PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very sad news: RIP Joker

I've been wondering if this is indeed our beloved Joker here
patsies012-NVZS.jpg

State troopers tried to contain Patriots fans who crushed against a wire gate at Logan airport on Dec. 19, 1976. Stan Grossfeld / Globe File Photo

And is that the face of Tom E Curran between the Statie & the girl...?

And is that the face of Tom E Curran between the Statie & the girl...?
At the time I felt the same way as the angry kid in the middle. The Pats were robbed and Ben Dreith came across as happy that he helped the Raiduhs. He was a fan of theirs.

And then, 25 years later, the Pats got revenge. Even though we all know that the call was correct it still brightens my day when a Raiduh player or fan whines about the tuck rule. And to make it even better, former Raiduh DB George Atkinson was on a Top 10 program and proudly claimed that their motto back then was if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.

And now the Pats have twice as many Lombardis as the Raiduhs and the Raiduhs been blowing chunks ever since. I'd say that the Pats have basically tucked it to them ever since.

I urge all Pats fans in the vicinity of Ft. Logan National Cemetery to pay their respects to Ben Drieth, preferably with a full bladder
For starters. What a total sh*thead.

I think Madden knew he could count on Ben. Suddenly, in the last two minutes of an NFL playoff game, the ref decides it's ballet and Stabler flops down in desperation after ducking with a desperation throw.

Meanwhile, quarterbacks of that entire era are killed regularly with no call.

It's all bull sh*t. Two (2) Unsportsmanlike Conduct calls.

He was just doing whatever he could to take the game away from the Patriots and give it to the Frauders.

He was thinking he f*cked up by, although trying, allowing the Patriots to get that close to winning.

I never saw or heard of a bigger sports travesty.

Put a real damper on what had been a fairly nice year up until then for me...
It ruined Christmas.

1976 was years in the making.

Granted, the Missing Rings Raiders had, after losing Super Bowl II, lost an amazing six AFL/AFC title games in eight years plus the Immaculate Reception, was loaded with future Hall of Famers and perennial Pro Bowlers, and did not lose to anyone else.

They had a very large national following going back to the AFL, and the world considered them 'due'.

But, despite all of Al Davis' many brilliant accomplishments, he led the charge for the biggest crybabying franchise in sports, with their fan base believing they should have won every Super Bowl played to that point.

And they were a ratings giant for NBC, who covered the game in Pasadena that year.

In contrast to the national media frenzy over the Orange Crush only the following year after Denver did nothing in their history, the Patriots making the playoffs was a very quickly and quietly mentioned tidbit in NFL coverage.

For us, myself anyway, as a young lad I saw and heard an unmatched tsunami of denigration and derision of the Patriots my whole young life, and I knew and saw that the outstanding players not only had nothing to do with the travails of ownership, they overcame being underpaid and having substandard facilities with character and pride.

Chuck Fairbanks was a genius. I said in 1974 that Jim Plunkett was just as capable of winning two Super Bowls as Bob Griese or anyone else, and I was proven right years later. Chuck sent him off to SF for a draft booty that put us on top, and made us competitive for many years even after he left. And if there's one person most responsible for the Patriots winning as they did throughout the 70's & 80's, it is Steve Grogan.

There was, in that era, one caveat for the Patriots: If they stayed healthy, they could beat anyone.

And they did. Unlike several other ballyhooed teams, the Patriots were indeed the best team in the league that year.

It was, most of all, the year to put all of the morons in the league, opponents, and media in their place as Fairbanks hoisted the Lombardi Trophy and shut them all up.

Appropriately, on our nation's bicentennial.
I'm still pissed about this too. The 76 Pats team remains my favorite because they were the first great Patriots team we post merger. And John Hannah was our first GOAT.
It is Steve Grogan who put the Patriots on the map, and it was this team in this time which established the Patriots as championship contenders in modern (post-merger, Super Bowl) era of American professional football.

Dreith enabled the media and everyone else to continue the false laughingstock narrative to this day. Granted, they yes would have dismissed the Patriots as lucky or a fluke... perhaps even cheaters, as Fairbanks came from OU labeled 'controversial'.

But as happens more often than not, a team which wins their first Super Bowl tends to go back again. It sets their standard.

By 1985, as great as breaking the jinx was, the unmitigated happy to be there attitude infected everyone. To whatever extent coach Brooks was paying any attention, he held his nose.

It ruined Christmas.

Granted, the Missing Rings Raiders had, after losing Super Bowl II, lost an amazing six AFL/AFC title games in eight years plus the Immaculate Reception, was loaded with future Hall of Famers and perennial Pro Bowlers, and did not lose to anyone else.

They had a very large national following going back to the AFL, and the world considered them 'due'.

But, despite all of Al Davis' many brilliant accomplishments, he led the charge for the biggest crybabying franchise in sports, with their fan base believing they should have won every Super Bowl played to that point.

And they were a ratings giant for NBC, who covered the game in Pasadena that year.

In contrast to the national media frenzy over the Orange Crush only the following year after Denver did nothing in their history, the Patriots making the playoffs was a very quickly and quietly mentioned tidbit in NFL coverage.

For us, myself anyway, as a young lad I saw and heard an unmatched tsunami of denigration and derision of the Patriots my whole young life, and I knew and saw that the outstanding players not only had nothing to do with the travails of ownership, they overcame being underpaid and having substandard facilities with character and pride.

