PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Brewster Center No. 50 Ohio State

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaZX6R

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
-Four year starter.
-Came to Ohio State as a LT. Played his entire HS as a LT.
-Never played C ever till freshman year.
-Became a full time starter as a freshman, 3 games in due to an injury

Before this year, I thought he would be a perfect fit for a team that uses the zone blocking. But this offseason, he gained 15lbs, going from 300ish to 315. He looks stronger and sturdy from what I saw for the last 3 years. A bit of Nick Mangold, something I never saw from him the last three years.

So since I was doing a weekly Mike Brewster videos, I needed a sole thread dedicated to him.

So, watch and discuss.

Akron-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvzsQrHCBNU

Toledo-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAywJs2bYFo

Last edited:
Man, I can't wait for the MSU-OSU game to see how he matches up with Worthy and Rashard-White.

-Four year starter.
-Came to Ohio State as a LT. Played his entire HS as a LT.
-Never played C ever till freshman year.
-Became a full time starter as a freshman, 3 games in due to an injury

Before this year, I thought he would be a perfect fit for a team that uses the zone blocking. But this offseason, he gained 15lbs, going from 300ish to 315. He looks stronger and sturdy from what I saw for the last 3 years. A bit of Nick Mangold, something I never saw from him the last three years.

So since I was doing a weekly Mike Brewster videos, I needed a sole thread dedicated to him.

So, watch and discuss.

Akron-
No. 50-Mike Brewster Center Ohio State vs Akron 2011 - YouTube

Toledo-
Mike Brewster Center Ohio State vs Toledo - YouTube

He might be worth a look, if Konz does not declre.

Scott Wright, Draft Countdown, in his underated, overrated section, he says Konz is the most overated center in the country. For what it's worth and picks Brewster as the best center, as do most pundits. Just sayin !

Ninja, sorry didn't mention it before, you did a nice job.

Great stuff, Brother Ninja. :cool:

Been a fan of Brewster for a LONG time: Actually had him in my early Mocks, last year, PRAYING that he'd declare!! :D

Wouldn't mind Jones, either.

Scott Wright, Draft Countdown, in his underated, overrated section, he says Konz is the most overated center in the country. For what it's worth and picks Brewster as the best center, as do most pundits. Just sayin !

Don't know if that is true or not about the Wisc center. I've never really watched him. Last year I was too busy paying attention to LG Monfitt and LT Camiri. If Wisc is on, I'll take a look.

Don't know if that is true or not about the Wisc center. I've never really watched him. Last year I was too busy paying attention to LG Monfitt and LT Camiri. If Wisc is on, I'll take a look.

Konz is a monster, but he's still very raw. He's nowhere near as polished as Brewster, but he's much more effective, in my opinion. He's huge and powerful, and they pull him on sweeps all the time, so he has plenty of mobility. I think he could handle big NT one-on-one, and that would allow the Patriots even more flexibility with their offense.

Love the work Ninja. If you could keep this going all year we'd have a lot to look at during the offseason.

Would like to see a individual thread for Konz highlights and videos if you could find the time.

Love the work Ninja. If you could keep this going all year we'd have a lot to look at during the offseason.

Would like to see a individual thread for Konz highlights and videos if you could find the time.

So far, I downloaded Boise St vs UGA, USC vs UGA, and another game w. a potential Pats players. Have not downloaded a Wisc Game. The uploader has not uploaded any Wisc game. As soon as he does, I will download it. I plan on working on the college games after the season ends. Good thing I have a 2TB external hard drive lol.

Watched some of the OSU and Miami game last night and Brewster looked average at best. On running plays he got some movement,but on passing plays he struggled with the quickness of the big Miami DT's and got beat a couple of times.

His technique and strength appear adequate, but his quickness is lacking.

Watched some of the OSU and Miami game last night and Brewster looked average at best. On running plays he got some movement,but on passing plays he struggled with the quickness of the big Miami DT's and got beat a couple of times.

His technique and strength appear adequate, but his quickness is lacking.

I watched the game to and came away unimpressed and a bit bewildered too. His right guard is not very good. Anyhone notice when he hiked the ball he was basically alone on a island on several plays? I found it weird and wondered why blockers weren't engaging him or vice versa. I'm assuming they were stacking the ends and using delayed blitzes. Anyway, not a very good game from him. I've seen him play better. Also his QB is about as mobile as Marino.

I watched the game to and came away unimpressed and a bit bewildered too. His right guard is not very good. Anyhone notice when he hiked the ball he was basically alone on a island on several plays? I found it weird and wondered why blockers weren't engaging him or vice versa. I'm assuming they were stacking the ends and using delayed blitzes. Anyway, not a very good game from him. I've seen him play better. Also his QB is about as mobile as Marino.

