MMQB: The foresight and discipline of Belichick in signing free agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
MMQB: The foresight and discipline of Belichick in signing free agents

NFL free agency about discipline for Belichick, Patriots | The MMQB with Peter King

I edited this... all emphasis mine.

"During one recent offseason, a veteran player came to Foxborough for a free-agent visit. As his agent and director of player personnel Nick Caserio closed in on terms for a multi-year deal, the player got fitted for a helmet, picked out a locker—all the things you do when you’re about to settle in with your new team. The numbers were done before dinnertime, and all that was left to do was type up the contract.

Then, Bill Belichick called, not from New England, but rather, a warm beachside destination with some bad news. “I can’t do this deal,” he said to the agent. What? Why? Belichick couldn’t sign off on the terms the agent and Caserio had discussed. Of issue, Belichick explained, was the final year of the deal. Based on what the player’s age would be in that last year, and the position he plays, Belichick expected that he would be declining out of a starting role by that point.

The player could head home and go back on the open market, Belichick suggested. The other option was to re-open negotiations, and carve out a seven-figure chunk of money out of the back end of the deal. And that’s exactly what happened. The player signed for the reduced terms, and guess what? He started exactly the number of years Belichick guessed he would, and no more."
<microphone drop> :)

____

Awesome... dude has freakin' x-ray vision into the future. LOL Plus, I love the line about...

C54wKgyWUAQok4N.jpg

..."warm beachside location." :)

I think you should have also added the Jason Licht quote about money vs. production which to me is the money quote of the entire article and also gives a nice perspective on the Allen/Bennett situation.

“I made some mistakes my first year,” Licht says. “The difference in a player that’s making ‘X’ amount of dollars (higher) to making this much (lower), what’s the difference in his talent level? The Patriots do a great job of saying, The difference in money doesn’t make sense to pay for this difference in talent.”

So who do we think King's unnamed player is?

The thing I was most wowed by? That the last time Mitch Trubisky went UNDER CENTER was in 6th grade!

While BB is great, I would be pretty PO'd if I was the unnamed player or agent that was involved in that deal.

While BB is great, I would be pretty PO'd if I was the unnamed player or agent that was involved in that deal.

Well, the player and agent could have gone back onto the market. They didn't. Ergo, they couldn't have been TOO pi$$ed off. Or maybe they realized that less money from BB and the Pats was still their best deal. JMHO.

So who do we think King's unnamed player is?
Has to be some guy who came in as an UFA, probably in his late 20's, was a starter for at least 3 years, and then was a back up at the end of his contract. Who does that discribe?

Well, the player and agent could have gone back onto the market. They didn't. Ergo, they couldn't have been TOO pi$$ed off. Or maybe they realized that less money from BB and the Pats was still their best deal. JMHO.
They came back when they realized that the money being taken was for when BB felt the Pats wouldn't be worth it. They realized BB was willing to pay them what they wanted for the time he expected to get production from him.

BB WILL pay for the production he thinks the money is worth. When he thinks the production is great, he will pay top dollar like he did with AThomas, which he got at first, until he found out AThomas wasn't as positionally flexible as he thought....and got rid of him. Rosie Colvin was another example that didn't work out quite as expected but that was because of a traumatic injury

With the absurd and disrespectful (to Malcolm Butler & Logan Ryan) contract to which Bill signed Stephon Gilmore, we can now sh!tcan that article as just another ignorant piece of trash from Peter the Queen of All Media.

But as a Patriots fan, I don't care who gets upset or insulted. I just care if they get him or not.

I really don't think about players feelings when traded or released any longer. Take Willie McGinist...I LOVED him as a player and still love the guy. He's the ultimate Patriots warrior, but Belichick traded him toward the end of his career.

I was sad, but not for Willie. It was because I was going to miss him. It's all about business and continuing our winning tradition.

So why "feel bad" for a player? Certainly not because his "feelings" got very, very hurt

Last edited:
They came back when they realized that the money being taken was for when BB felt the Pats wouldn't be worth it. They realized BB was willing to pay them what they wanted for the time he expected to get production from him.

BB WILL pay for the production he thinks the money is worth. When he thinks the production is great, he will pay top dollar like he did with AThomas, which he got at first, until he found out AThomas wasn't as positionally flexible as he thought....and got rid of him. Rosie Colvin was another example that didn't work out quite as expected but that was because of a traumatic injury
It's similar to hiring a contractor.

I had a contractor give me an absurd price for a job and I told him it was absurd. He said I didn't know what his overhead was or how much it cost to insure his family.

I told him he's right and I honestly don't care how much it cost him. What mattered to me was his price compared to other offers I received.

So if the guy was insulted, I don't care. That's on him not me. I want the best value for my money just like Belichick

Emotion and feelings have no place in business decisions

With the absurd and disrespectful (to Malcolm Butler & Logan Ryan) contract to which Bill signed Stephon Gilmore, we can now sh!tcan that article as just another ignorant piece of trash from Peter the Queen of All Media.
That is simply ludicrous statement. Why are you and so many others demanding the Pats pay Butler UFA money to a player who has YET to reach free agency. I can understand why the mediots are doing it. They are simply trolling, but you're supposed to be a fan.

Get your calculator out. UFA comes after 4 years in the NFL for players outside of the first round. Now here is where the math gets tough, Capt'n. Butler has only been in the league THREE years!

Oh the unjustice of it all. Think about it. 3 years ago the only corner Malcolm was covering was the drive thru at Popeyes. Then those mean old Patriots gave him the opportunity to earn a half million dollars in the NFL for being the last DB on the roster. And if they wasn't enough, they gave him a chance to earn close to another $2MM over the next 2 years while he developed into one of the best CB's in the league..

Then wouldn't you know it that those bastards ONLY gave him a raise of over 400% to play in his fourth season ($4MM). And to think those sons of *****es want to force to live on just $4MM for a whole year more before he can make over $12MM when he actually reaches true FA.

If ONLY Malcolm could have seen the future, he DEFINITELY would have stayed a Popeyes. Who know he probably would have made shift manager by now. :rolleyes:

pr.......my old friend

i understand missing his name by a little

but thats really not close for a well known player
I didn't care enough to look it up

I'm also on the west coast for work lacking sleep

McGinist? Fug, now I have to look it up

And if I'm your old friend, you changed your screen name

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes