PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Watch [Very Old Thread from 2022]

Mac made several poor throws in the first half - he missed Parker on a post, he missed an out where he threw it inside and almost got picked, and later he threw it right to a DB who dropped it. He and the offense were better in the 2nd half except for the poor series starting at midfield. The TD to Agholor was nice. His scramble looked good. He barely missed Johnnu on a big play. He just seemed more in rhythm, and the running game was getting stronger as the game went on.

I wonder how much the bad back and illness (missing a practice) affected his play today.

He did miss the day they usually install the offense. That could have been a big factor today.

Mac made several poor throws in the first half - he missed Parker on a post, he missed an out where he threw it inside and almost got picked, and later he threw it right to a DB who dropped it. He and the offense were better in the 2nd half except for the poor series starting at midfield. The TD to Agholor was nice. His scramble looked good. He barely missed Johnnu on a big play. He just seemed more in rhythm, and the running game was getting stronger as the game went on.
Hopefully they finally figured some things out on the ground. That last drive is something to build on. Our run game is supposed to be a strength of ours.

And why does everyone jump straight to Bourne if anyone has earned some of Parker's reps it's been Agholar. (With Meyers more than earning his own reps)
Some of the Meyers criticism is baffling. Then again, there were some folks over the preseason who made the asinine claim that he would be their 4th most productive receiver. Apparently some folks watch the games through a different lens than everyone else.

Mac's stats so far:

42-65 (64.6%), 465 yds, 7.2 y/a, 2 td, 2 int, 83.2 rating

Not the best start in the world. Not the worst start.

Russell Wilson so far:

43-73 (58.9%), 559 yds, 7.7 y/a, 2 td, 1 int, 86.5 rating

I mean....Mac compares roughly to one of the highest paid QB in the NFL so far.

Has Mac ever been able to throw while moving laterally? ( last year?)- I don't recall..

Decision making HAS to improve. He's not an Uber athlete and he doesn't have a cannon of an arm to overcome bad decisions.

Other than that I'd say he has a great connection with Meyers and a developing connection with Agholor. Excited to see where this goes.

It's important to keep expectations at a reasonable level. He does not have elite physical skills and he does not have the experience or cognitive skill of Brady. He will continue to improve. He has potential to be a very good QB, probably with the ceiling of Kirk Cousins.

What I don't I get is why Meyers seemingly gets put in everyone's doghouse? From my view he still seems to be getting better and better.
Meyers caught a million balls from Cam Newton. That feat in and of itself qualified him for the Hall of Fame. That's hyperbole, yes, but still. How you could catch 60 balls for 700 yards from broken-down Newton?

Mac's stats so far:

42-65 (64.6%), 465 yds, 7.2 y/a, 2 td, 2 int, 83.2 rating

Not the best start in the world. Not the worst start.

Russell Wilson so far:

43-73 (58.9%), 559 yds, 7.7 y/a, 2 td, 1 int, 86.5 rating

I mean....Mac compares roughly to one of the highest paid QB in the NFL so far.
I think the refs are not calling OL holding league-wide because there's an absolute power outage on offense right now (except they'll call it on the Patriots of course). Scores are down everywhere.

This is happening because of the lack of hitting, lack of intense training camp, lack of pads, lack of hitting.

People made fun of Belichick's "preseason" comment, but I think Belichick is right on the ball.

It's important to keep expectations at a reasonable level. He does not have elite physical skills and he does not have the experience or cognitive skill of Brady. He will continue to improve. He has potential to be a very good QB, probably with the ceiling of Kirk Cousins.
Scar nailed it when he said Mac can be a very good NFL QB when he has all the weapons at his disposal. Just like Cousins who now has a stacked offense... It's not going to wow you but he won't lose you the game and will keep the train moving forward.

How do you know what cognitive skill Mac has?

What I'm concerned most about is that I don't know if this offense actually plays to his strengths. There is very little play change at the line. CBS did a horrible job staying in on the play, more than once you saw just the tail end of it.

What I didn't see was Mac commanding the offense, he didn't look at the defense and decide if the play he was in was the right one or not. They just ran what they ran despite the D. Did anyone else notice this? It seems like the thing he did really well as a rookie got taken away. Maybe they felt it became too much for him at the end of the season and he got confused by the opposing D and called the wrong audible. So they are stepping him back.

But overall I felt Mac had a mediocre game. It was a step in the right direction. He made less mistakes, had better protection, and made some throws that counted. I think we'll have a much better grasp by game 6 on what we have
He changed things up enough that a Steeler felt the need to say something about it.

I think the refs are not calling OL holding league-wide because there's an absolute power outage on offense right now (except they'll call it on the Patriots of course). Scores are down everywhere.

This is happening because of the lack of hitting, lack of intense training camp, lack of pads, lack of hitting.

People made fun of Belichick's "preseason" comment, but I think Belichick is right on the ball.
Might have just been me, but it looked like the Steelers RT was getting away with false starts on atleast 4 or 5 occasions. Got a kick out of it when Wynn was one ultimately called for a false start, though his was even more obvious.

I think overlooked in the first 2 weeks is the "former Pats assistants" thing.

Miami's DC is Josh Boyer and Flores is basically the assistant DC in Pitt. Those are 2 guys that were a big reason in the Pats defense having some good years in route to SBs. I think that did play a factor 2 guys that were in the building with Belichick for nearly 2 decades. We've all seen Pats teams struggle and loss to former Pats assistants so there is definitely something there. So now that we got those out of the way until McDaniels in December I think we could get a better indication.

And why does everyone jump straight to Bourne if anyone has earned some of Parker's reps it's been Agholar. (With Meyers more than earning his own reps)
disagree.

Bourne has four targets in 2022, three catches for a 75% catch rate, with 57 yards, and a 19 ypc average.

Agholor has been targeted eleven times, nine catches for an 81% catch rate, with 138 yards and a 12.5 ypc average.

Not a significant difference in catch rate, especially with Bourne having so few targets, and Bourne has gained significantly more yards per catch.

I‘m not saying Agholor should have his targets reduced, just saying that Bourne should be getting targeted as often as Agholor, and the way Parker has played thus far giving his targets to Bourne would be better for the team.

How do you know what cognitive skill Mac has?
Once Mac starts hooking up with the Tara Reid equivalent of the current age, and then becoming a baby daddy for a random JAG actress, then we know he's on the right track, cognitively.

I can't recall Mac fixing on his first read so much last year.

As I remember the game yesterday, even If i do find his overall... unpolishednes... surprising, that is what I find most concerning.

His best trait was quick, good decision-making.

Maybe thats a step towards a improvement, as in he feels more comfortable going for that deep ball (and we see that), he is "comfortable" waiting for his guy to win his route and catch it.

I HOPE this is a phase. I've said in the in-game thread, but it bares repeating: With so much hate on Patricia, might be time to spill it over a bit to Joe Judge, if he does not improve. And soon, bc this locking-on stuff is gross

I am probably the most surprisingly atheist on this board.
In the degrees of atheism question who had "surprisingly" for Patjew? Anyone?

BTW how many degrees of atheism are there? Is it like degrees of pregnancy? I just want to better understand the question.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back