PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Flores Dragging Belichick Further Into His Lawsuit, Burning Yet Another Bridge

70% person of the NFL population is black. It's a disgrace.
Here is the talking point that most bothers me. Not surprisingly I'll talk about why in a moment :D

First, I should say that if I'm Flores -- and I am assuming he didn't just make up 100k per game to tank and so on -- what am I looking at? The Phins are treating me like not a real coach, they're going to check their box, have me tank the season, fire me when I don't (even though I beat the Pats twice which is huge in fins land) and had them a whisper behind us in the final standings, and a winning record at that. So that's sketchy. Then I'm interviewing, and in the interviewing process "the grapevine" knows that another candidate got the job despite him not getting his interview yet. Yet he knows, and we all know, that the Giants set him up as a "Rooney Rule" interview. So the BB episode is more his evidence than another instance of racism, but then he thinks about that, maybe even after doing the interview, and says "do I have some responsibility to protect BB in this?" Of course he doesn't. BB is the one not doing right, just fielding that text from the old coach carousel grapevine in the coach fraternity... and not clapping back "Hold on, no way, Flores isn't getting interviewed????" He KNEW Flores was a candidate or he wouldnt think he's ****ing up by texting him. So now Flores is perfectly rational in concluding "you know what? BB doesn't have any clue what it's like out there from my perspective and he's part of all this." Then he looks at his "resume"... hell, you can go back to "Education of a Coach" and know how he feels about the coaching fraternity, you can look around at the Patriots present staff and see nepotism right in front of you -- and for him, those are barriers.

Ok. Now about the quote. I've seen lots of people making this point. 70% Black players should mean.... what?

I agree so far as saying you should have a fair shot and I think it's clear that without a Rooney Rule, and even WITH a Rooney Rule, that's not happening. Events are kind of telling us that.

But I've actually seen people saying it just makes sense you'd have 70% Black coaches.

Welp, it's a long, LONG time until we have to worry about that outcome. But that talking point irks tf out of me, and I was never one of these guys screaming and beat red about the Bakke decision.

One of the talking heads I like to watch, Joy Reid, basically said it's a 70% Black league, then caught herself and said "Now it's down to 60 something," adding something along the lines of "in case you think this kind of stuff has no effect." I don't remember exact words, but it had that point to it.

So she's complaining that the 70% overrepresentation of 12% (I believe) of the population is being "eroded," on the one hand, and that the 70% representation is not being reflected among coaches, on the other hand.

That is one way this irritates me -- the 70% figure doesn't strike me as justifying any conclusion further than "come on, we need SOME Black coaches." It is a majority Black league, but I think the import of that is more like "look this is not an all-white league and we're not trying to have any part of it all-white or even close." Like I said, right now it's theoretical, because White coaches are the dug in structure, the Black aspirants for this limited pool of slots are the ones without power.

But why's it a 70% Black (player) league?

To represent the league player composition you need 21 Black head coaches and 21 Black owners. To represent prevalence in the population you need 4 Black head coaches and 4 Black owners. The "right" number, a number where "we'd feel comfortable?" I'm afraid some will now want the 70% given how much this stat's making the rounds.

I don't think that's right, because I don't think that anybody's questioned how we got 70% Black players. Evidently the whole league and everybody commenting agrees with Jimmy the Greek, that African Americans are genetically determined to be better players, perhaps based on surviving the Middle Passage. I think we also have to understand that the NFL represents a "way out" in the Black community in many cases, and in far fewer white communities. In that case, Joy Reid should be thrilled if, as she said, Black representation among players is down to 60-some percent.

The other way this irritates me is that most coaches never played pro football. They all played some sort of football I'm sure (but if you think of it, none except the newest ones played football under its current rules.) For that matter, should there never be a female coach? We were recently all treated to the woman ref. Well in a 100% male player league, why is there a female ref? Obviously my point there is not against having a female ref, it's that you don't need to be a football player to know the rules. That's true of the coaching side too, although I'd wager you'd need them to have experience in a football league somewhere. It's a good reason to have a women's league.

All you Nazis out there don't trip over yourselves agreeing with me on this one. I hear it. I don't like it. But I think here there are too many lines of logic going opposite directions, and it's irritating. There should be more Black coaches, and in fact, there should probably be more than the 4 predicted by prevalence in the population. But can we stop before 70%?

