PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Sony Michel Trade and Mac Jones as the Starter

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
MORSE: Sony Michel Trade and Mac Jones as the Starter
Mark Morse
With the trade that sent Sony Michel to the LA Rams, I thought I would highlight some of the things I wrote about Michel, comments made by posters, and my thoughts on the trade itself.

The post MORSE: Sony Michel Trade and Mac Jones as the Starter appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I assume this article was written yesterday?

I think after today, I am not so sure Mac starts week 1.

Still think Cam is the Week 1 starter, and voted accordingly in the poll... Though I was tempted to vote RLKAG... But he should be on a very, Very short leash...

And one thing in all this Sony Michel discussion that is now Irrefutable: Billy chose the Wrong UGA RB.

MORSE: Sony Michel Trade and Mac Jones as the Starter
Mark Morse
With the trade that sent Sony Michel to the LA Rams, I thought I would highlight some of the things I wrote about Michel, comments made by posters, and my thoughts on the trade itself.

The post MORSE: Sony Michel Trade and Mac Jones as the Starter appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
Thanks for the respectful call-out to those who disagreed with you. Very classy and very appreciated.

My only quibble with this article is that I don't think that refusing the 5th year option on Sony doesn't speak volumes about anything. When is the last time the Patriots paid any RB 4.5 million?

They don't. They let Shane Vereen, who was fantastic here, go to the giants for less money than Michel's 5th year option.

Go look at the history for the Pats at that position: Woodhead, Burkhead (highest paid?), Vereen, etc. James White right now costs a 3rd against the cap as Michel would cost them next year. The Pats typically spend a lot at RB, but spread it out to 3 or 4 guys.

My take on why they picked Sony is easy: they had a hole in their offense that year and went with the guy they judged most able to come in and start as a rookie, be a feature back (relatively speaking, since they don't bell-cow anyone), without getting Brady killed. That was Michel, and he did what was needed from him.

They don't have a 5th year option on Harris or Stevenson, obviously, as they weren't 1st round picks. I strongly doubt Harris will be here after year four, particularly if he keeps playing the way he is, because he'll cost way too much. Same with Stevenson, although, he really might be special (then again, so is nick Chubb - would you see the Pats paying him 3/36 like Cleveland did? I wouldn't).

Still think Cam is the Week 1 starter, and voted accordingly in the poll... Though I was tempted to vote RLKAG... But he should be on a very, Very short leash...

And one thing in all this Sony Michel discussion that is now Irrefutable: Billy chose the Wrong UGA RB.
In hindsight they picked the wrong guy. For me personally, they both looked great in college. Sony’s rosebowl performance may have swayed the Pats to pick him. The pick at 31 was unexpectedly high imo, but tbh, I had no idea who would be better at the time. The only flag was his knee which seems to have held up, so Kudos to Pats med eval on that.

We could look back at a lot of mock drafts for that year captain stone and I don’t think your gonna find a whole lot of posters that mocked either Chubb or Michel to the Pats with the first 45 picks. Btw if everyone knew how good Chubb was going to be he would of easily been a top 10 pick so you can chalk that up as 32 teams missing the boat on him. Including Cleveland who waited until the 2nd round.

But as Edelman said “We always have Atlanta.” Sony will always be a big part of that post season run and be remembered for being instrumental in those 3 games. The best postseason by a Patriots running back ever.

I always liked him but have no issue with the trade as it makes sense

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back