PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Losing our 3rd rounder...

It's the other way around.

We need another team to hire Jerod Mayo as DC, Ivan Fears as OC, Troy Brown as OC, or DeMarcus Covington as DC. That's eight potential third round picks waiting in the wings.
Wasn’t the original idea to incentivize teams for promoting minorities (Ex. Position coach becoming OC/DC), rather than simply rewarding teams who just let them walk for better opportunities elsewhere? Or is the idea team A gave them that opportunity and set them up to eventually get a better position with team B. Thus, team A gets rewarded..

It's the other way around.

We need another team to hire Jerod Mayo as DC, Ivan Fears as OC, Troy Brown as OC, or DeMarcus Covington as DC. That's eight potential third round picks waiting in the wings.
Brian Flores?

I have a theory about the league handicapping the Patriots that I'll preface by saying is the same sort of baseless, tinfoil hat nonsense that we make fun of other fanbases for coming up with. On the other hand, it's been rattling around in my head for a while, so this is as good a time as any to throw it out there: In addition to over-punishing New England for minor or non-existent infractions, what if there is also an unspoken agreement among other teams to be very stingy when making trades with the Patriots? In other words, you don't want to be the team that hands Belichick a Herschel Walker-type trade.

Chandler Jones has been brought up in this thread. The Patriots received a second round pick and a highly drafted guard who was a bust with Arizona and every other team he played with in exchange for Jones. Khalil Mack brought back 1st and 6th round picks in 2019 and 1st and 3rd picks in 2020. Jamal Adams and a 4th round pick were traded for a starting safety, 1st and 3rd picks in 2021 and a 1st round pick in 2022. Jimmy Garoppolo was traded for a second round pick. You can go back 15 years: Matt Schaub had 2 starts as a back up for the Falcons, but he was traded to Houston in 2007 for 2 second round picks and a swap of 1st round draft spots. In 2008, Matt Cassel, who started 15 games that season, was traded for a second round pick and the Patriots had to throw in Mike Vrabel, as well.

It just seems like when there's a talented, non-Patriots player on the trade market, the reaction from interested teams is "How many first rounders do you want? 2? How about 3? Whatever you want." When the Patriots are trying to make a trade, the reaction is "Gee, I don't know. Maybe I could give you a second round pick, but I'm not sure. I really need to talk to my manager. You know how it is." The Patriots have traded away some very good players over the past 20 years, but they never seem to get that big haul of draft picks in return that other teams get.
I think a lot of this is that as fans we tend to overrate what we think about the talent we are sending as opposed to the situation. Unlike Schaub, Jimmy G got injured in his 2 starts and he got traded mid year because we punted on deciding between him and Brady. So the team that got him had half a year to make a decision on if they wanted to give him a contact. Schaub got traded at the start of his 4th year. People acted like we were going to get the 1st or 4th from the Browns when they ended up drafting Mayfield and had 3 cheap years to evaluate him.

Likewise Cassel got traded going into his 5th year, yeah we added Vrabel who was on his last two seasons anyways after being in the league a decade, but we got the 34th overall. That’s not a massive difference in value from a late 1st round pick.

Likewise with Chandler Jones we were basically trading him for his last year on contract. That makes a big difference. The next year the Cardinals needed to decide on paying him. He also had the hospitalization for a bad synthetic marijuana reaction in the playoffs before he was traded.

Wasn’t the original idea to incentivize teams for promoting minorities (Ex. Position coach becoming OC/DC), rather than simply rewarding teams who just let them walk for better opportunities elsewhere? Or is the idea team A gave them that opportunity and set them up to eventually get a better position with team B. Thus, team A gets rewarded..
It was to do both. Promote hiring and developing them.

Remember when Krafty Bob "saved" the NFL thanks to his part in brokering a recent (perhaps the most recent, don't remember) union contract? He got hugs from Jeff Saturday on national tv, the media lauded Krafty as the epitome of an NFL owner, a guy who can do it all....Krafty soaked it all in. And look now Bob, what did all that adulation get you? you couldn't leave well enough alone, had to chase every last $ w your stupid Patriots.com content that no one watches....and look, the people who you thought were your friends stabbed you in the back and took an important draft pick away from you...nice job Krafty

I thought of that as well.

Unfortunately the rule went into effect about three months after he was hired by Miami.
was wondering that there was no subparagraph excluding the Patriots from getting picks in return, that would be more like Goodells NFL (rules)

I have a theory about the league handicapping the Patriots that I'll preface by saying is the same sort of baseless, tinfoil hat nonsense that we make fun of other fanbases for coming up with. On the other hand, it's been rattling around in my head for a while, so this is as good a time as any to throw it out there: In addition to over-punishing New England for minor or non-existent infractions, what if there is also an unspoken agreement among other teams to be very stingy when making trades with the Patriots? In other words, you don't want to be the team that hands Belichick a Herschel Walker-type trade.

Chandler Jones has been brought up in this thread. The Patriots received a second round pick and a highly drafted guard who was a bust with Arizona and every other team he played with in exchange for Jones. Khalil Mack brought back 1st and 6th round picks in 2019 and 1st and 3rd picks in 2020. Jamal Adams and a 4th round pick were traded for a starting safety, 1st and 3rd picks in 2021 and a 1st round pick in 2022. Jimmy Garoppolo was traded for a second round pick. You can go back 15 years: Matt Schaub had 2 starts as a back up for the Falcons, but he was traded to Houston in 2007 for 2 second round picks and a swap of 1st round draft spots. In 2008, Matt Cassel, who started 15 games that season, was traded for a second round pick and the Patriots had to throw in Mike Vrabel, as well.

It just seems like when there's a talented, non-Patriots player on the trade market, the reaction from interested teams is "How many first rounders do you want? 2? How about 3? Whatever you want." When the Patriots are trying to make a trade, the reaction is "Gee, I don't know. Maybe I could give you a second round pick, but I'm not sure. I really need to talk to my manager. You know how it is." The Patriots have traded away some very good players over the past 20 years, but they never seem to get that big haul of draft picks in return that other teams get.
I believe that it's really more the case of Bill simply being a soft touch, especially for his buddies, and the rest of the league is catching-up to the fact that if you engage Bill in a staring contest over somebody he has to move, or has to have, he'll blink first...

another farcical punishment for a non-football operation misstep...
It would help if our owner had a spine.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back