PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Minor Gripe: Season Naming Convention

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
COVID concerns exist, players are opting out, there are major issues with sports in general right now.

Why not take a break from that for a second for something trivial.

Has it bothered anyone else the NFL season naming convention only refers to the year in which the season starts?

Well, there is logic to it. After all, some years the non-playoff teams don't even see the new year. Even the teams that go to the Super Bowl play a majority of their games before the calendar turn BUT...……..

I don't know if this has bothered anyone else, BUT when the Pats won the Super Bowl in February of 2019 they were declared the 2018 champions. So even moments after winning the championship it already feels 'old' by calling them 2018 champs. After all, you are already into the second month of the new year.

So I would prefer if they were called the 2018-2019 Champs like in the NBA or NHL. Then when you buy the championship gear or memorabilia it won't already feel 'old'.

I realize this is a small gripe but has it bugged anyone else? (Talk about rich people problems, right? My championship gear feels old before it actually is.)

It also offers an unfair loophole in trivia contests as well.

Like if someone said...…..who won the 2016 Super Bowl?

Is that referring to the Super Bowl that was literally played in 2016 or the Super Bowl at the end of the 2016 season?

People who use the season the post season occurred instead of the season the entire regular season happens under should he shot. That is not hyperbole.

People who use the season the post season occurred instead of the season the entire regular season happens under should he shot. That is not hyperbole.
threatening violence on this board? when are the mods going to ban this contentious, negative troll?

Has it bothered anyone else the NFL season naming convention only refers to the year in which the season starts?

90% of the season happens in the year it starts.

If you are really bothered by it just call it the 19/20 season and 19/20 SB. Any ambiguity gone.

HauntingInformalBronco-size_restricted.gif

I hate how creamed corn is not really made with cream at all. It's a mucous-like substance but not cream. So sick of this can of deliciousness being misnamed.

Chalk up another thing that sucks about 2020: the longest offseason in NFL history.

COVID concerns exist, players are opting out, there are major issues with sports in general right now.

Why not take a break from that for a second for something trivial.

Well, there is logic to it. After all, some years the non-playoff teams don't even see the new year. Even the teams that go to the Super Bowl play a majority of their games before the calendar turn BUT...……..

I don't know if this has bothered anyone else, BUT when the Pats won the Super Bowl in February of 2019 they were declared the 2018 champions. So even moments after winning the championship it already feels 'old' by calling them 2018 champs. After all, you are already into the second month of the new year.

So I would prefer if they were called the 2018-2019 Champs like in the NBA or NHL. Then when you buy the championship gear or memorabilia it won't already feel 'old'.

I realize this is a small gripe but has it bugged anyone else? (Talk about rich people problems, right? My championship gear feels old before it actually is.)
The season naming convention didn't bother me, but what did bother me is how IMHO football players get screwed when it comes to Sportsman of the Year awards. Obviously plenty of football players have won such awards, including our own Tom Brady, but I always thought having the Championship at the very beginning of the year would hurt a player. By the end of the year, the Super Bowl is long forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes