PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty did less than Kuechly and got called [PICTURE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at least Goodell ended his night with a stiffie and a smile on his face.

anyone have video of the DL (vellano maybe?) getting tackled from behind as he closes on Newton right before Newton's 75 yard run to gain 14 and a first down?

cause that non-call pissed me off, too

you guys are ridiculous. Who in their right mind could think Olsen was doing the holding on that play?

I'm sorry the game ended the way it did.

To the folks here with a bloated sense of entitlement: enjoy your loss, you deserve it.

To the rest of you: good game.

McCourty and Olsen collided (within the 5-yard range) and there was some grabbing both ways, as happens on every play - unless the receiver totally jukes the defender. it would have been, at best, an incredibly marginal call.

As Olsen turned to his out, HE locked his arm around McCourty's upper arm, shoulder and HELD McCourty. The video evidence is indisputable.

That was a lousy call on a 3rd and 7 in a big situation.

That's not a "sense of entitlement" talking - and if you're going to start that crap, please just go away - but an observation from simply watching the film.

Refs miss calls, blows calls, whatever, in every game, and usually both fan bases think they got robbed. In this particular instance, this play, the ref blew the call.

That was a helluva football game, and kudos to Carolina for coming out on top. Please don't spoil it.

It also is of note that N.England failed to produce a turnover on defense for the first time in 35, 36, maybe even 37 games, which was the longest streak in the NFL in some time.

That means that CAR also played a mistake free turnover free game. Obviously the odds go way up when that happens. It was a minus -2 game for us, and we all know what the odds are when that happens (although to be fair the 2nd one was the Gronk play at the end).

When Newton is as accurate as he was last night, with no turnovers, he becomes an absolute backbreaker on 3rd down with his ability to outrun front 7 types. I'd say the same goes for Wilson and Kaepernick. When they're being decisive, smart and accurate with the ball - extremely difficult to defend.

Panthers are a good team. I was glad to see Johnson back on the field. Cannon's leg whip was a cheap shot all the way - would've really sucked to see that end up in a torn ACL, nobody deserves that kind of BS.

anyone have video of the DL (vellano maybe?) getting tackled from behind as he closes on Newton right before Newton's 75 yard run to gain 14 and a first down?

cause that non-call pissed me off, too

I think I know what you're talking about, but it was on a different scramble - the one where Jones caught Newton after a short gain.

Vellano rolled inside the guard when the center came over and threw his arm up under Vellanos chin, like a safety dive-tackling a running back skirting up the sideline. Yeah, that was pretty egregious.

So was the missed call on Cannon's leg whip, however. The refs stunk.

0qdk.jpg

Holy crap I didn't see that at all from the stands, that is really really bad. WTF why was that not called? That is freaking BS thanks for raising my blood pressure. :mad:

Holy crap I didn't see that at all from the stands, that is really really bad. WTF why was that not called? That is freaking BS thanks for raising my blood pressure. :mad:

it was called, but then one of the refs said he had a flight to catch so they picked up the flag.

The McCourty play happened right in front of you didn't it? I could see that call was BS from my seat.

As bad as the holding in the end zone was (and it had to be for BB to be that vocal about it) imo ridleys fumble, and the third and one call in the fourth had more to do with the loss. We don't know if Gronk would have caught the pass, but thats not the issue, LK held and pushed him back from the spot where he would have been to catch the ball. I was mildly surprised that on third and one at the three? and with the team running the ball as well as they were the call was to throw the ball. I was Shocked that BB didn't go for it in that situation on fourth down and one. If we didn't make it the panthers would have to start at their two yard line

Here's the thing- Even if you agree that Gronk couldn't get to the ball (which I don't), even if you believe that negates pass interference then there still had to be a penalty for illegal contact! Kuechly without question makes impact on Gronkowski and impedes his progress, the EXACT reason they came up with illegal contact.

Also- it's a game ending penalty and refs spend less than 10 secs discussing the call? They take 30 secs or more all the time to figure out false start v. offside penalties but this game and SEASON altering penalty hardly warrants a thorough on field discussion?

McCourty did hold, ALSO.

