PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Watch [Very Old Thread from 2022]

The ball is sailing on him.

Use the tight ends.

Bourne should never come off of the field.
Bourne should be on the field more than Meyers, and I’m saying that even with the game Meyers had today. Meyers is steady, but far more limited than Bourne is. He’s quick in and out of cuts, but he’s no threat to break one after the catch. Bourne is, but for some reason, he’s either in Bill’s Doghouse or Fat Matt’s Outhouse.

The ball is sailing on him.

Use the tight ends.

Bourne should never come off of the field.
I made a comment in the game thread, it’s just unbelievable with this level of investment that our tight ends wouldn’t have a catch today. Henry for sure, and let’s hope the doubling down on Smith means they’ve seen something from him to warrant the investment

It's concerning to me how he looks but then I have to remind my self to stop and look at who has had to throw the ball to.

Who Mac has had to throw the ball to does not effect how he sets his feet or his throwing mechanics. Both are messed up right now.

Not worried about his velocity.

His mechanics are all screwed up and he's not decisive. He's late on throws.

Velocity is all about mechanics and decisiveness. He needs to have command of the offense and confidence.
Agreed
Right now, he doesn't have either, which is why you're seeing the kind of ball he's throwing.

This is his 20th game. He'll improve. He's young.
Agreed.
I would say today was not a good game for him.

Last year he was more comfortable in the offense, and better.

Today Mac looked much more comfortable stepping up and moving around in the pocket. Maybe it was not a good game for Mac, but it was better than last week so there is something to build on. Mac's mechanics and feet are messed up, I agree, but once he becomes comfortable in the pocket his footwork and mechanics will slowly return. I think it will be a gradual improvement week to week. Today I saw improvement in pocket presence, so even though it was not a good game for Mac, I was encouraged. Mac has command of the playbook, he is moving the offense around, and seemed to be aware of the defensive movements today. I think it is all about his movement in the pocket, and then his mechanics retuning.

One of the halftime commentators, I think it was Boomer, said that no-one goes through his reads faster than Mac. :)

Bourne should be on the field more than Meyers, and I’m saying that even with the game Meyers had today. Meyers is steady, but far more limited than Bourne is. He’s quick in and out of cuts, but he’s no threat to break one after the catch. Bourne is, but for some reason, he’s either in Bill’s Doghouse or Fat Matt’s Outhouse.

Or Bourne is not the brightest bulb and has a limited route tree. ;)

Or Bourne is not the brightest bulb and has a limited route tree. ;)
He has a better route tree than Meyers. Not sure about how bright he is. At the very least, he should be on the field over Parker. Parker has been god awful so far. He looks like he’s lost.

Tomlin did not pressure Jones and did not take away Meyers.

I expect that to change moving forward.
I thought they blitzed Mac quite a bit, the O-line just did a great job picking it up.

I do agree though, I see teams focusing on Meyers as Mac seems to want to target him the most. In addition, I still don't think targeting Meyers so much will work against a team that can put up points quickly as it took the Pats a long time to move downfield today. We need more big plays that Agholor had today.

What I don't I get is why Meyers seemingly gets put in everyone's doghouse? From my view he still seems to be getting better and better.

He has a better route tree than Meyers. Not sure about how bright he is. At the very least, he should be on the field over Parker. Parker has been god awful so far. He looks like he’s lost.

Parker looks lost? I agree. Bourne with a route tree greater than Myers? Can't agree with that. More athletic and dynamic than Myers? I agree. No idea why you think Bourne's route tree is better than Myers. Myers runs and adjusts amazingly. I am not anti-Bourne, and Parker can sit a lot more. I think it is one of BB's things where Parker is bigger and a much better blocker, so he gets snaps.

2 games into sophomore season. How's he looking?

Unfortunately I see little, if any, difference in his weaknesses from his rookie season so far:
- Little zip on intermediate throws
- Does not feel or anticipate pressure well
- Quick internal clock doesn't allow him to go through progressions at times
- If he struggles to get velocity with his feet set, he has almost zero throwing ability on the run

Pros:
- Smart? Has learned the offense well I think?
- Motivated, good attitude
- ?

Middle of the road:
- Accuracy. Short throws mostly on point. Intermediate/deep a mixed bag.

Overall, I think he's got the brains and mindset, but would love to see him start to recognize pressure and consistently go through progressions and make good decisions.

Two games into a NEW season, a NEW offense, with NEW coaching that may or may not have a good grip on things. Way, WAY too early to start assessing anyone, most of all the quarterback.

What I don't I get is why Meyers seemingly gets put in everyone's doghouse? From my view he still seems to be getting better and better.
I can only speak for myself. I love Meyers but I think his upside is lower than other WRs and TEs that Mac is mostly ignoring.

Maybe, but why was he so good last year? He’s their best WR by far IMO. Parker could be their second. Meyers is playing as well as he can.

He was new and came in with a great attitude. Why did SF let him go for relatively short money? I think there is a need to him to concentrate and stay on point. It happens.

i think Parker will get it. Don’t ask me why.

Maybe. You might be a praying man? That might be why because it looks like prayers are in order for Parker.

He was new and came in with a great attitude. Why did SF let him go for relatively short money? I think there is a need to him to concentrate and stay on point. It happens.

Maybe. You might be a praying man? That might be why because it looks like prayers are in order for Parker.
I am probably the most surprisingly atheist on this board.

I hope my gut feel is right.

What I'm concerned most about is that I don't know if this offense actually plays to his strengths. There is very little play change at the line. CBS did a horrible job staying in on the play, more than once you saw just the tail end of it.

What I didn't see was Mac commanding the offense, he didn't look at the defense and decide if the play he was in was the right one or not. They just ran what they ran despite the D. Did anyone else notice this? It seems like the thing he did really well as a rookie got taken away. Maybe they felt it became too much for him at the end of the season and he got confused by the opposing D and called the wrong audible. So they are stepping him back.

But overall I felt Mac had a mediocre game. It was a step in the right direction. He made less mistakes, had better protection, and made some throws that counted. I think we'll have a much better grasp by game 6 on what we have

He's fine. Whole offense is a work in progress. Glad we got the W more than anything

I can only speak for myself. I love Meyers but I think his upside is lower than other WRs and TEs that Mac is mostly ignoring.
But why do we limit his upside last year was better than year before and I think he looks to have improved again this year at least so far?

But why do we limit his upside last year was better than year before and I think he looks to have improved again this year at least so far?
That’s a good question. Maybe because he looks more “crafty” than “athletic?” I think he’s great and if he becomes a true 1, that’s awesome.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back