PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi and the Chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

letekro

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Note his comment about having to play inside and with power. I take that to mean that because of the threat of the run, you can’t kick guys like Flowers inside to rush, you can’t play Wise because he isn’t stout enough and you have to use a third safety rather than a fourth corner in dime. A reminder how we got shredded by Jax until they got conservative and the Chiefs have put 40+ on us 2 of the last 3 times we’ve played them. Problems against this type of offense go well beyond Malcolm Butler.

"I'm gonna pick Philadelphia in the Super Bowl come hell or high water. ... I think it's a horrendous matchup for New England, I do. What Jacksonville did in the first half (of the AFC Championship Game), running Kansas City's style of offense, spread the field, force you to play inside and with power, that's been the kryptonite for New England, and that's what Philly does all the time."

Former Pederson hater calls Super Bowl 'horrendous matchup' for Pats

Note his comment about having to play inside and with power. I take that to mean that because of the threat of the run, you can’t kick guys like Flowers inside to rush, you can’t play Wise because he isn’t stout enough and you have to use a third safety rather than a fourth corner in dime. A reminder how we got shredded by Jax until they got conservative and the Chiefs have put 40+ on us 2 of the last 3 times we’ve played them. Problems against this type of offense go well beyond Malcolm Butler.

"I'm gonna pick Philadelphia in the Super Bowl come hell or high water. ... I think it's a horrendous matchup for New England, I do. What Jacksonville did in the first half (of the AFC Championship Game), running Kansas City's style of offense, spread the field, force you to play inside and with power, that's been the kryptonite for New England, and that's what Philly does all the time."

Former Pederson hater calls Super Bowl 'horrendous matchup' for Pats

And he nailed it.

I didn't see matchup problems per see, what I saw was a defense without any conditions to play a top level football game. Without the physical hability, without the awareness, without the speed, without IQ.
Half the offenses in the league would have done the same damage. I like Foles, always have, but let's not pretend the guy is Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, for ****s sake.

That goes way beyond matchups.

While watching the game I thought "the Pats still can't defend the RPO." KC and Philly have similar offenses. Atlanta schemed the Eagles much better. Maybe it's a matter of personnel, though on the other hand, the Pats didn't seem to mix it up much, which is key to beating an RPO offense.

Must draft better athletes at linebacker.

I didn't see matchup problems per see, what I saw was a defense without any conditions to play a top level football game. Without the physical hability, without the awareness, without the speed, without IQ.
Half the offenses in the league would have done the same damage. I like Foles, always have, but let's not pretend the guy is Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, for ****s sake.

That goes way beyond matchups.

I think it is more the style of play than the physical matchups. Unless you can shut the run down with your DL, like Seymour-Wilfork-Warren could do, the RPO puts a ton of stress on the backend. Put that together with an aggressive play caller and a confident QB and it’s a lot to deal with. After all, they scored 43 on the Rams D and 38 on the Vikings, both have significantly better D personnel than the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back