PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mcgrone/Bledsoe what’s the plan?

I didn't think you were shooting holes.

That comment is directed at others who think they are make a living shooting holes, rarely being positive unless the player is All Pro. Most guys do not make it in the NFL, more players are drafted than spots available - so criticizing will always be more right than wrong, especially when the criticism is the 5th round and above.

Don't aim that bullsh!t at me either.

I know this is the wrong place to ask, but what is the status of Ronnie Perkins?

I didn't think you were shooting holes.

That comment is directed at others who think they are make a living shooting holes, rarely being positive unless the player is All Pro. Most guys do not make it in the NFL, more players are drafted than spots available - so criticizing will always be more right than wrong, especially when the criticism is the 5th round and above.

Others…..

1638013628676.gif

Kick the tires, let them practice and see what they can do, give them valuable practice reps. They'll be hard pressed to make this defense now.

Rookies always have a hard time making a playoff caliber Patriot team, regardless the round they were drafted.

Prospects are just prospects, it's literally in the name.

The average NFL career lasts three years, the majority of draft picks don't work.

Fan expectations for draft picks is absurd.

I have been dreaming about a Devin White type ILB for a while. I feel it is a necessary addition to our LB mix. I think today's offenses demand it and I don't think the fact he is light in the pants at 233 makes us vulnerable to inside runs, if he is flanked by a good sized ILBing partner. Remember when we have the correct personnel, 3-4 is the preferred alignment.

Bottom line we NEED more speed in the middle of our defense. McGrone has the POTENTIAL to be that guy. He was THAT impressive that we grabbed him even though he didn't play much his last season in Michigan. The fact that he's now is practicing only adds to his value for next year. Even scout team reps are valuable. I'm not sure if they will activate him when the time comes. I guess it will depend on how he looks, But even if they don't these reps can only help.

2 other points.

a. the way they do ACL surgery now, there is no reason] for a player to lose speed or agility after the procedure

b. players on the IR get paid whatever their contract is, the full amount.

b. players on the IR get paid whatever their contract is, the full amount.

This is true, but McGrone is on the NFI list right now, not the IR. The Patriots could withhold his salary if they wanted to play hardball. They'd be jerks for doing it, but they could.

This is true, but McGrone is on the NFI list right now, not the IR. The Patriots could withhold his salary if they wanted to play hardball. They'd be jerks for doing it, but they could.

IIRC, the Pats have paid a little extra in those kind of situations in the past. Again, IIRC, the League has eliminated their ability to pay the practice squad guys more than the standard amount (once again, Patriot's innovation and excellence gets snuffed out by the Level Playing Field League).

Imagine if Wade works out too. I consider him part of this year’s draft class, though technically he’s not.
There were a few draft guides that had Wade rated as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect, and that was after an injury plagued last year at Ohio State. The kid has talent, if he could stay healthy, could be a great pickup. Sneaky move by Belichick that could pay dividends.

Agree, Its week 12 now, so they can practice through week 15, so the timing seems about right. You would have to think that they would be an upgrade over Munson and Bryant.

Imagine if either one of them pans out, this might go down as the best BB draft class ever.

The best BB draft class ever was clearly 2000. Nothing comes close.

Been watching tape of Lloyd, the linebacker from Utah,
He should be available at the end of the first round and although he is only 235 pounds, he would add a huge tackling and pass coverage dimension.

think today's offenses demand it and I don't think the fact he is light in the pants at 233 makes us vulnerable to inside runs

It hurt last year when Adrian Phillips was forced into that role, but I guess he is 20lb lighter still.

Plenty of speed if you can get Dugger, Phillips and McGrone on the field at the same time. Belichick has always been partial to Safety/LB hybrids.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back