Kuechly held, then made illegal contact, and then committed pass interference. Take your pick.

McCourty was owned by Olsen last night and that was a PI on him. For a coverted CB/FS he looked nothing like CB getting beat like a drum for that TD. I thought he would have an advantge on Olsen. Memo to McCourty, Denver's TE Julius Thomas is Ten Times better than Olsen. It could get real ugly fast next week if he plays like he did last night.

Here's the thing- Even if you agree that Gronk couldn't get to the ball (which I don't), even if you believe that negates pass interference then there still had to be a penalty for illegal contact! Kuechly without question makes impact on Gronkowski and impedes his progress, the EXACT reason they came up with illegal contact.

Also- it's a game ending penalty and refs spend less than 10 secs discussing the call? They take 30 secs or more all the time to figure out false start v. offside penalties but this game and SEASON altering penalty hardly warrants a thorough on field discussion?

I was able to watch the game live so maybe it's because I wasn't as emotionally involved, but when I saw the replay my first reactions were
a) it was a very bad pass
b)Gronk was backpeddling and didn't make much of an effort to get to the ball
c) Although he hugged him as the ball arrived, LK didn't make much contact to prevent Gronk from getting to the ball.

I think if the ball was thrown closer to Gronk they would have gotten the call. I personally don't like when refs make calls to determine the outcome of games unless it's blatant.

The refs in general are the worst overall this year that I can recall. Don't throw a flag is there's no penalty. A disgusting way to end a game.

I was able to watch the game live so maybe it's because I wasn't as emotionally involved, but when I saw the replay my first reactions were
a) it was a very bad pass
b)Gronk was backpeddling and didn't make much of an effort to get to the ball
c) Although he hugged him as the ball arrived, LK didn't make much contact to prevent Gronk from getting to the ball.

I think if the ball was thrown closer to Gronk they would have gotten the call. I personally don't like when refs make calls to determine the outcome of games unless it's blatant.

as in another thread, if it wasn't interference, it was either defensive holding or illegal contact......the evidence is irrefutable and the ball does not have to be 'catchable' for those penalties. the decision to keep the results what it was had been made and that's that.

As a die hard, yet objective Pats fan, I can honestly say my reaction to the Olsen-McCourty play both in real time and when viewing the replays was "damn, really bad time for a penalty but i can see why they called it on McCourty." It's not as clear cut and dry as many Pats fans are making it out to be. They were both grabbing each other, and Olsen decided to sell that he was getting mugged just a second before McCourty did.

Watch the replay and you see Olsen throws his hands up slightly before Devin, and that was enough to get the refs on his side. I have no problem with the way that called turned out.

I also think the refs would have kept the final play as a penalty if Gronk had sold it more. If I was Gronk, the second I am being grabbed by Kuechly I would stumble and fall, do whatever I can to bring attention to it. He just didnt do enough to sell it IMO.

The real issue I had with this game was settling for a FG to make it 20-17. It's 3rd and 1 inside the 15 I am pretty sure and the running game had been great to that point, and yet they decide it was better to go for the TD and risk stalling the drive than get a relatively easy conversion for a fresh set of downs. I understand the idea of catching the defense off guard, but the execution was very poor on that play. I knew right when Brady threw it away we were in trouble. Carolina's offense was playing too well to give them a chance for a go ahead TD with only about 6 minutes left in the game.

I also think the refs would have kept the final play as a penalty if Gronk had sold it more. If I was Gronk, the second I am being grabbed by Kuechly I would stumble and fall, do whatever I can to bring attention to it. He just didnt do enough to sell it IMO.

The man was being bear-hugged (there was no way to get his hands up or do much of anything on that play other than crumple to the ground like a pound of wet leather). In front of a ref three feet away. Said ref correctly threw the flag.

The man was being bear-hugged (there was no way to get his hands up or do much of anything on that play other than crumple to the ground like a pound of wet leather). In front of a ref three feet away. Said ref correctly threw the flag.

Exactly! If Gronk takes a dive and brings Kuechly down with him while his arms are wrapped around Gronk, it's not even a debate, no need for the refs to even huddle up. 1st down at the 1 yard line for the Pats and one un-timed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST