PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDaniels trying to get Quinn now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A.) This rumor is false

B.) McDaniels is truly an idiot and is totally willing to abandon his franchise QB.

Choice B is very unlikely. Choice A is correct!!

Rumor or truth the fact is that Josh McD has unwittingly stepped into a **** storm. This is not good for the young HC's 1st job following on the heels of a great although recently failed HC. Donks fans were already frustrated with years of playoff failure and now a QB controversey as a team attempts to restructure cannot be helpfull. If Josh REALLY wanted Cassel he needed to convince his owner/GM to let BB know in no uncertain terms that Denvah would be prepated to deal strongly and rapidly. He didn't and now reaps the messy result for indecisevness and equivocation.

Rumor or truth the fact is that Josh McD has unwittingly stepped into a **** storm. This is not good for the young HC's 1st job following on the heels of a great although recently failed HC. Donks fans were already frustrated with years of playoff failure and now a QB controversey as a team attempts to restructure cannot be helpfull. If Josh REALLY wanted Cassel he needed to convince his owner/GM to let BB know in no uncertain terms that Denvah would be prepated to deal strongly and rapidly. He didn't and now reaps the messy result for indecisevness and equivocation.

Just a question and I really don't care, but has Cutler EVER won anything other than a regular season game? Pro Bowl? Senior Bowl? Bingo at the local VFW?

Just a question and I really don't care, but has Cutler EVER won anything other than a regular season game? Pro Bowl? Senior Bowl? Bingo at the local VFW?

Has he EVER played on a decent team? Vanderbilt and post-Al Wilson Denver do not qualify.

Cutler has had very good receivers and a very good offensive line. With the line only giving up 11 sacks last year, Cutler still threw 18 int's, second only to Brett Favre. He's also very expensive. Combine these things with his spoiled child-like emotional state, and the fact that the entire offensive system is changing and he'll have to relearn all the verbage, the deal isn't as bad as it looks on first glance. I don't think it is true, and might not be a great idea for such a young, new HC, but the deal isn't nearly as flawed as some of you say. Don't fall for rumors, guys, this likely isn't even true.

go look at stats and wins vs losses.. Then tell me if Cutler is better.. He's not..

You know full well that is a stupid argument. You have a bad team around you (a la Denver D), it won't matter.

go look at stats and wins vs losses.. Then tell me if Cutler is better.. He's not..

Problem being that Cassel has only shown one year playing for an 18-1 team vs Cutler's longer resume on a far more flawed team whose D hasn't helped its offense. 'One year wonder' throwing to HOF Randy Moss is a mantra Cassel will need to overcome. Me, I'm confident that Cassel IS the real deal, but I'm not an NFL GM.

Last edited:
If I'm McDaniels, I'd do it. I'm not enamored of Cutler, and I think Quinn can be a good NFL QB. I think they'll end up about the same in their careers. But the real prize in the deal is Shaun Rogers. The Broncos had an absolutely heinous defense last year, so shoring up that area should be the prime directive.

I'd love to see it happen, it would set a tone in Denver that McDaniels is the boss and get rid of a crybaby who is looking like a non-performer. How much pure talent someone has is not the end all, if they have a crappy attitude that will infect the rest of the team they're not doing you any good.

I'd much rather have a good player who is all about helping the team than a more talented jackass only concerned with himself.

Cutler has had very good receivers and a very good offensive line. With the line only giving up 11 sacks last year, Cutler still threw 18 int's, second only to Brett Favre. He's also very expensive. Combine these things with his spoiled child-like emotional state, and the fact that the entire offensive system is changing and he'll have to relearn all the verbage, the deal isn't as bad as it looks on first glance. I don't think it is true, and might not be a great idea for such a young, new HC, but the deal isn't nearly as flawed as some of you say. Don't fall for rumors, guys, this likely isn't even true.

Cutler is a gunslinger at heart. Plus he's an emotional wuss. Not the ideal candidate to run the system Josh ran with NE. That system being the same system Charlie Weiss installed at ND...

Cutler isn't expensive, but he wants to be and that's the other thing in play here. He wanted a new deal and contract negotiations had stalled. He only makes $6-7M per for the remainder of his rookie deal, and only got $11M guaranteed which is long since achieved. He's a type 1 diabetic playing a contact sport in altitude and the elements with no long term security and a new sheriff in town installing a system that isn't taylored to his skills or mindset.

Cassel would have been a far better fit for McDaniels in Denver. But Quinn might still be a better fit than Cutler.

What doesn't make sense is the last time Ratgini took on a gunslinger it cost him his job. But who knows, in NY Mangini exhibited a propensity for alienating players he inherits. Maybe he just never learns. Apparently he's not thrilled with Anderson or Quinn... Last time he pulled that Miami ended up with Pennington and they went to the playoffs while Eric got canned.

Has he EVER played on a decent team? Vanderbilt and post-Al Wilson Denver do not qualify.

I don't know, I don't care - I'm just asking if he's won anything other than regular season games.

Everyone's acting like he's a great game changing QB (Including himself) -Is he?

While so many of you are running around gloating over McDaniel's supposed failure, can any one of you name Denver's "rookie" GM? Unlike Shanahan, McDaniels didn't get a checkbook and the keys to the Donkeymobile, there are two decision makers involved in whatever may be happening in Denver. [/reality] We now return to the previously unscheduled bashing of Josh McDaniel, already in progress.

This whole situation is just ridiculous. If any of this is true McDaniels needs to take a long breath and and let Culter cool down. Cutler is acting like a bit of a whiner but given time I'm sure everything will settle down. He is a tremendous talent.
Never understood the love for Cutler. He has averaged 1 INT per game for his entire career, and has never had a winning season.

2006 2-3
2007 7-9
2008 8-8, except for the Hoculi gift game, he'd have posted three losing seasons

He choked away the last three games of 2008. Had a three-game lead in the division with three games to go, and lost them all.

While so many of you are running around gloating over McDaniel's supposed failure, can any one of you name Denver's "rookie" GM? Unlike Shanahan, McDaniels didn't get a checkbook and the keys to the Donkeymobile, there are two decision makers involved in whatever may be happening in Denver. [/reality] We now return to the previously unscheduled bashing of Josh McDaniel, already in progress.

"Keys to the Donkeymobile" - Dude, that was funny!

BTW - I looked up Jay Cutler's stats - WOW! Impressive!!!

Win/Loss - 17/20
No Play-Off appearences
62.5% Completion Prctg.
Td's/Ints - 54/37
QB Rating 87.1%

In case you're looking you can look him up under, JAG.

Or as Kyle on South Park said to Cutler on an episode, "Nice to meet you. I mean, you kinda suck, but my dad says you might be good some day."

EDIT: HE was a Pro Bowler last year, beating out The Cassel - What a joke.

Last edited:

I agree that Brian Xander gets a free pass from the McDaniels' bashers. McDaniels may have influenced the push for Cassel, but it was Xander's job to get the trade done. Xander was late to the party.

The media whining about this is another way to get at BB.

I guess the theory of attacking the trunk is to go after a grafted branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back