PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

I enjoy reading your posts and think your very knowledgeable and know you think tight end is a bigger priority but if Ebron and Amaro are gone when we pick at 29, do you take offensive line then with the first pick or go defensive tackle?

I still think we have to get better at safety and defensive line.

Well I'm a big ASJ fan so I would take him. But if not, then I'd look at Aaron Donald, Stephon Tuitt or a flyer on Bradley Roby (push Dennard inside to the slot corner). Brandin Cooks and Marcus Smith's versatility as DE and LB would also be worth considering. Zach Martin is another (had him as my first round pick in my very first mock in Aug/Sept. Time).

No Jimmie Ward?

I haven't made my mind up about Ward, but he should probably be included at 93 for now. Maybe higher, but I need to look at him more.

How deep is it really, though? Gregory could easily be a cap casualty and is someone you ideally want as a back-up. Tavon has become a STer more than a safety lately and Harmon only saw limited snaps. Safety may not be as deep as you think and there really isn't a whole lot of physicality at that position with what we have now. If you can get a thumper at SS early on, you do it because you still fill needs at DT and DE later on in the draft.

I think that's still a heckuva lot deeper than the situation at DE ;)

That said, I think Buchanan could be a good player once he bulks up a bit and gets stronger.

The problem is that we have a bunch of young players at the positions...we just don't know if they are/going to be any good. Well, except for Bequette...I'd say absent a miracle he's probably taking the Shawn Crable fade route off the roster.

How deep is it really, though? Gregory could easily be a cap casualty and is someone you ideally want as a back-up. Tavon has become a STer more than a safety lately and Harmon only saw limited snaps. Safety may not be as deep as you think and there really isn't a whole lot of physicality at that position with what we have now. If you can get a thumper at SS early on, you do it because you still fill needs at DT and DE later on in the draft.

I like Gregory and I think he had a good year last year. Sure, if he becomes a cap casualty, then the position becomes a much bigger need but I don't see that happening. I just can't see BB prioritising safety for a third year running.

I follow the pre-draft process about 1/100 as closely as some of you guys, but I think I'm sold on Donald. Do want.

I like Gregory and I think he had a good year last year. Sure, if he becomes a cap casualty, then the position becomes a much bigger need but I don't see that happening. I just can't see BB prioritising safety for a third year running.

I think that right now our top 5 needs (in no particular order are):

DT: A long-term successor to Wilfork, possibly this year if he can't come back, and/or a long term starting 3-tech who can generate inside pressure.

DE: A rotational DE or two who can share time with Jones and Ninkovich.

S: Our "Kam Chancellor".

TE: A move TE to replace A-Hern, and quality depth behind Gronk and to allow 2-TE sets.

OG/C: An upgrade from Wendell inside, an upgrade at RG, and a likely successor to Mankins.

In addition, I'd personally rank getting more athletic and faster at LB as an equal priority, even though it isn't as great an immediate need.

I could see any of those 6 areas being addressed in any order, depending on the quality of players available.

DT: A long-term successor to Wilfork, possibly this year if he can't come back, and/or a long term starting 3-tech who can generate inside pressure.

TE: A move TE to replace A-Hern, and quality depth behind Gronk and to allow 2-TE sets.

OG/C: An upgrade from Wendell inside, an upgrade at RG, and a likely successor to Mankins.

In addition, I'd personally rank getting more athletic and faster at LB as an equal priority, even though it isn't as great an immediate need.

I could see any of those 6 areas being addressed in any order, depending on the quality of players available.

I don't really like the idea of "our Kam Chancellor" personally. Just seems too limited a role. I would however quite like " our Kyle Fuller" who can both cover and play that enforcer role in that area 10 yards off the LOS.

I agree with the list but would add a reliable outside WR, esp if Edelman leaves. I know we have young bodies but I'm not sold on Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins. And we can't rely on Amendola to play 16 games. To me this is a bigger need then many of the ones you suggest. It may be that the move tight end can play this role though.

I don't really like the idea of "our Kam Chancellor" personally. Just seems too limited a role. I would however quite like " our Kyle Fuller" who can both cover and play that enforcer role in that area 10 yards off the LOS.

I like Kyle Fuller very much, but I do see the need to get much more physical, and I'm not sure that a guy Fuller's size can hold up to the pounding. Buchannon has the frame and length to be very disruptive, and enough athleticism to not be a major liability in coverage. But it's a hard choice. Pryor would be ideal, but we'll be lucky if he's still available at 29.

I like Kyle Fuller very much, but I do see the need to get much more physical, and I'm not sure that a guy Fuller's size can hold up to the pounding. Buchannon has the frame and length to be very disruptive, and enough athleticism to not be a major liability in coverage. But it's a hard choice. Pryor would be ideal, but we'll be lucky if he's still available at 29.

Kyle Fuller was pretty much playing linebacker all game against Georgia Tech. I have no worries about his physicality. I'm no longer all that high on Bucannon - can't cover very well and misses too many tackles. Day three at best for me.

I'm all for defense for the first two picks...I think we have to get more athletic and more physical but I have to admit if Swanson is there at 62, I'd really have to consider him. I do not want to look at Wendell for another season getting blown up by big defensive tackles.

In an ideal world I would go d defense line or safety in the first two rounds, add a tight end in the third and the interior offensive line in the fourth but wow, if Swanson slips to us at 62, he is going to be real tempting!!!!

Kyle Fuller was pretty much playing linebacker all game against Georgia Tech. I have no worries about his physicality.

He also missed the latter part of the season with injuries. Again, I'm very high on Fuller, but can his frame take the pounding of playing full time in that role?

I like Gregory as well... but as a back-up. That's what he is and that's what you want him for ideally. He starts for the Pats because there are no other viable and/or better alternatives. Harmon should really be a FS as he seems to be more of a McCourty type. Wilson has made repeated mental errors, but has found a niche on ST. And I'm not sure you can say that BB prioritized the position. He spent second and third round picks on Wilson and Harmon, respectively. If he admits his mistake with Wilson and realizes that Wilson is a quality STer and that's about it, he could very well go safety very early and, in that scenario, go after a guy like Pryor as opposed to a guy like Ford.

He also missed the latter part of the season with injuries. Again, I'm very high on Fuller, but can his frame take the pounding of playing full time in that role?

Is it possible to say there's a direct correlation between his injury and his role? Plenty of college players get injured. He wouldn't play only as an enforcer, he'd he a slot corner who plays very well in run support like Arrington. In fairness he'd be too much of a luxury with Arrington and Ryan on the team but my real point was that these big hitting safeties are just too limited as players. Would Chancellor look as good on a defense without Sherman and Thomas? I think he'd be quite badly exposed.

I like Gregory as well... but as a back-up. That's what he is and that's what you want him for ideally. He starts for the Pats because there are no other viable and/or better alternatives. Harmon should really be a FS as he seems to be more of a McCourty type. Wilson has made repeated mental errors, but has found a niche on ST. And I'm not sure you can say that BB prioritized the position. He spent second and third round picks on Wilson and Harmon, respectively. If he admits his mistake with Wilson and realizes that Wilson is a quality STer and that's about it, he could very well go safety very early and, in that scenario, go after a guy like Pryor as opposed to a guy like Ford.

Gregory is better than that. First half of the season he was one of the better players on the defense.

Would Chancellor look as good on a defense without Sherman and Thomas? I think he'd be quite badly exposed.

A Patriot's safety didn't make the hit on Demaryius Thomas on the short cross all year long and I can't remember the last time one came off his man to make the play on Welker on the medium cross later in the game. I'll take me some exposed if that's what it's like.

Gregory is better than that. First half of the season he was one of the better players on the defense.

I said this in another thread but Gregory isn't as good as his proponents make him out to be and he's not as bad as his detractors will try to say either. If there was a stat like WAR or VORP in football Gregory would come out as a zero which is to say completely average. I'm sick of average at the safety position and want a difference maker.

A Patriot's safety didn't make the hit on Demaryius Thomas on the short cross all year long and I can't remember the last time one came off his man to make the play on Welker on the medium cross later in the game. I'll take me some exposed if that's what it's like.

You wouldn't be saying that when Someone like Bucannon gives up a 60 yard run because he missed a tackle or is caught way out of position on a deep ball. Not minding being exposed means not minding having Tavon Wilson as a starter.

When I think if Gregory, I always think of him on third down getting beat by a tight end or missing a key tackle on a running play.

I have no doubt that he is intelligent, but I just want an upgrade at that position. It seems like every game we are getting killed by a tight end, it's just so frustrating. He also doesn't bring any intimidation to the game either. All opponent's receivers have no fear going across the middle against us. With Spikes most likely leaving , we need a physical presence in the middle and I think it has to start at the safety position.

I think you're vastly overrating him, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think what you saw, vs. 2012, was that Gregory was less afraid afraid to fly to the ball this season (as opposed to last season) because he knew what kind of talent he had around him and knew they could cover for a lot of his mistakes. But his mistakes are ongoing. From the missed tackles to the poor angles he takes, they were still happening. Look around the secondary. Dennard, Arrington in the slot, Talib, and McCourty. With Arrington in the slot where he's the more natural fit, the clear and glaring weakness remaining is Gregory. He can certainly stand to be upgraded and there are some prospects early on where the Pats can spend draft capital in order to do so without hurting themselves at DL later on.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back