PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

my top five OLB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan-1982

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
after doing some film study on the top OLB's here are my top five that can come in and make a impact now for the pats

#1 Sergio Kindle, texas 6.4 255lbs has the size and strength that BB is looking for in a LB to set the edge in the run game. he is not just a speed rusher but he was able to push the LT in to the QB a few time the pats can use a LB with some power. comparison. willie mcginest,

#2 Jerry Hughes, tcu 6.3 257lbs maybe the best speed rusher in the draft. and has the most up side of all the LB's but dose not have the strength. to set the edge in the run game he will get washed out a lot by nfl LT's he would not be a every down LB for the pats as a rookie. comparison demarcus ware,

#3 Eric Norwood, sc 6.1 253lbs i don't know if he can set the edge but he looked good vs the run and the best pure pass rusher of the LB's IMO dose not have the up side of Hughes, but he rushs the QB with speed and strength not just speed. comparison. Elvis Dumervil,

#4 Brandon Graham, Michigan 6.2 263lbs has nice size and strength should be able to set the edge he's pretty good vs the run and has a good first step as a pass rusher. comparison. LaMarr Woodley,

#5 Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida 6.6 265lbs he is a project but the type of freak athlete that will set the combine on fire and get him self in the top 10 comparison. julius peppers,

after doing some film study on the top OLB's here are my top five that can come in and make a impact now for the pats

#1 Sergio Kindle, texas 6.4 255lbs has the size and strength that BB is looking for in a LB to set the edge in the run game. he is not just a speed rusher but he was able to push the LT in to the QB a few time the pats can use a LB with some power. comparison. willie mcginest,

#2 Jerry Hughes, tcu 6.3 257lbs maybe the best speed rusher in the draft. and has the most up side of all the LB's but dose not have the strength. to set the edge in the run game he will get washed out a lot by nfl LT's he would not be a every down LB for the pats as a rookie. comparison demarcus ware,

#3 Eric Norwood, sc 6.1 253lbs i don't know if he can set the edge but he looked good vs the run and the best pure pass rusher of the LB's IMO dose not have the up side of Hughes, but he rushs the QB with speed and strength not just speed. comparison. Elvis Dumervil,

#4 Brandon Graham, Michigan 6.2 263lbs has nice size and strength should be able to set the edge he's pretty good vs the run and has a good first step as a pass rusher. comparison. LaMarr Woodley,

#5 Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida 6.6 265lbs he is a project but the type of freak athlete that will set the combine on fire and get him self in the top 10 comparison. julius peppers,

Nice list.

I divide my OLBs into strongside and weakside. Top 4 at each:

- Strongside:

1. Carlos Dunlap, Florida. 6'6" 270#, 4.65-4.70 speed. Comparison: Willie McGinest.
2. Jason Pierre-Paul, USF. 6'6" 265#, 4.60 speed. Comparison: Javon Kearse.
3. Everson Griffen, USC. 6'3" 265-280#, 4.60-4.70 speed. Comparison: Terrell Suggs.
4. Greg Hardy, Mississippi. 6'4" 265#, 4.65-4.70 speed. Comparison: Jared Allen.

- Weakside:

1. Austen Lane, Murray St. 6'6" 260#, 4.60 speed. Comparison: DeMarcus Ware.
2. Jason Pierre-Paul, USC. See above. Could play either strongside or weakside.
3. Sergio Kindle, Texas. 6'4" 255#, 4.55 speed. Comparison: Kamerion Wimbley.
4. Ricky Sapp, Clemson. 6'4" 248#, 4.55 speed. Comparison: Manny Lawson.

I don't think Jerry Hughes or Brandon Graham have fluid enough hips to play OLB for us effectively, and I don't think Hughes can set the edge effectively. I think Eric Norwood projects to SILB, where he's my #2 prospect after Rolando McClain.

I love your picks!!
I only prefer Graham in front of Norwood, I think the kid has everything BB likes and can be a starter right away.
Kindle is just amazing, I'm in love with that pick

Nice list.

I divide my OLBs into strongside and weakside. Top 4 at each:

- Strongside:

1. Carlos Dunlap, Florida. 6'6" 270#, 4.65-4.70 speed. Comparison: Willie McGinest.
2. Jason Pierre-Paul, USF. 6'6" 265#, 4.60 speed. Comparison: Javon Kearse.
3. Everson Griffen, USC. 6'3" 265-280#, 4.60-4.70 speed. Comparison: Terrell Suggs.
4. Greg Hardy, Mississippi. 6'4" 265#, 4.65-4.70 speed. Comparison: Jared Allen.

- Weakside:

1. Austen Lane, Murray St. 6'6" 260#, 4.60 speed. Comparison: DeMarcus Ware.
2. Jason Pierre-Paul, USC. See above. Could play either strongside or weakside.
3. Sergio Kindle, Texas. 6'4" 255#, 4.55 speed. Comparison: Kamerion Wimbley.
4. Ricky Sapp, Clemson. 6'4" 248#, 4.55 speed. Comparison: Manny Lawson.

