PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Love the Twig

Only caveat I'll say to this is he's the best WR we ever drafted AS a WR. Edelman is far and away the best player we ever drafted who wound up playing WR (primarily) for the Patriots.
1000 percent I was going to add that disclaimer lol.

Notha NEP Lombardi had BB not let him escape 1st contract.
I concur. I’d go on to add McGinnist in that realm. No way he lets the defense sag and gas at the end of that championship game. Lost him over 3 yrs 12 million to Cleveland. Probably would of won in 07 imo too.

One of the all time Patriot locker room presences and still one of greatest spokespersons of the team from that first dynasty.

Only caveat I'll say to this is he's the best WR we ever drafted AS a WR. Edelman is far and away the best player we ever drafted who wound up playing WR (primarily) for the Patriots.
Under BB, okay. But all time? Gotta factor in the Stanley Steamer. And Troy!

Troy is a great Patriot but Wasn’t a better player than Branch, I loved Troy Brown as a player.
His punt returns and his catch and run in Miami will always be some of my favorite Patriot plays.

Troy is a great Patriot but Wasn’t a better player than Branch, I loved Troy Brown as a player.
His punt returns and his catch and run in Miami will always be some of my favorite Patriot plays.
Deion was a better receiver.

Troy was a more well-rounded player.

If you mean best WR who played there in college, sure.

But when the Pats drafted Edelman they listed him as a WR from Kent State.

Yeah, in my head the statement was kind of implied as "under BB", but looking back I realize there's nothing in the thread that really made that distinction, so good catch. I'm probably just so used to the recent discussions of Belichick's WR draft record that I automatically merged it with those.

If you mean best WR who played there in college, sure.

But when the Pats drafted Edelman they listed him as a WR from Kent State.

I knew that there were rumblings about Edelman moving to WR, but I didn't recall it being his announced position. I remember a quote from BB from somewhere that said something like, "We don't know where you're going to play, but we're going to use you." or along those lines. Either way, it was pretty obvious early on that Julian was going to play WR if he was going to stick, so your point stands regardless.

Yeah, in my head the statement was kind of implied as "under BB", but looking back I realize there's nothing in the thread that really made that distinction, so good catch. I'm probably just so used to the recent discussions of Belichick's WR draft record that I automatically merged it with those.

I knew that there were rumblings about Edelman moving to WR, but I didn't recall it being his announced position. I remember a quote from BB from somewhere that said something like, "We don't know where you're going to play, but we're going to use you." or along those lines. Either way, it was pretty obvious early on that Julian was going to play WR if he was going to stick, so your point stands regardless.
Edelman wasn’t. A bad d back.
I’ll never forget Edelmans coming out game against the Ravens only person who they could not stop on offense.
I remember thinking why wasn’t he played at WR before. I will miss Edelman for sure.

I concur. I’d go on to add McGinnist in that realm. No way he lets the defense sag and gas at the end of that championship game. Lost him over 3 yrs 12 million to Cleveland. Probably would of won in 07 imo too.

One of the all time Patriot locker room presences and still one of greatest spokespersons of the team from that first dynasty.
I dunno about that. I don't know if it's on the you tube upload, but at the end of the SB36 broadcast, you can see Richard Seymour talking Willie off the ledge regarding the holding call on Marshall Faulk. Willie was pretty upset after that penalty, and the next drive, he made two key plays to make sure the Rams didn't score. You can read Richard's lips saying "but you didn't" or something like that. Consoling Willie, telling him he didn't cost them the game. My point in all this is that even though Richard was a rookie, he was very instrumental in that first run. I agree with you that it was Willie's team on D, but Richard was right there. By '07, it was Richard's team. Willie was not the presence in 2007 that he was in 03-04. I am not convinced he would have made a difference in 2007.

Great player and an all-timer, but by 2007, he was done.

Deion vs Edelman vs Troy. Oh man thats a tough one ! All were very productive AND clutch.

Branch absolutely killed both sbs in his first stint here. And the 2004 afcc in Pittsburgh.

By '07, it was Richard's team. Willie was not the presence in 2007 that he was in 03-04. I am not convinced he would have made a difference in 2007.

Great player and an all-timer, but by 2007, he was done.
Willie Mac's contract was done at the end of '06, and they let him walk... it was pretty clear the Patriots didnt want Willie back...

he talks about the parting in A Football Life... great episode if you havent seen it

--------------------

as for the OP, gotta like how Branch settled this Cassius "Soft" Marsh hullabaloo in an instant... "New England isn't for everybody"... And the guys who got it, got it. That work ethic is partly responsible for taking teams with average talent and turning that average talent into Super Bowl teams

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back