Manning Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

rochrist

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Something from last night that no one has (I think) said anything about and that I found both interesting and amusing:

The Pats final drive, the Broncos expended all three timeouts in an effort to get the ball back for Manning.

Who then proceeded to hand the ball off to CJ Anderson three times in a row to end the game.

So, the question is: Was this Peyton protecting his stats? If they were just going to run the clock out, why bother calling the timeouts?

When i read the title for this thread it finally struck me, Peyton really needs to change his name to Stats Manning, it is so much more fitting.

Something from last night that no one has (I think) said anything about and that I found both interesting and amusing:

The Pats final drive, the Broncos expended all three timeouts in an effort to get the ball back for Manning.

Who then proceeded to hand the ball off to CJ Anderson three times in a row to end the game.

So, the question is: Was this Peyton protecting his stats? If they were just going to run the clock out, why bother calling the timeouts?

Glad you brought this up. It's not Peyton calling those timeouts or making the decisions to run the ball. This is continued foolishness from John Fox. As a Bronco fan, I have no clue what Fox is doing sometimes, and I'm very envious of Belichick. Belichick consistently has a plan and will ride it as long as it works, or form a new plan if it doesn't. Fox at times seems to field an unprepared team and doesn't show me a creative gameplan too often. If it were up to Peyton, I'm sure he would've thrown, the ball. But watching Fox for a few years, I can assure you it was his call.

I was a little surprised by that myself, but I'd like to think that it was Manning raising the red flag even if his coach didn't.

Glad you brought this up. It's not Peyton calling those timeouts or making the decisions to run the ball. This is continued foolishness from John Fox. As a Bronco fan, I have no clue what Fox is doing sometimes, and I'm very envious of Belichick. Belichick consistently has a plan and will ride it as long as it works, or form a new plan if it doesn't. Fox at times seems to field an unprepared team and doesn't show me a creative gameplan too often. If it were up to Peyton, I'm sure he would've thrown, the ball. But watching Fox for a few years, I can assure you it was his call.
I'm sure it was Fox calling the timeouts, obviously. But it's inexplicable why he would do it and then just run out the clock.
I thought Peyton pretty much called his own plays?

I was wondering the same thing at the time... the "best" explanation I can give is that they were hoping for a big punt return and when they didn't get it figured they'd avoid injuries. If they'd returned it to the Pats red zone, I'm guessing Peyton is chucking it to the end zone.

Love BBs comment.."We aren't playing fantasy football here. We are trying to win games"

Not that I really know but I assumed this was a minor disagreement between Peyton and Fox about the state of the game. Maybe Fox is of the never-say-die mindset while Peyton was more of the yeah-we're-done-here mindset. It really was odd because there was no hope left at the time those timeouts were used.

apparently Manning just wanted to be the one to hold the ball when the game ended

Again, I'm glad someone else wondered what in the world was going on. The Broncos get very little help from their coaching. We don't have any threatening punt returners, so I'm not sure we were hoping for a big return. Peyton doesn't have the arm strength to beat a prevent defense that you guys would be playing. I have no clue why he would even call timeouts, let alone run the ball 3 times. We really have no faith in our defensive coaching staff.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...w-tom-brady-better-than-peyton-manning/31873/

The above is relevant to the thread title, not the topic. It sure is something worth posting any time Peyton Manning and statistics are considered.
I loved this snippet. A sign of things to come?

"
1997 regular season – Manning is dominant in his final season for the Tennessee Volunteers, passing for 36 TD, 11 INT while leading the team to 32.9 PPG in the tough SEC. The best QB in college football finishes No. 2 in the Heisman voting, behind triple-theat performer Charles Woodson.

1997 postseason – Manning produces just a single TD through three quarters and is benched in the fourth quarter as the talent-laden No. 3 Volunteers get smoked by Nebraska, 42-17. Manning completes 21 of 31 for 131 yards, a dismal 4.2 YPA. He is benched in the fourth quarter for Tee Martin, who leads a scoring drive and then leads stacked Tennessee to the national title the following season."

I was wondering the same thing at the time... the "best" explanation I can give is that they were hoping for a big punt return and when they didn't get it figured they'd avoid injuries. If they'd returned it to the Pats red zone, I'm guessing Peyton is chucking it to the end zone.
That's a possibility.

One fun stat from yesterday's broadcast: Manning has coughed up the football in every single game he's played in Foxboro.

manning is a stat padder. worse then drew brees in that category.
game was over in the 4th and he continued to throw. i honestly think manning was trying for 500 yards passing.

My favorite tidbit in the Cold hard Football Stats piece is that Peyton Manning has the lowest quarterback rating in the 2006 Super Bowl of any winning quarterback in the history of the game. Quite a record. I bet his little brother pulls that out from time to time when Peyton gets uppity.

A Caldwell catch away from TB having 4 rings and PM having zero.

Great article. Thanks for sharing. Loved it!!

My favorite excerpt....

The Cold, Hard Reality: Peyton Manning ****s the bed every year in the playoffs

My favorite tidbit in the Cold hard Football Stats piece is that Peyton Manning has the lowest quarterback rating in the 2006 Super Bowl of any winning quarterback in the history of the game. Quite a record. I bet his little brother pulls that out from time to time when Peyton gets uppity.

Add to that, he had an absolute stink-bomb in the divisional round, 170 yards on 30 passes with 2 INT, 0 TD. They only won that SB because the defense was dominant. Besides the AFCCG--where Peyton legitimately played great in that second half--the defense gave up 8 (vs. KC), 6 (vs Baltimore) and 17 points (vs Chicago). In all Manning threw 7 INT to just 3 TD in his one SB winning season. Anyone who says he's had to carry a terrible defense--as I hear all the damn time--has their head so far up their ass. Through the years he's had some stellar defenses and some league-average defenses, no different from Brady. In pretty much every case of the Colts/Broncos losing in the playoffs it came down to Manning's offense not scoring enough points, FACT. Here are their point totals in losing playoff games: 14, 3, 18, 24, 17, 17, 16, 35, 8. And in the one big scoring game (two years ago vs Baltimore) Manning threw two INT's including the backbreaking OT interception that all but sealed the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back