PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Vick Linked to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsChowder

On the Roster
Reaction score
I wish I was kidding about this one, but Peter King is reporting that the Patriots may be among a handful of teams interested in signing the ex-con.

I heard this yesterday. King is still throwing things at the Patriot wall in hopes that something will stick. :rolleyes:

I heard this yesterday. King is still throwing things at the Patriot wall in hopes that something will stick. :rolleyes:

Must be one of his reliable sources from prison

I think there's a couple of things going on here. One, various members of the media received orders from their bosses to put together something on where Vick might play since he is in the news, being released from prison. The websites/newspaper/magazines wanted to have something in regards to this speculation in order to avoid being left behind by their competitors. King, Clayton and others have no idea, but since that was what they were ordered to write about, that's what they did.

Both King and Clayton named four or five teams and both made it a point to say they were just guessing at where Vick may end up, with no inside information to back it up. In other words, "I have no idea, but my boss said I had to write about this topic."

The other thing is that both King and Clayton are using Moss and Dillon as examples of why the Pats could go with Vick. But besides the fact that Vick does not fit the Pats' scheme, what they are really missing is that those three can't be lumped together. The media painted the picture of Moss and Dillon as malcontent, locker room-cancer troublemakers; perhaps that portrayal was incorrect? Of course to say that then these writers would need to go and admit their previous opinions were wrong; instead, they can write about how Belichick and the rest of the Patriots magically transformed the personality of a person that had evolved over the course of 30 years in a matter of just a few weeks.

I don't believe that the Pats have the power to change someone's personality that dramatically that quickly. However I do believe that they are very good evaluators of talent and do not let media portrayals of a person cloud their judgement. And that is why some players such as Moss and Dillon have come in and surpassed expectations, while other players like Chris Henry and Adam Jones will never play for the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore