PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's look at our secondary on FA Day 1 compared to last year

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that our defense was terrible. Everyone saw the terrible stats all year that kept us at the bottom of the league. Oh, we made the playoffs and were embarrassed by one of the top 3 teams in the NFL. I must be reading posts form the jag board. There is lots of time, but let's see where we are starting from.
===========================
SAFETIES (6)
Everyone is back.
Our 3-man rotation is solid. Dugger is still improving.
Bledsoe brings up the rear as the development #4 who may or may not do anything.
Bethel and Davis are back as solid STers and the occasional rep, primarily in garbage time, or when there are more than 2 injuries.

CORNERBACK (5)
(Jackson out; Jones and Mitchell in)

CB1 - THE HUGE VOID AND SECOND BIGGEST OFFSEASON CHALLENGE (after the OL)
CB2 - Mills was surprisingly OK last year
CB3 - Jones coming back should be a major improvement, although his health might limit the amount of improvement
CB4/5 - There will be lots of competition for reps and roster spots. Mitchell looks like an improvement over Williams who played much too much and will hopefully be gone. Wade and/or Bryant hopefully will step up and replace Williams. I expect CB 4/5 to be better this year. Another free agent or two may come in to compete for reps and roster spots.
=====================
THE UNANSWERED QUESTION - WHO IS NUMBER ONE?
A) first round draft choice and/or a free agent
B) 2nd or 3rd round draft choice plus a free agent
C) a top free agent
====================
BOTTOM LINE
This unit is indeed almost ready to play. Obviously, we want to see what Belichick will do with this roster problem. I think we all want a major addition. That may or may not happen.

CB2 - Mills was surprisingly OK last year
If giving up the 2nd most TD's in the NFL last year, career worst in QB rating, not getting a single INT and only defending 7 passes, then I guess he was okay.

I know this board likes sticking up for him, but he was bad overall. 2nd half was better than the first. He wasn't exactly well liked by Philly fans as he was a talker and not much to show for it. He was blamed for the Eagles problems on D. I hated this signing last offseason and nothing has changed.

At one point, the Pats had the best CB group in the NFL. They are now among the worst.

If giving up the 2nd most TD's in the NFL last year, career worst in QB rating, not getting a single INT and only defending 7 passes, then I guess he was okay.

I know this board likes sticking up for him, but he was bad overall. 2nd half was better than the first. He wasn't exactly well liked by Philly fans as he was a talker and not much to show for it. He was blamed for the Eagles problems on D. I hated this signing last offseason and nothing has changed.

At one point, the Pats had the best CB group in the NFL. They are now among the worst.
He allowed 37/65/406 playing full time in 16 games.
Should we go get a wr who can put up those numbers and say he dominated the guy covering him?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back