now.

Tee Higgins was another who hit a good speed I believe.

I'm putting out a rough list tonight in my thread and it'll have WRs on it. Small list at 14. Trade back types in the 1st, 2nd etc.

The VERY best WR in the NFL in 2021 (Cooper Kupp) is a 4.SIX guy, but is best described as FLUID. It's a descriptive that best describes Diggs, Jefferson, Hill, etc All guys who move through their routes without losing speed on their cuts and accelerating out of them. As fast as Thornton was at times last season, at this point he isn't what I would call "fluid" in his route running. Hopefully that will improve over time. BUT raw speed is nothing if it isn't combined with a that ability to use that speed FLUIDLY.

I think Zay Flowers , currently at the Shrine Bowl , is drawing a lot of attention at the moment. There are a few articles about him on line just now

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back