Plz don't insult Marino. lol. That qb Joe Bauserman, is the ubber definition of Epic Fail. He was 2/13 for 13 yards for the WHOLE Freaking game. It was disgusting to watch. I swear, if Miller isn't the QB for next week, I'm going to stab some fool when I go to OSU for school. He had good time to throw the ball, and all he did was over throw some or one hop a WR/TE.

As for Brew, you are correct. HE had better days. I did see him get beat couple of times. And yeah, except for Brew and the useless RT (who shockingly didn't have an annual false start for each game), they are all 1st yr starters, redshirt fresh and sophs.

I've have to download the game and produce it. God I need some bleach and draino to watch that pitiful game again. Good Lord Yeesh!!!!:mad:

nepatriotsdraft.com on Mike BrewsterT

they say he's best center prospect and list him at #21, Draft Ace & Draft Breakdown both have him at # 19. I'm hoping for 16 or higher. Though even at 16 it would take our 1st,2nd and 3rd rd. picks, to protect Tom its worth it.

Re: nepatriotsdraft.com on Mike BrewsterT

Not to pick on you. But, couldn't this have been put under the other Mike Brewster thread? 6 threads down?? He may not even be worth a 1st. Let alone a 1, 2 and 3. I'm beginning to dislike this kid already. Many other sites don't even have him as a 1st rounder. With Solder devoping nicely and Matt Light back next year. And, with B. Waters around to groom M. Cannon this year and next year. C isn't as big a need as this team has. I'd like to get one. Might spend one first or Oakland 2nd on one. But, no way in hell am I giving up multiple picks for Brewster.

I'm pretty sure Dan Koppen was a 5th rounder. Dan Connolly, the guy who's doing pretty well at Center in Koppen's absence was undrafted.

Good Centers are not that hard to find. And usually don't even go in the first round. Also, don't forget: We have Dante Scarnecchia. The coach who turned a college wrestler who didn't even play football in college into a damn fine RG.

That being said. I've watched Brewster a little and I don't get the appeal. He wasn't bad. Just kind of average. I would think the OC that some draft sites are drooling over would stand out even to my amateur eye.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure Dan Koppen was a 5th rounder. Dan Connolly, the guy who's doing pretty well at Center in Koppen's absence was undrafted.

Good Centers are not that hard to find. And usually don't even go in the first round. Also, don't forget: We have Dante Scarnecchia. The coach who turned a college wrestler who didn't even play football in college into a damn fine RG.

That being said. I've watched Brewster a little and I don't get the appeal. He wasn't bad. Just kind of average. I would think the OC that some draft sites are drooling over would stand out even to my amateur eye.

You are absolutely correct on Dante. He can make a decent blocker great in a year or two.

The thing we like most about Brewster is his attitude and his perceived football IQ.

His line calls almost always look impeccable, with Pryor probably being little help. Technique you can correct quickly, having the mental acumen to jump in right away in the Patriots system is special.

I should have not started a new thread. My bad, my not so good,whatever.

I'm sorry about Brewster's name being mentioned so often but, a lot of us draftniks remember that it was pressure up the middle that spelled our doom from 2007 to present. When so many people liken him to Mangold, that's reason enough to get excited. And as good as Koppen has been, this new breed ( Suh, Ngata etc.,etc.) is way too much for him to handle. How often does Woolfolk get by Mangold?

Peachhead, for every center that was drafted last year and is starting I'll give you two points and for every two rounds that no center is starting I get 1 point. They must be starting at center. Here goes.

Rd1- Pouncey- Miami- you get 2 pts.
Rds 2-3- nobody - you are ahead 1 pt.
Rds 3-4 nobody- all tied up, Let's call the game and say if you can get a player like Brady, protect him the best you can.

Here's one pretty good draft site that has him the number two C. 84th overall. You're seriously over-rating him. The Pouncey picked by the Steelers went 18th overall. And, Brewster isn't near the prospect he was. I also added a 2nd list and they don't have him in their top 32 either. ESPN Scout Inc.. Not sure where they have him. But, stops at 32.

NFL Draft - 2012_C Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

NFL Draft 2012 - ESPN

It's a wee bit early to be burying Brewster, isn't it??

1 ~ The vital importance of an elite Center cannot be overstated.

2 ~ Koppen is good, but that doesn't make him good enough.

3 ~ We can win Championships with him...But our chances of doing so would increase significantly with a Nick Mangold or Marquis ~ sorry: I cannot abide "Maurkice" ~ Pouncey.

Would Brewster ~ or Jones, or Konz, in the extremely unlikely event of his declaring ~ constitute a dramatic upgrade of Koppen or Connolly??

Too early to say for sure.

4 ~ But Brewster does show precisely that potential.

Leave us not forget how hideously awful that none other than our man Nate "Universal" Solder looked in that game against Cali, exactly one year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes