PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Midweek thoughts...I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least once I'd like to see Big Vince lined up in the backfield at the goal line.
He has a ton more athleticism than The Fridge Perry ever did. I envision Waters & Connoley just standing up & Vince playing giant bowling ball.

But Big Vince won't get a strike unless the Ravens have 12 men on the field

At least once I'd like to see Big Vince lined up in the backfield at the goal line.
He has a ton more athleticism than The Fridge Perry ever did. I envision Waters & Connoley just standing up & Vince playing giant bowling ball.

I think I would like to see Cannon in that situation. Believe it or not, Cannon outweighs Wilfork by almost 30 pounds. He also is 3 inches taller.

so ..... youre saying that he hasn't lost a step, but he's lost a step?

the ravens were 4-0 without him....they had their best defensive game of the year without him

if a game changer is going to appear from the ravens, I'd bet it won't be lewis. he's hit that age. he will go nuts sunday, which will likely cause him to overpursue.

Ray Lewis has lost steps but I wouldn't count on him making mental mistakes. Common.

I think I would like to see Cannon in that situation. Believe it or not, Cannon outweighs Wilfork by almost 30 pounds. He also is 3 inches taller.

Such WMDs are outlawed by the Geneva Convention

The more I think about this game the more I think it's key to target and exploit both Ed Reed and Ray Lewis. Welcome to bizarro world. I can't believe I'm thinking this but I see major vulnerabilities in the two best players at their respective position of their generation.

It's pretty clear to me that Ray Lewis, one of my favorite players ever (hence the 52), has not lost a step. He has lost two steps. He can't sidestep blocks like he used to, and this has greatly hurt his shed game. His anticipation is still there, his tenacity is still there, but he physically has dropped off dramatically. I see him as being easily exploited in the wham game because if Gronk can earhole Ngata I think the back can beat Lewis. I think Connoly and the guards can reach and seal him easily. I'm focusing a lot on his run fits because I think at this stage he is exclusively a run defender. I also think that the Ravens will try to force the Pats to run with lighter sets and six man boxes. I anticipate a gameplan with a lot of check with me calls. If the Pats can find a way to isolate him on a back (or, more specifically Hernandez by aligning him in the backfield) they can also exploit him readily in the passing game.

While I still think Ed Reed makes tremendous reads and baits better than anyone, it's clear to me that he can't tackle anymore. His will is there, but his body isn't capable of doing it anymore. What's the key? Get Gronk on him, and establish it early. It will be a challenge because I think Baltimore will high-low Gronk and press him with a dlineman, but with motion and spacing I think the offense will find a way to force Reed to matchup physically with Gronkowski. Not only am I certain Gronk will run him over, but Reed's ball skills will be negated by Gronk's catch radius and overall body positioning. How crazy is it so say a major focus on the gameplan should be to throw directly at Reed? It's true, though, and an advantageous matchup.

So there's my wednesday thoughts. What are yours?

I agree that Ray isn't as fast as he used to be (dude is like 76 years old, after all), and Ed has openly stated that his injury causes him to miss tackles on occasion.

But two things about that:

1) Ray doesn't need to be a speed demon, especially in this particular game. NE isn't really a threat to beat us with screens to the HB, and outrunning a guy like Gronk is the least of our worries when covering him.

2) The injuries have done nothing to diminish Ed's coverage. I suppose after leading the league in INT last year despite missing 6 games, it shouldnt be a shock that he has been absolutely avoided all year long; but it is still frustrating in a way to see Ed get so few opportunities to make plays. So it was refreshing to see a rookie test Reed's chin last week, lol...

That said, those two aren't even our best players anymore. Suggs has really come into his own, and Ngata is close to 100% after dealing with injuries the last couple months.

I agree that Ray isn't as fast as he used to be (dude is like 76 years old, after all), and Ed has openly stated that his injury causes him to miss tackles on occasion.

But two things about that:

1) Ray doesn't need to be a speed demon, especially in this particular game. NE isn't really a threat to beat us with screens to the HB, and outrunning a guy like Gronk is the least of our worries when covering him.

2) The injuries have done nothing to diminish Ed's coverage. I suppose after leading the league in INT last year despite missing 6 games, it shouldnt be a shock that he has been absolutely avoided all year long; but it is still frustrating in a way to see Ed get so few opportunities to make plays. So it was refreshing to see a rookie test Reed's chin last week, lol...

That said, those two aren't even our best players anymore. Suggs has really come into his own, and Ngata is close to 100% after dealing with injuries the last couple months.

Yup. Ngata will be seeing constant double teams. He's that good. And Suggs is a threat to rush the passer among other things. Pats handled Von Miller and Dumervil pretty well though. The Pats OL play is really a BIG key to this game and how they handle the Ravens front 7 and give Brady time to throw. If Brady has time to throw, the Pats will put up 30+ easily.

And I think you already know about our tight ends. Talented, big, versatile, and dangerous. No DC has yet found a way to shut down both Gronk and Hernandez. If you ignore Gronk he will make you pay and Hernandez is a matchup nightmare all over the field. We use his versatility to get an edge. There's really no LBer out there that can cover Hernandez one on one.

And the Pats still scored 27 against Miami and 49 against Buffalo. Ok, so the Bills may have had a good game plan but lousy personnel (they were ranked #

But the Dolphins had the #6 defense (points allowed) in the league and the Patriots rolled them in the 2nd half.

I think you guys make a lot of good points in this thread. One thing that is obvious but maybe overlooked is that the Pats are at home. With all the checks at the line, it's going to be a huge help to NE to not have to deal with crowd noise.

I truly believe this is one of the reasons the Ravens defense at home is clearly better than the Ravens defense on the road. I don't think it gets talked about much, but that place gets loud. Was there for Monday night in 2007 and between the fans, the band and the speakers that blast the band into the different areas of the stadium so that the fans can hear the band, it can become very, very hostile. Although I don't think the band plays while the plays are imminent.

When we were playing those last regular season games to win the first seed, I kept thinking that it didn't really matter that much if we ended up with the 2nd seed. But it seems that was quite wrong because if we were headed to Baltimore this weekend I'd be feeling very differently about this game. This year, every single game counted.

(and yes, I'm bumping this awesome thread because I think it deserves to stay on the front page over most of the other one that are there now)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back