I don't think Jerry Hughes or Brandon Graham have fluid enough hips to play OLB for us effectively, and I don't think Hughes can set the edge effectively. I think Eric Norwood projects to SILB, where he's my #2 prospect after Rolando McClain.

Mayo, I don't know why all the hate for Graham and Hughes, I think both are great players, and can be the pass rushers we need.

ANd the love for Lane, I like the kid, but he isn't better than Kindle or JPP. Thats why they both will be taken in the first round and Lane late seconds early thirds. I would be very happy taking Kindle in the first and Lane with our last second.

Mayo, I don't know why all the hate for Graham and Hughes, I think both are great players, and can be the pass rushers we need.

ANd the love for Lane, I like the kid, but he isn't better than Kindle or JPP. Thats why they both will be taken in the first round and Lane late seconds early thirds. I would be very happy taking Kindle in the first and Lane with our last second.

I have no "hate" for either Graham or Hughes. I think they are both nice players. But I don't think either is a particularly good fit for OLB for us.

Hughes is a bit on the short side, is mainly a pass rusher, doesn't seem stout enough to be able to set the edge, and has questionable hips. I think he'll be a nice undersized 4-3 pass rusher, but I don't see him succeeding for us at OLB.

Graham is a great player. I think he could be a great SILB for us in time, if he can learn to read and react. I'm doubtful about his ability to play in space, and he's on the short side. But he's a very good player, no question.

I wouldn't be devastated with either Hughes or Graham. At this point, I want to see some investment in OLB/pass rushers, no matter who. But I don't project them as fitting our system that well. That's all.

I think Lane's size and skill set are the best fit for us at weakside OLB. He's more versatile than Kindle, better against the run, and better in space. I have not been overwhelmed by Kindle this season. I think that he and JPP both go 1st round based on physical potential and combine numbers, but I think both have some work to do.

Going 1st round doesn't make you a better player. Jarvis Moss went #17 in 2007, LaMarr Woodley #46. Who do you think is the better player?

Every time they ran at Kindle in the championship game he got blown way back, didn't he? They had some plays of him getting the QB, most of the time he just ran around the OT or wasn't blocked at all.

Hardy might be interesting at an OLB type, if he has the desire. Hardy and Dunlap have been questioned intensity wise.

Spikes would be a good OLB/ILB. He has the size, good athletic ability and intensity, no one can deny that.

Wow! It's nice to know that this draft has Willie McGinnest, Demarcus Ware, Julius Peppers, LaMarr Woodley, AND Elvis Dumervil. Strongest draft ever! I would trade my whole draft, maybe even both #1s from next year, if we could get a young Willie Mac on one side and DeMarcus Ware on the other.

Some thoughts on your "assessment", just IMO.

He's nothing like Willie. And if you watched the BCS Championship Game, you'd have seen 'Bama running right at him. To the tune of about 100 yards or more.

Willie Mac was the toughest SOB in the league and was a real powerhouse, Kindle is NOTHING like him.

Again, he's nothing like the player you're noting. Ware is a 6'4" Adonis figure. Hughes is not. The fact you've said he's a wash in the run game, whereas Ware is a monster setting the edge, means you're actually contradicting yourself.

I don't think he has the pure speed of Dumervil in all honesty, and probably compares better to James Harrison. And he is excellent against the run, which is why I'd be interested to see if he could play inside in the 3-4. He offers a lot of positional versatility, and will possibly be able to line up at SLB in the 4-3, SILB in the 3-4, OLB in the 3-4, and maybe even a situational DE in the 4-3.

The best run-stopping DE in the class from what I've seen. A very accurate comparison as well. He also resembles Anthony Spencer (who had hearts fluttering on here a few years back, with good reason too). Doesn't have the Pats-like size, but has everything else. If BB is willing to make the trade-off of height against ability, he might be the guy.

Mate, no. Not at all. Peppers is a freak of nature, Dunlap is the guy that resembles him most.

JPP actually reminds me of Gholston (frighteningly), but looks to have much more talent rather than being a simple physical beast.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Right now, I'm still only sold on JPP and Lane at OLB.

I'd love to grab both of them along with a DE, RB, WR, OL, TE and CB in the first two rounds. How many picks do we have again?

From what I've both seen and read of Kindle, he explodes out of even his two-point stance with his pads lower than the blocker, often knocking his man back or down. However, if he fails on this intitial contact, he often doesn't have the sustained leg drive to get through his guy and also seems to lack (or fail to deploy) the moves to disengage/get under/get around his guy consistently and, thus, frequently gets bogged down, even by lesser O-line guys (reminds me of Burgess). He uses his speed to get around an OT usually by going very vertical and squaring in on the QB rather than using a dip/rip to cut the corner on the OT's outside shoulder.

