PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marvin Harrison released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Harrison Released

It varies from year to year. This happens to be the year Peyton is the highest in the league.

True, although it does not lower the number or make it any easier to work in free agency, you are correct.

I'd be hoping that $21 million to one guy gets you a ring, other than that - it's a waste of a lot of cap.

Again, Peyton is worth a whole lot of money, and if you were passing out Cap dollars based on merit, it would be Tom and Peyton at the top - However a certain level of reason has to enter the negotiations...on both sides - Peyton and the Colts.

Last edited:
Re: Harrison Released

True, although it does not lower the number or make it any easier to work in free agency, you are correct.

I'd be hoping that $21 million to one guy gets you a ring, other than that - it's a waste of a lot of cap.

Again, Peyton is worth a whole lot of money, and if you were passing out Cap dollars based on merit, it would be Tom and Peyton at the top - However a certain level of reason has to enter the negotiations...on both sides - Peyton and the Colts.

I agree its a lot.But, QBs are getting paid a ton all around the league and I consider Peyton at the top along with Brady. Not only now but of all time.

The Colts simply will not pay for aging players on the decline no matter how bad it looks to fans and media. Marvin is gone and we drafted Gonzalez a few years ago to replace Wayne who replaced Marvin. Last year we drafted 3 centers and recently we offered a deal to Jeff Saturday which Polian feels is fair and reasonable for a center who will be 34 next season with new lingering injuries. Whether he accepts it after seeing whats on the market who knows. Jeff has expressed his desire to stay in Indy recently and how much he loves it here. But, he feels he could potentially get more money on another team. If he leaves people will go nuts over this but the beat will go on with a new center next season. Kind of reminds me of Faneca last year.

It is what it is. Peyton is the main player on this team and Polian will surround him with what he feels is the right weapons for the right prices.Not to mention having 3 first rounders in Wayne, Clark and Gonzalez to throw to after losing a future HOFer is not too shabby. I do have concerns with the o line especially if Jeff leaves, but I have faith if they can stay healthy for once a full offseason working with Mudd will help them develop more and gel. We were missing Jeff for 4 or 5 games last season and other players such as Lilja (who will be back I think) and we did have struggles but our pass protection kept Peyton from getting killed. Youth and injury was a big factor in our run game woes.

People always complained we never spent enough on defense but the Freeney, Sanders and Hayden deals say otherwise now. All are young men too. Hayden has yet to become a true fan favorite so many fans feel hurt Polian spent big bucks on a 25 year old corner but is letting Marvin go and lowballed Jeff Saturday. (who may or may not return but the team is prepared either way)

Teams out there (coughJets) are often overpaying for once great veteran players and it bites them in the ass and they dont even make the playoffs.

Its funny the Colts are a crazy young team. Outside a few key positions if Jeff leaves we are young as hell. Manning and Adam would be our only players left well over 30 and both are at positions where it is much easier to age gracefully in this league.

I think both the Colts and Pats run things differently at times but they also remain competitive every season and I stand by the reason why; the QBs. They may or may not win a Super Bowl next year but I can never count out a team led by either Brady or Manning as long as they have both legs and are playing at a high level.

It is heartbreaking to lose players like this (many fans are upset) but you have to try to keep your emotions in check and just support the team.

Last edited:
Personally I look forward to seeing Marvin play somewhere else just to see if he's as good as he is without Peyton. Though at this point he's not going to look as good anyway because of his age.

Personally I look forward to seeing Marvin play somewhere else just to see if he's as good as he is without Peyton. Though at this point he's not going to look as good anyway because of his age.

holley on WEEI and peter king last month even thought he was a borderline HOFamer and not a lock considering his dreadful performances in the playoffs.

holley on WEEI and peter king last month even thought he was a borderline HOFamer and not a lock considering his dreadful performances in the playoffs.

I have to disagree with them on that. Marvin's easily in the HOF if you ask me the stats are too good.

Anyways the Colts did the right thing here though it still must hurt have $6M in dead money.

King smokes crack, among other things, and will probably change his mind half a dozen time between now and when Marv becomes eligible. His logic was that Marvin doesn't have a signature catch. Seriously??? There are 3 that come to mind right away (the laid out fingertip catch at Tennessee, the catch against Denver when nobody touched him down and he got up and ran 30 or 40 more yards for the TD, and the crazy one handed, spin catch at Foxboro), but that's beside the point. How would you say that's a criteria? How many guys outside of Lynn Swann really have a signature catch? Fans of guys might have a couple favorites, but catches that carry league wide are a whole other issue. The post season numbers aren't great by any means, but that doesn't cancel out everything else he did. Everyone knows that post season numbers generally go down (unless your name is Fitzgerald) against the better defenses in the playoffs. Hell most of the time the Colts were playing against the Pats and everyone around here knows how well Belichick can scheme/game plan one part of a team's attack away. More times than not taking Marvin away was key part. He's a Hall of Famer for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes