PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

London Superbowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaders always push things too far and this would be the end game for Jolly Roger. The British are our friends, hell, I was born there - but the Super Bowl is an American game and this is where is should be played. Clearly.

However money talks. I doubt the fans would allow it to happen a second time though.

Fans don't have any say.

I doubt the owners would agree to this.

I can't see it happening for a couple of reasons. First, many owners push local governments in to building a new stadium for their team; one of the implied promises/paybacks is hosting a Super Bowl. The NFL then touts how many millions of dollars are pumped into the local economy to that host city. If the NFL takes that carrot away, cities are going to be less likely to help out with tax dollars in the building of new stadiums.

Second, host cities depend on people visiting and spending a lot of time and money there. Moving it further away will increase the cost of air travel, which will result in visiting fans having less money to spend. There would be fewer American fans and corporations willing to pay the additional cost, and there may not be enough British fans to make up the difference.

To me this is most likely another NFL negotiation ploy for leverage. The US cities will now feel compelled to come up with an even sweeter plan in order to compete and host a Super Bowl. Meanwhile London gets distracted from any 'is this worth all the time, money and effort' thoughts by being convinced if they keep doing a good enough job with their current one game per year, they'll hit a bigger payday by being host to the Super Bowl sometime soon.

Someone, anyone -- please catch Roger Goodell doing something scandalous or illegal. In lieu of that, kill the damn bastard.

Another thing I just thought of: the NFL likes to play the Super Bowl at 6:30 pm (EST) so it is on primetime TV on the east coast. If they were to play in London, wouldn't that mean that kickoff would be at 11:30 pm over there?

Another thing I just thought of: the NFL likes to play the Super Bowl at 6:30 pm (EST) so it is on primetime TV on the east coast. If they were to play in London, wouldn't that mean that kickoff would be at 11:30 pm over there?

A very good point, it's not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes