PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Left Tackle

We'll be saying the same thing next offseason where the Pats will find a way to not spend on talent that is actually available. Bob will do his usual and eat up the cap with smaller transactions. Eventually, the money you roll over has to be spent. They have 5 years to do it.

Unless the Cowboys don't work out a deal with either Parsons or Lamb, one of them will be available. Aside from that, most of the other high profile players will be retained.
Most of the high profile players are retained every year. Just look at the pats. Uche, Onwenu and Duggar, all retained.

Personally, I would trade up to try to get Guyton or Mims.

At 34, Morgan, Paul and/or Suamataia might be available.
I think all three of them would be there. LT is valuable but how many teams actually need one as their #1 priority. Suamataia will be the first of those 3 off the board though.

My understanding of the draft is diametrically opposed to your position.
=================================================================
Approach the draft as it is with no moving around? Why, because trading around for players valuable to your team is just too difficult?

OK, you need to fire most of the staff. That is not how the folks we have operated.

Competent staff in the NFL look for value picks that fit their teams. Sometimes that means trading up, sometimes no trades, sometimes trading down.

If there is a LT available at 25 that we have on our board as being worth the 25th pick, we will CERTAINLY consider trading up for him, primarily dependent on the choice among all positions that are likely to be available when we pick.

Alternatively, if we have no one on our board at 34, then we will look to trade dwon.
===========
Yes, obviously there is more nuance to it then I posted using only our slotted positions. They can move up or down. But the larger point remains. They have to measure how good the player they're drafting/trading up for is against the desire to simply "check the box" at that position.

Let's say there's a LT on the board they have worth the 25th pick like you say. They should consider trading up for sure. BUT, what if the other team in that slot has him graded as worth the 12th pick and would want you to send a trade package that's above what you think the #25 pick should be worth? What if you can work a trade up but in addition to that LT you have as worth the 25th pick there's also a CB on the board that you'd say was worth the 12th pick?

What's better for the long-term outlook of this team... a "solid" starting LT or a pro bowl outside CB opposite Gonzalez? They've approached this offseason like year 1 of a rebuild and in that position you shouldn't specifically target by position because the roster picture is going to change. 2 years from now, some positions looked at as ok now on the depth chart will be needs. The biggest need of this team isn't just by position, they just flat out need more "great" football players.

Personally, I would trade up to try to get Guyton or Mims.

At 34, Morgan, Paul and/or Suamataia might be available.

Mims? No thanks; he’s a Right Tackle Only.

Yes please for all the others.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back