PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"More picks than we have roster spots for"

IMO the Pats have 6 picks not 9. .

Sultry-Edelman.gif

I find it hard to believe that the Pats will draft enough RBs to replace Gaffney/White/Cadet/Gray and Bolden (who just got an extension.

I agree that the patriots will not add 3-4 rookies. Personally, I think that Bolden is very, very likely to make the 53.

As for the rest, I wouldn't think that any of them are favored over rookies. If we drafted two rookies (a 1st down and a 3rd down RB) in the 3rd and 4th round, I don't think that they would have any trouble making the 53. In that case, ONE of Gray, Gaffney, White and Cadet would make the 53.

Love this thread.

And while I agree that there are 18-20 roster spots that are legitimately open to competition from rookies or free agents, NONE of the 20 that you've listed as "at risk" are a humiliation to have on the roster. Even the weakest of them (e.g. Barker, Devey, Morris, Fleming) are still legitimate prospects and with the ability to contribute.

So, the sentiment that we are flush with draft picks in excess of what the roster can carry, is not without some merit. If we had trash JAG talent at some or all of these positions, it would be drop dead easy for a 6th rounder to step in and win any of those jobs, just on the merit of being a rookie draft pick.

For Pats draftees, that is not the case. Any rookie coming into camp will need to clear a much higher bar than surviving and showing a glimmer of potential. They'll have to prove they can either contribute right away, or that their ceiling is high enough that they're worth cutting another legitimate prospect that's already in the system.

Halapio never made it onto the roster, because he couldn't beat out the likes of Devey and Barker. In a different era, the Pats would have given him a few months of regular season duty before giving up on him entirely. Halapio only had the duration of TC and Preseason to demonstrate his upside. That's the downside of being drafted by the Pats: a very short fuse, and a very high bar.

Speaking of Aiken... Long snapper is one role on the team (in addition to LG) where I see no compelling incumbent. Aiken has been on the bubble for years, and now he's an unsigned free agent. It sure seems like Belichick would be glad to find a viable alternative. Belichick played Ninkovich at the position last year, to save the roster spot. Tyler Ott is a prospect, but I could easily imagine BB spending one of his late picks on a rookie long snapper, and hope that he can become the next Snow Angel. A rookie LS would only have to beat Ott and Ninkovich for the job; how hard could that be?

while I agree that there are 18-20 roster spots that are legitimately open to competition from rookies or free agents, NONE of the 20 that you've listed as "at risk" are a humiliation to have on the roster. Even the weakest of them (e.g. Barker, Devey, Morris, Fleming) are still legitimate prospects and with the ability to contribute.

Agreed, it's a good position to be in! I'm not slamming any given player, nor am I suggesting that identifying 3 maybe-vulnerable players at a given position means ALL THREE would be bumped out. I just think that there a rookie who shows well can absolutely earn a roster spot anywhere on the field. Last year Malcolm Butler was up against an incredibly crowded CB corps and they still made room for him. There's always room for talent.

Speaking of Aiken... Long snapper is one role on the team (in addition to LG) where I see no compelling incumbent.

There's a LS from Navy this year. Just sayin'. ;)

I knew some people were going to take it this way and bring up Brady and Edelgod. Yes some of your late round picks will hit but I never expect any to as they usually don't. It is a pleasant surprise if you get anything at all from a late round pick and I don't look to fill holes on the team late round picks.

Agreed, it's a good position to be in! I'm not slamming any given player, nor am I suggesting that identifying 3 maybe-vulnerable players at a given position means ALL THREE would be bumped out. I just think that there a rookie who shows well can absolutely earn a roster spot anywhere on the field. Last year Malcolm Butler was up against an incredibly crowded CB corps and they still made room for him. There's always room for talent.

There's a LS from Navy this year. Just sayin'. ;)
My one and only draft prediction is that this long snapper will be drafted by Bill
in the 7th round.

Long snapper from Navy? LOL Sounds like a Belichickian dream scenario. Even better than Rutgers.

Yes some of your late round picks will hit but I never expect any to as they usually don't

Actually, NE is pretty consistent at having at least one 6th/7th rounder make the team.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

Since 2000, only three times (2007, 2008. 2011) did a 6th or 7th rounder fail to make the team. Of course, in the latter two, it was a total of 3 selections. And it can't be overlooked that 2011 was when The Legend of Markell Carter was born.

By comparison, eight draft classes have had multiple 6th or 7th round selections make the opening day roster.

Last edited:
Actually, NE is pretty consistent at having at least one 6th/7th rounder make the team.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

Since 2000, only three times (2007, 2008. 2011) did a 6th or 7th rounder fail to make the team. Of course, in the latter two, it was a total of 3 selections. And it can't be overlooked that 2011 was when The Legend of Markell Carter was born.

By comparison, eight draft classes have had multiple 6th or 7th round selections make the opening day roster.

I understand that but I was not so much talking about making the team as much as making an impact and turning into a rotational player or starter on O or D. That is what I mean by hit.

I probably should have been more clear on that but your post was very interesting. I am curious how we stack up to other good teams in 6th and 7ths making it. Doing it league wide be unfair cause the Jags probably keep all their picks every year : P

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back