He's smart and usually reads the backfield very well, has very good speed and consistently hustles to chase down the ball. However, his hips, feet and balance are often not good on change of direction in space and he sometimes ends up having to stop completely and gather himself with his arms sort of flailing. DTs next to him often turn and move more efficiently.

So, both good and bad. I'm just not sure how much of the bad parts are fixable.

Some thoughts on your "assessment", just IMO.

He's nothing like Willie. And if you watched the BCS Championship Game, you'd have seen 'Bama running right at him. To the tune of about 100 yards or more.

Willie Mac was the toughest SOB in the league and was a real powerhouse, Kindle is NOTHING like him.

Again, he's nothing like the player you're noting. Ware is a 6'4" Adonis figure. Hughes is not. The fact you've said he's a wash in the run game, whereas Ware is a monster setting the edge, means you're actually contradicting yourself.

I don't think he has the pure speed of Dumervil in all honesty, and probably compares better to James Harrison. And he is excellent against the run, which is why I'd be interested to see if he could play inside in the 3-4. He offers a lot of positional versatility, and will possibly be able to line up at SLB in the 4-3, SILB in the 3-4, OLB in the 3-4, and maybe even a situational DE in the 4-3.

The best run-stopping DE in the class from what I've seen. A very accurate comparison as well. He also resembles Anthony Spencer (who had hearts fluttering on here a few years back, with good reason too). Doesn't have the Pats-like size, but has everything else. If BB is willing to make the trade-off of height against ability, he might be the guy.

Mate, no. Not at all. Peppers is a freak of nature, Dunlap is the guy that resembles him most.

JPP actually reminds me of Gholston (frighteningly), but looks to have much more talent rather than being a simple physical beast.

Just my two cents.

Agree with you about Norwood and Graham. Both seem like smart, solid players who maybe won't make positive big plays as often as some of the others, but they'll rarely get beat on anything.

Here is a question for you all,

The Dolphins have two older OLBs in Porter and Taylor,
Isn't Parcells "the man that loves LBs" going to be in the same market drafting LBs?

He'll be picking the same type of player, Something to consider??

Isn't Parcells "the man that loves LBs" going to be in the same market drafting LBs?

Absolutely something to consider. But he only gets to pick once at 12 and once around 43, and he has a lot of other needs to address. Miami needs a playmaking WR like nobody's business. Jason Ferguson is 36, and a 3-4 DT is a priority. Their OLB's are old. They need help at ILB.

I could see them taking an OLB at 12, but right now I think they would go for Rolando McClain or Dez Bryant if either were available. Dan Williams could be an option at 12 if he climbs, or at 43 if he slides.

Could BP take Dunlap, JPP, Griffen, Kindle, Hughes, Sapp, Norwood, Graham, Hardy or Lane sometime in the 1st 2 rounds? Absolutely. But I'm guessing he takes at most 1 OLB candidate.

Absolutely. Ryan may be looking for similar players as well. And BB won't be able to fake Ryan into taking a Vernon Gholston like he did with Mangini.

BB and Reese (assuming he's sticking around) will definitely have to be on their toes for this one. Select your targets carefully and use your ammo judiciously.

Absolutely. Ryan may be looking for similar players as well. And BB won't be able to fake Ryan into taking a Vernon Gholston like he did with Mangini.

BB and Reese (assuming he's sticking around) will definitely have to be on their toes for this one. Select your targets carefully and use your ammo judiciously.

Ryan could, but he has other more pressing needs - a WR, a 2nd CB, a NT given Jenkins' age and injuries. And they'll be picking at the end of the 1st and 2nd rounds, and have no 3rd round pick to trade up.

By all means, select your targets carefully. But we're very well positioned.

The Patriots should plant a spy in Miami's front office. This way

they would know what linebackers to draft.

That's easy, send Rex Ryan a box of free hotdogs. The key is to put the hidden cam in the box rather in a hotdog, you wouldn't want it to get eaten. :)

Last edited:

That's easy. They'll draft Rolando McClain if he lasts that long, same as we would do.

Who they like at 43 is a whole different question.

That's easy, send Rex Ryan a box of free hotdogs. The key is to put the hidden cam in the box rather in a hotdog, you wouldn't want it to get eaten. :)
Oddly enough, reading this post and having a Marx Bros. movie going in the background I didn't feel any disassociation... :yeeha:

So to get McClain we would have to move to 11, how many draft picks would that take?

If you want to find the OLB's in this draft that have the best chance to succeed in the NFL, you need to scan through the scouts write ups and find the guys with the following words in the review:

1.) SUDDEN
2.) Explosive
3.) Great first step
Guys with words like this are what BB needs. Otherwise all we get are younger versions of Derrick Burgess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes