PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Watch [Very Old Thread from 2022]

OK. I agree with your post. Nothing to air out. I was hammered the other night. No deep dark secrets. Love you man.
Ah. That makes sense. Pour one for me. I’m not getting much sleep these days.

You can compare apples to oranges all you want. It was a run first league back then that was supplemented by the pass. The fact that Mac's numbers are slightly worse than a QB from 20 years ago isn't really the "gotcha" you think it is.
Ok, we should cut Mac. Everything is terrible, Bring back Cam!

I still think the laser throws are overrated. Again, Manning has the career single season career yards record throwing the ball as if it was a basketball.

He needs to work on his accuracy at that range and not necessarily the velocity of the football.

Regarding Peyton Manning, I honestly had no idea this was either perception or reality. Is this commonly held? I thought Peyton Manning had a great arm. After the late neck injury it was painful to watch him throw weak, fluttery balls for a few years with the Broncos, but prior to that I thought he threw the ball amazingly well.

I’ve never said they’re too complicated. Read the post again. I said he doesn’t have the athleticism to get separation on those routes whereas his route running ability is more suited to the traditional slot role. But if you think he runs those routes, then great. Tell me specific games in which Meyers has run routes 7-9 and made a play. If you could be even more helpful and give me quarter and time remaining on the clock so I can fast forward to it on the all-22, even better. If not, then the game should be fine.

I could save you the time - he doesn’t run those routes unless it’s a broken coverage and the team is playing sandlot ball. That’s why he’s used in the more traditional slot role - crossers, slants, hitches, etc. But yes, we agree that he’s been the most productive receiver through two games in which the Pats have scored 24 points.

I don't disagree with you (and I'm saying this even though Jakobi's been my binkie since 2019 TC). I'm hoping he's worked on his top speed, but we may not see it anytime soon, as he's been fighting working through a knee injury (which makes me wonder why he's out there as much as he is).

That being said, it's pretty slim pickins given the number of targets, especially with Cam and deep-averse Mac from last year:

5:11
(There was 1 overthrow in this Week 9 game by Cam where I think Jakobi clearly beat his man on a Go - 4th 5:45 left - don't have video anymore and don't remember the details)
16:57 - questionable

1:41
12:57
16:17
23:05 (easily beat Xavien H here)
*23:28 - doesn't really count but this is his longest catch of his career (only 39yds) - wish Mac threw a better ball here

Also looked through Bourne's last year and I only saw 2 (55 vs 126 tgts for JM), but man one can clearly see he has a speed advantage over Jakobi:

6:46
9:11
Not included was the long TD against the Cowboys which imho was against broken coverage.

As for you being butthurt, it’s pretty obvious you are. Between that embarrassing tirade the other night and this, something has your ass chafed. You can either act like a little girl and be passive-aggressive about it, or you could air it out. Your choice.
Aint that him in the avatar.

The old timers used corn starch for a chapped butt. Might just work.

Back to Mack.

Jury is still out on him. Its too soon to crown him just yet. Maybe the big jump is coming, but that must include consistency too. A bad game here or there is to be expected because all QBs have those days. We must see Mack making those around him better players because the Patriots are not going to go on a shopping spree and sign stud Free Agents at WR.

Looking for an unquestionable command of the Pats passing game with zero doubts whatsoever.

Regarding Peyton Manning, I honestly had no idea this was either perception or reality. Is this commonly held? I thought Peyton Manning had a great arm. After the late neck injury it was painful to watch him throw weak, fluttery balls for a few years with the Broncos, but prior to that I thought he threw the ball amazingly well.
He aways threw the ball amazingly well. So did Brees. Neither of them threw lasers. Manning had perfect touch and accuracy on his throws.

Expecting Mac Jones to become either of them is a stretch.

But we've yet to see a finished product here.

There's a reason the Chargers traded Brees in favor of Philip Rivers. It probably had to do with them doubting Brees' arm. I think that whole thing turned out better for the Saints than it did the Chargers.

Back to Mack.

Jury is still out on him. Its too soon to crown him just yet. Maybe the big jump is coming, but that must include consistency too. A bad game here or there is to be expected because all QBs have those days. We must see Mack making those around him better players because the Patriots are not going to go on a shopping spree and sign stud Free Agents at WR.

Looking for an unquestionable command of the Pats passing game with zero doubts whatsoever.
His big issue is panicking and losing awareness around him. It will lead to errors or injuries. I can't believe he did not feel the big Steelers defender bearing down on him in last game.
I don't know if that is part of what you mean by command of the passing game or it is a separate issue. Brady had a sixth sense when danger was coming behind him.

Steelers players desperately wish the GOAT was their quarterback.

Thank you for this, it is uplifting to read. I have been down on Mac for a while and things like this helps actually helps because this play gives me pause on his prospects. It is not just one play for me but going back to the windy game in Buffalo, I have been seeing inefficiencies similar to this.

Last edited:
Thank you for this, it is uplifting to read. I have been down on Mac for a while and things like this helps actually helps because this play gives me pause on his prospects. It is not just one play for me but going back to the windy game in Buffalo, I have been seeing inefficiencies similar to this.

I'd bet money that if that was Bourne, Mac would have hit him. He doesn't even look in Humphrey's direction which continues to raise the question, "Why tf is he in the game?".

I think Mac's problem right now is he isn't Tom Brady. It's like he's expected to already be at that bar of excellence especially with the media. That's never happening. He shouldn't be expected to be Tom Brady. He shouldn't be compared to the uncomparable. There's only one Brady and there will ever only be one. So when Mac experiences the growing pains and the downs with the ups of being a developing QB that doesn't mean the team has lost confidence and he needs to be sent packing. It will be exactly the same thing for the next guy.

I'm confident Mac can block out all this noise.

Last edited:

I think Mac's problem right now is he isn't Tom Brady. It's like he's expected to already be at that bar of excellence especially with the media. That's never happening. He shouldn't be expected to be Tom Brady. He shouldn't be compared to the uncomparable. There's only one Brady and there will ever only be one. So when Mac experiences the growing pains and the downs with the ups of being a developing QB that doesn't mean the team has lost confidence and he needs to be sent packing. It will be exactly the same thing for the next guy.

I'm confident Mac can block out all this noise.

Agree completely. Mac has all the right intangibles to be a great QB and a great leader in the NFL, but whether or not he has the talent remains to be seen. I’m a fan, I’m rooting for him, but I think he’s got 2 seasons to go to demonstrate he can consistently be a top tier QB, basically top 10, in the NFL. And even though I think Belichick really likes him, I won’t be surprised to see Belichick take a QB high in the next 2 draft’s. Belichick used 2nd and 3rd round picks on QB’s when Brady was here, and he’s going to push any starter no matter who they are.

This is a really interesting team, I have no idea how good they are going to be, but that uncertainty is making it a fun season to follow.

Mac's problem right now, partly (mostly?) because of the inferior personnel, coaching & play-calling he's being given, is that he's playing like a bottom-half NFL QB... Got nuttin' to do with TB...

Mac is a year 2 QB, you definitely can't compare him to GOAT Brady. Developing Brady was successful because he had a great team around him and performed best when the game was on the line. We just don't know what we have with Mac or this team, including the offensive strategy. Worst case Mac will become Chad Pennington who was a smart game manager that could be part of a winning team. Best case he evolves to be a close approximation of Brees or Manning who used savvy vs elite athletic talent to succeed. This is why we watch the games.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back