Yea, but Flores wasn't the DC. His son was in there too. That's just Bill playing the promotion for 3rd round picks game when his guys get poached. I can't blame him for that.
He got the experience of being DC, which as you point out elsewhere is what is needed to get a head coaching job. The title doesn’t matter. It’s the role/experience. To argue Crennel is the only DC, is disingenuous.

That being said, Belichick certainly has favorites. Is Flores one them?

Last edited:
Ok. Now about the quote. I've seen lots of people making this point. 70% Black players should mean.... what?

But I've actually seen people saying it just makes sense you'd have 70% Black coaches.
You're over thinking this. Nobody is asking for 70% black HCs or even 60% or 50%. The facts are there's been no improvement in the representation of black HCs for decades despite there being qualified candidates. This isn't a pipeline issue either, like some have theorized.

In the NFL, position coaches are typically promoted to coordinators, then coordinators to head coaches. The study showed that white coaches in the NFL are 50 percent more likely than minorities to be promoted to any position. The researchers examined the careers of more than 1,200 men who were NFL coaches from 1985 to 2012. The racial gap persisted when they accounted for a coach’s starting and current positions, education, team performance, experience, and other factors.

“If we were just to take all coordinators, we would see that there was no racial advantage or disadvantage in promotion rates from coordinator to head coach,” said Rider, an organizational theorist.

But there was a dramatic difference between whites and blacks making the move from position coach to coordinator. Whites had a 114 percent greater chance of being promoted from position coach to coordinator, and 70 percent of head coaches are promoted from the coordinator position. Only 16 percent make the leap from position coach to head coach. Furthermore, it takes nine years for a white coach to have a greater than 50 percent probability of being promoted to coordinator; it takes a minority coach 14 years to reach that same probability.

The problem I see is that there are not enough Asian HC's... or Middle Eastern ... or Indian.... :rolleyes:

In this highly competitive league, where winning is everything $$$$$, I find it hard to believe that they would pass on THE BEST candidate based on skin color.

I'm reading a lot of speculation based on just that, speculation. I figured I'd give it a go.

Sad. If Flores wasnt a qualified, deserving head coach candidate, then nobody is. He sus great in Miami. So there were zero qualified blacks this year. Got it. Jeezus you're coming right out and saying standard will lower if more black people are hired over white people. Sickening
There were numerous qualified black head coach candidates this year. One was offered the job and rejected. No others, yet, have been the first choice. Who do you feel was obviously better than the guy hired?

Flores was 24-25 and lost 7 in a row this year. That is not good.

You're over thinking this. Nobody is asking for 70% black HCs or even 60% or 50%. The facts are there's been no improvement in the representation of black HCs for decades despite there being qualified candidates. This isn't a pipeline issue either, like some have theorized.
Of course it’s a pipeline issue. 9.4% of American football coaches are black. The focus on promoting racial equality has seen the league increase to 36% of the coaches being black. Many of these coaches are first time coaches, hired directly into the league with no experience, competing for promotions against the other 64% who mostly sorntvtheur entire adult lives coaching and moving up the ranks.
12/34/25% of offensive/defensive/st coordinators are black.
So in a profession where 9% of football coaches are black 24% of professional coordinators are black.
Over 40% of nfl teams have had a minority HC very recently, (33% if you only count black HCs).
If 33% of the owners have hired a HC out if a demographic pool that makes up only 9% of the coaches, how is that a racist landscape?

The NFL has exceeded representation of black coaches by 4times there representation in the profession, and 2 1/2 times at coordinator positions. 1/3 of owners have chosen a black HC recently, 3 1/2 times the representation in the profession.
Out of all football coaches the statistics show that black coaches are in the highest positions (If we consider the nfl top of the profession) at a significantly higher proportion than non black coaches.

He's also done that to keep the criticism away from those guys (including Flores), which is also something not a lot of people talk about.

Although I've said it before, the fact Flores didn't get hired before the lawsuit came out is baffling. He was one of the best available guys after the Dolphins screwed up and let him go and I was glad to see him leave the Division. But with the way the players had responded to him in the 3 seasons he was there (and his last one here), his success certainly speaks for itself. Definitely makes little sense.
Is he one of the best guys available? I seem to remember Flores having around a .500 record in Miami.

Even though BB says "I went back and read the text" before admitting he effed up? Sooner or later BB will have to expound on this and I'll take his word on it.
At some point we'll see the text. Belichick will be depositioned and will have to provide all relevant texts, emails, phone records, etc as part of discovery if the suit survives the NFL's attempt to dismiss.

There were numerous qualified black head coach candidates this year. One was offered the job and rejected. No others, yet, have been the first choice. Who do you feel was obviously better than the guy hired?

Flores was 24-25 and lost 7 in a row this year. That is not good.
Yeah, but take into consideration the context of what was going on as a distraction during that period. Once that was gone, they won 7 straight including 8 of their final 9.
Is he one of the best guys available? I seem to remember Flores having around a .500 record in Miami.
Yes, but obviously the reason for the .500 record was his first season when he inherited a not-so-great team yet still finished fairly strong, setting up two straight winning seasons, the second of which could have gone off the rails considering what was going on. Was he the best guy available? Maybe not, but he definitely was one of the top names.

The fact he managed a .500 record while his owner was trying to get him to lose every single game and his GM was trading their best players is actually pretty commendable.

Yeah, but take into consideration the context of what was going on as a distraction during that period. Once that was gone, they won 7 straight including 8 of their final 9.

Yes, but obviously the reason for the .500 record was his first season when he inherited a not-so-great team yet still finished fairly strong, setting up two straight winning seasons, the second of which could have gone off the rails considering what was going on. Was he the best guy available? Maybe not, but he definitely was one of the top names.
I’m not saying he sucked but in 3 years he never made the playoffs and really did no better then Gase. He surely didn’t succeed. Could he have deserved longer to let his impact take and produce results, maybe, but it sounds like he had a poor relationship with his qb, and trouble with coordinators.

I’m not sure what you mean was a distraction that prevented him from winning. What distraction are you referring to? Isn’t coaching about winning despite distraction.
Hard to give him credit for being a good coach for winning 7 in a row after burying his season by losing 7 in a row, including a loss to Jacksonville.

I’m not saying he sucked but in 3 years he never made the playoffs and really did no better then Gase. He surely didn’t succeed. Could he have deserved longer to let his impact take and produce results, maybe, but it sounds like he had a poor relationship with his qb, and trouble with coordinators.

I’m not sure what you mean was a distraction that prevented him from winning. What distraction are you referring to? Isn’t coaching about winning despite distraction.
Hard to give him credit for being a good coach for winning 7 in a row after burying his season by losing 7 in a row, including a loss to Jacksonville.
Did you not follow the whole mess with Watson and how it affected Tua, along with the injuries they were dealing with during that span?

And don't forget Jax beat Buffalo and McDermott isn't exactly a terrible coach ;)

He's also done that to keep the criticism away from those guys (including Flores), which is also something not a lot of people talk about.

Although I've said it before, the fact Flores didn't get hired before the lawsuit came out is baffling. He was one of the best available guys after the Dolphins screwed up and let him go and I was glad to see him leave the Division. But with the way the players had responded to him in the 3 seasons he was there (and his last one here), his success certainly speaks for itself. Definitely makes little sense.
I agree 100% Ian, though looking at the list of coaching hires so far, it seems like almost every team was looking for an offensive-focused HC which isn't Flores:

• Giants: Brian Daboll (Bills OC)
  • Vikings: Kevin O'Connell (Rams OC)
  • Raiders: Josh McDaniels (Patriots OC)
  • Jaguars: Doug Pederson (former Eagles HC; previously, Chiefs OC)
  • Broncos: Nathaniel Hackett (Packers OC)
  • Bears: Matt Eberflus (Colts DC)
  • Texans - pending
  • Saints - pending
So out of the 6 Head Coach openings that were filled, 5 of them were filled by an OC or a former HC who was previously an OC. The Bears are the only exception.

Did you not follow the whole mess with Watson and how it affected Tua, along with the injuries they were dealing with during that span?

And don't forget Jax beat Buffalo and McDermott isn't exactly a terrible coach ;)
Sorry, I expect a coach to be able to deal with rumors that a player who is likely to be suspended isn’t coming in to take your job so your team doesn’t fall apart. Every team has injuries. And yes, I did not realize that was what you were referring to, thanks for clarifying. Btw there is a lot of belief Flores created that distraction with respect to Tua.

Well that’s because McDetmott won his division and made the playoffs a number of times. Losing to Jacksonville is one thing losing to Jacksonville as part of 7 in a row and a 1-7 start is something else.
Let me put it another way. Winning 7 in a row as a positive is wiped out by losing 7 in a row also.

Again I’m not saying he sucked I’m just disagreeing with the idea he was egregiously unfairly fired.

I mean, I'm good either way, And I'm a fairly old man. It would take a while before there would be some theorized flip-side crisis. I just wrote a lot of words to say, yes the situation is absurd, but the "70% black players" talking point drives me crazy. It seems to assume - and I have actually heard this said straight up -- that your pool of potentially qualified people is 70% black. But player-coaches are the exception, not the rule.

At some point we'll see the text. Belichick will be depositioned and will have to provide all relevant texts, emails, phone records, etc as part of discovery if the suit survives the NFL's attempt to dismiss.
Or the NFL will release the BB materials even though they get the suit dismissed. And dock us a first and a third.

I kid because I love, Roger.

The NFL made about $9.8 billion in national revenue, with 32 teams receiving a record $309 million each, according to shareholder filings from the Green Bay Packers. A large part of the NFL's revenue is media rights along with sponsorships, which attracted $1.62 billion last season.Sep 8, 2021

Losses at the gate for all 32 teams because of the Covid effect came in around 4.5 billion for 2021.

Yet the global phenomenon that is the NFL remains a robust product in the US market and while the 2020/21 losses were significant, the bulk of the franchises’ income is through broadcast rights deals, which were not affected by the absence of fans in the stadiums.

Revenue from that source is also likely to increase over the coming months as several new contracts are signed that will ease some of the financial pressures on franchises.

During the next few years, the revenue from such transactions is anticipated to expand by between 50 and 100%, providing a windfall that would likely increase the pay cap dramatically in future years. ESPN’s deal to show Monday night matches and Fox’s contract to air Thursday night contests both automatically expire when the 2021 season ends. In addition, following the end of the 2022 season, the league’s existing deals with CBS and NBC, as well as other broadcasters, will expire.

so...tell me more about this "racism!!!" problem facing the NFL and tell me exactly what you think they will do about this horrible malady afflicting the league going forward...you know, to better the 32's ability to earn more profits....I'll wait ...while I take a vacation in Bora Bora for a year.

Sorry, I expect a coach to be able to deal with rumors that a player who is likely to be suspended isn’t coming in to take your job so your team doesn’t fall apart. Every team has injuries. And yes, I did not realize that was what you were referring to, thanks for clarifying. Btw there is a lot of belief Flores created that distraction with respect to Tua.

Well that’s because McDetmott won his division and made the playoffs a number of times. Losing to Jacksonville is one thing losing to Jacksonville as part of 7 in a row and a 1-7 start is something else.
Let me put it another way. Winning 7 in a row as a positive is wiped out by losing 7 in a row also.

Again I’m not saying he sucked I’m just disagreeing with the idea he was egregiously unfairly fired.
If that's the case, then Belichick would be considered a terrible coach after that debacle in Cleveland where the owner pulled the rug out from under them one year removed from Belichick leading them to the playoffs, which tanked his final year and what should have been a strong season for them. People looked at his record the same way and refused to take into consideration the context of why it went that way and clearly, they were wrong as well. ;)

Last edited:
How dare someone call references! Every job does that.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
If that's the case, then Belichick would be considered a terrible coach after that debacle in Cleveland where the owner pulled the rug out from under them after the team one year removed from Belichick leading them to the playoffs. People looked at his record the same way and refused to take into consideration the context of why it went that way and clearly, they were wrong as well. ;)
He didn’t get another job for 5 years and that was only because he developed a personal relationship with and impressed the owner of the team he was an assistant for.
So yeah, that is how he was perceived.
The fact that the perception was wrong doesn’t prove that everyone perceived that way isn’t what they are perceived as. Rex Ryan and Adam Gase got immediate second chances and proved they were what they were fired for.

There is still the issue that many rumors say that it was Flores who created the distraction with Tua by making comments about wishing he had Watson instead.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back