PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LaMont Jordan: A Keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot Power

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Really liked what I saw from the guy tonight... loved the decisiveness he had hitting the hole, no dancing. I don't expect him to supplant Maroney, but he can be a terrific complementary guy in the power back role for us.

Re: Lamont Jordan : A Keeper

At least he didn't fall down like a ton of bricks when the first defender at the line hit him - Maroney has that habit he has yet to break consistently and won't get any better if he doesn't do more often what Lamont did tonight

Really liked what I saw from the guy tonight... loved the decisiveness he had hitting the hole, no dancing. I don't expect him to supplant Maroney, but he can be a terrific complementary guy in the power back role for us.

Agreed....cut Eckel

Jordan gave me some flashes of Dillon tonight. The guy wants to hit someone out there. He will make it a lot easier to carry two TEs this year.

I never thought there was a doubt. I think Jordan is going to be the first RB off the bench. People have to remember this guy was a 1,000 yard back in Oakland and was on his way to a great season before he was injured last year. I still think his best role is as a change of pace back which he excelled at with the Jets.

I think the guy can have 400-500 yards rushing and another 200 yards receiving.

If Morris is healthy do you like Jordan more than Morris?

A healthy Morris late last year might have been the key to a Superbowl.

I personally like Jordan over Morris. Jordan is better suited for the role that Morris played last year as the short yardage and goalline RB. Plus Jordan is more proven before he came here. I wonder how much of Morris' success was other team's fear of the Pats passing offense. At least Jordan has a track record prior to the Patriots.

Morris was great before he got injured, but Jordan may be better in the same situation.

I personally like Jordan over Morris. Jordan is better suited for the role that Morris played last year as the short yardage and goalline RB. Plus Jordan is more proven before he came here. I wonder how much of Morris' success was other team's fear of the Pats passing offense. At least Jordan has a track record prior to the Patriots.

Morris was great before he got injured, but Jordan may be better in the same situation.

He looked good tonight. Looked like C.Dillon.

I think they're two different backs and frankly I'd like both, and I think Bill would too, provided Morris is healthy and as effective as he was last year. If our recent team history has taught us anything, it's that our running backs get hurt. '05 we were trotting out a gimpy Dillon and Heath Evans as our lead back... Maroney hasn't been an Iron Man... Faulk can get nicked up every now and then... last year Morris...

Find a way to keep them all... which is why you see Jordan out there for some special teams.

What we need is a 60 man roster!

Belichick re-stocked the special teams squad this off season which will make it easier to keep Jordan IMO. Eckel is a good ST'er but he is nowhere near the runner Jordan is.

At least he didn't fall down like a ton of bricks when the first defender at the line hit him - Maroney has that habit he has yet to break consistently and won't get any better if he doesn't do more often what Lamont did tonight
Can hardly blame Maroney. Did he have ANY time to make something happen with the defense swarming him so quickly? It was pathetic pathetic run blocking at times for Maroney early on.

Can hardly blame Maroney. Did he have ANY time to make something happen with the defense swarming him so quickly? It was pathetic pathetic run blocking at times for Maroney early on.

As with the backup QB assessments some people keep comparing apples to oranges. Jordan was running against the Ravens 2's and 3's, Maroney was facing their starters behind our cobbled together OL. He was just in there to knock the rust off. Had he tried to do something stupid to make a statement to Patriot64 and been injured in the process...that would have been tragic. Jordan was in their to prove to them he can handle 20 carries if they need him to. Had he been injured they would have had an unfortunate answer.

If Maroney were to get hurt for 3-4 games, Lamont would be the guy we want at RB. That's reason enough to keep him. He's also going from the Raiders to a team with a real passing game and a superior run-blocking line. Even if Maroney were to miss the season (God forbid) we're in good hands.

If Maroney were to get hurt for 3-4 games, Lamont would be the guy we want at RB. That's reason enough to keep him. He's also going from the Raiders to a team with a real passing game and a superior run-blocking line. Even if Maroney were to miss the season (God forbid) we're in good hands.

Superior Run Blocking Line????? WTF????

What team are you watching? - From what I have seen the OL is mediocre at best and even last year near the end of the season they were not that good - The passing game and the fear that the opposing defense had in letting up vs the run to defend the powerful passing game is the only reason why the running game was good at all last year in the playoffs.

What team are you watching? - From what I have seen the OL is mediocre at best and even last year near the end of the season they were not that good - The passing game and the fear that the opposing defense had in letting up vs the run to defend the powerful passing game is the only reason why the running game was good at all last year in the playoffs.

I'm guessing he meant superior to Oakland's.

If you put any stock in Football Outsiders metrics, and I certainly do, the Patriots run blocking graded out at #1 in the NFL last year, as well as #4 passing. It was the second different grading system I saw so far this offseason that had the Patriots #1. I'm not going to go into everything that goes into the system, but it measures things like average yards a running back gets before he gets hit, with a strength of schedule adjustment, how many times a team is successful running on 3rd and 4th and 1 or goal, how many times the RB is stuffed behind the line of scrimmage. Was the passing offense a factor? Yeah, of course. Football's a game of interdependence no matter what you're measuring. You could also (correctly) state that the reason the passing offense looked so good last year was the offensive line, or that the reason the defense looked so good was the special teams. They're all connected.

Let's not let the Super Bowl disaster taint our vision of all the good that the line did last year.

"Jordan gave me some flashes of Dillon tonight. "

YES.
I think he wants to prove how good he can be with a good team after playing for the Raiders... a la Moss.

If you put any stock in Football Outsiders metrics, and I certainly do, the Patriots run blocking graded out at #1 in the NFL last year, as well as #4 passing. It was the second different grading system I saw so far this offseason that had the Patriots #1. I'm not going to go into everything that goes into the system, but it measures things like average yards a running back gets before he gets hit, with a strength of schedule adjustment, how many times a team is successful running on 3rd and 4th and 1 or goal, how many times the RB is stuffed behind the line of scrimmage. Was the passing offense a factor? Yeah, of course. Football's a game of interdependence no matter what you're measuring. You could also (correctly) state that the reason the passing offense looked so good last year was the offensive line, or that the reason the defense looked so good was the special teams. They're all connected.

Let's not let the Super Bowl disaster taint our vision of all the good that the line did last year.
Rationality and $4 will get you a latte. :banned:

;)

calling running plays would have been the key to the superbowl;)

I think the line did a great job of protecting Brady for most of the year but not so good in opening holes up for the rushing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes