PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones is now a Pro Bowler

The fact that it's being posted by the Pats leads me to think he's gonna go. I also see some headlines titled "Mac Jones accepts invitation", so there's that too.

The two guys ahead of him, I believe, are Herbert and Mahomes, so if Mahomes pulls out due to a sore ego, Mac may see some decent snaps.

Hopefully he lights it up with some stud receivers, and it convinces the Pats to FINALLY get a #1 receiver with explosiveness. Give me one of Olave, Burks or Garrett in round 1, and Metchie in round 2. And then Slade Bolden (or Britain Covey or Kyle Phillips) in round 5.
Preach Brother preach that's what I was thinking. :)

Not good news.

Under the new CBA, I believe, 2 pro-bowls in the first four years makes the 5th year option THE FRANCHISE TAG.

That's what's happening with Kyler Murray in AZ now.

Mac Jones wasn't a pro-bowl QB this year...

That's weird. He's in because Allen and Carr declined I assume? If one more QB pulls out (Mahomes, Herbert or Jackson), then I'm pretty sure Carson Wentz would be next up. That's how dumb and meaningless the Pro Bowl is. Jakobi Meyers might be next up after that.
Meyers as QB is lights out. Deserves the nod.

Not good news.

Under the new CBA, I believe, 2 pro-bowls in the first four years makes the 5th year option THE FRANCHISE TAG.

If he's worth keeping at all after year 4, he should be worth the franchise tag. Keep in mind that in this scenario, he does play well enough to at least get another Pro Bowl selection.

Not good news.

WOW! Well aren’t you a ****ing killjoy Mr. Smartypants?!?!

I don't really like this. It feels good for the casual fan, but there's a reason Brady never went back to play in a PB game after his 1st one or two... too risky. And Mac should be working on his strength and recovery.
The only potential positive is that he can glean some veteran leadership practices and tips. But, if he gets hurt, BB will sign Jimmy G back here and his opportunity is gone.

If he's worth keeping at all after year 4, he should be worth the franchise tag. Keep in mind that in this scenario, he does play well enough to at least get another Pro Bowl selection.
If he is playing at a Pro Bowl level for three years, the Pats will tear up his rookie deal and sign him to a long-term contract.

Hopefully he lights it up with some stud receivers, and it convinces the Pats to FINALLY get a #1 receiver with explosiveness. Give me one of Olave, Burks or Garrett in round 1, and Metchie in round 2. And then Slade Bolden (or Britain Covey or Kyle Phillips) in round 5.

We don't have a 5th round pick.

If he is playing at a Pro Bowl level for three years, the Pats will tear up his rookie deal and sign him to a long-term contract.

That would never happen since his.low cost rookie deal lasts 4 years.

That would never happen since his.low cost rookie deal lasts 4 years.
If someone on a rookie deal, at an important position, is playing at a high level and you try to low ball him by not redoing his contract before the five years are up, you run the risk of him leaving. You can always tag him after four or five (depending on the round he was drafted), like the Redskins did for several years with Cousins, but that just leads to more acrimony. If Mac is "the guy," you pay him before the five-year rookie contract is up. Brady's rookie deal was torn up in August of 2002. He went from a four-year $2.52 million dollar contract to a five-year $30.52 million dollar contract.

Last edited:
The fact that Burrow won’t be a pro bowler after this year is mind boggling.
It's stupid that players in the Super Bowl don't get an exemption. You either have to be on the original roster, or attend.

If someone on a rookie deal, at an important position, is playing at a high level and you try to low ball him by not redoing his contract before the five years are up, you run the risk of him leaving. You can always tag him after four or five (depending on the round he was drafted), like the Redskins did for several years with Cousins, but that just leads to more acrimony. If Mac is "the guy," you pay him before the five-year rookie contract is up. Brady's rookie deal was torn up in August of 2002. He went from a four-year $2.52 million dollar contract to a five-year $30.52 million dollar contract.
Just remember a drafted rookie can't renegotiate until after his third season, and the Pats have already guaranteed his entire contract.

Good for Mac Jones. The year ended on a down note, but at least he gets to schmooze with high level players and maybe he'll learn a thing or two.

I am not a NFL contract guy. Mahomes contract was signed after his third rookie year and bumped his salary $10M in his 4th year, and up to $22M in his 5th year (the QB franchise tag was $24M). His 1st contract did increase above his rookie deal, but not a lot. The salary cap hits were pushed out so his cap hit in 2021 was $7M. So his contract was renegotiated, but the real money started in his 5th year but his actual salary (not cap dollars) was still less than the franchise tag.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back