Chuck Fairbanks was a genius. I said in 1974 that Jim Plunkett was just as capable of winning two Super Bowls as Bob Griese or anyone else, and I was proven right years later. Chuck sent him off to SF for a draft booty that put us on top, and made us competitive for many years even after he left. And if there's one person most responsible for the Patriots winning as they did throughout the 70's & 80's, it is Steve Grogan.

There was, in that era, one caveat for the Patriots: If they stayed healthy, they could beat anyone.

And they did. Unlike several other ballyhooed teams, the Patriots were indeed the best team in the league that year.

It was, most of all, the year to put all of the morons in the league, opponents, and media in their place as Fairbanks hoisted the Lombardi Trophy and shut them all up.

It is Steve Grogan who put the Patriots on the map, and it was this team in this time which established the Patriots as championship contenders in modern (post-merger, Super Bowl) era of American professional football.

Dreith enabled the media and everyone else to continue the false laughingstock narrative to this day. Granted, they yes would have dismissed the Patriots as lucky or a fluke... perhaps even cheaters, as Fairbanks came from OU labeled 'controversial'.

But as happens more often than not, a team which wins their first Super Bowl tends to go back again. It sets their standard.

By 1985, as great as breaking the jinx was, the unmitigated happy to be there attitude infected everyone. To whatever extent coach Brooks was paying any attention, he held his nose.
I loved Grogan too, but for me Hannah was the man. He was the reason the 1978 team owned the single season rushing record for so long. The year after he retired, the rushing game fell off by 1,000 yards. He was like nothing I've ever seen as an OG, immensely strong and fast, quick, and agile. Watching him pull and pancake anyone in his path was so satisfying. DB's used to dive to the ground to avoid being hit by him. GOAT.

It ruined Christmas.

Truly Joker-worthy. But I'm drawing a blank here: who's coach Brooks?

It ruined Christmas.

It did ruin Christmas, I remember watching it with the Christmas tree lit and the awful call, I was pissed about it for weeks. To be honest I still am, it was ridiculous.

I loved Grogan too, but for me Hannah was the man. He was the reason the 1978 team owned the single season rushing record for so long. The year after he retired, the rushing game fell off by 1,000 yards. He was like nothing I've ever seen as an OG, immensely strong and fast, quick, and agile. Watching him pull and pancake anyone in his path was so satisfying. DB's used to dive to the ground to avoid being hit by him. GOAT.
Hog=GOAT

But the difference between winning most of those games and losing was Grogs

Ben Dreith did way more than call a phantom roughing the passer penalty. That game was fixed. Even though I was a teenager watching it, I still knew enough to know something wasn't right. The lack of a DPI call on Phil Villapiano's tackle of Russ Francis was even more egregious than the phantom RTP call. In fact, by the time that RTP call was made, most of us almost expected it.

Read all about it here: Why Do Raiders Fans Complain about the "Tuck Rule" Game but Forget 1976...? - The Grueling Truth

I will never give the Raiders fans any sympathy over the tuck rule game. None.

Ben Dreith did way more than call a phantom roughing the passer penalty. That game was fixed. Even though I was a teenager watching it, I still knew enough to know something wasn't right. The lack of a DPI call on Phil Villapiano's tackle of Russ Francis was even more egregious than the phantom RTP call. In fact, by the time that RTP call was made, most of us almost expected it.

Read all about it here: Why Do Raiders Fans Complain about the "Tuck Rule" Game but Forget 1976...? - The Grueling Truth

Wow, reading about that game it sure sounded fixed (I also read another article on it). Of course I'm likely swayed by the bias of the sources, but you have players outright calling it fixed, other players saying they've never seen worse officiating in their entire career. The guy was even given an 11 year hiatus from reffing Pats games. A tacit admission from the NFL that it was at least plausibly arguable that something was up. But Dreith and those refs were not let go, how odd...

Plenty of people think referees have never taken money to impact outcomes. But we see these "timely" calls that are as questionable as they are impactful all the time. Flags on phantom penalties that sure do seem to change the trajectory of a game at pivotal moments.

But it's all just brushed off. "A referee fixing a game? That's just too crazy, couldn't happen." Yet there are never any good explanations given as to why it could never happen. People simply rely on how outrageous a thought that is to surmise it's impossible.

I've been saying it for awhile. If refs on the take are smart, they'll make 1-2 impactful calls a game at opportune moments. They won't do it all year long and they aren't going to call triple the number of penalties against one team over another. That's too obvious, and unnecessary to impact a game.

We see evidence that supports this all the time. It's not conclusive evidence of corruption or as strong as a confession, but we can't expect that. Nevertheless, people just want to think it's incompetence every single time.

As far as this Ben Dreith, it sounds like he had explicit instructions to not just to impact the game, but to ensure the Raiders won. Patriots push him into a corner such that nearing the end of the game he needs to pull out all the stops to make that happen, obvious phantom penalties that call his honor into question or not.

Last edited:

The only part of that article I don't like is the "both are bad" about the 1976 game and the tuck rule game. There's no equivalence there

The only part of that article I don't like is the "both are bad" about the 1976 game and the tuck rule game. There's no equivalence there
Like Troy would say, Bingo! One knowledgeable ref interpreting the rules perfectly, vs. a corrupt ref (if you witnessed the game, corrupt certainly fits) who didn't call the obvious, right in his face, fouls, and made up several phantom penalties punishing the Pats, who were clearly the better team on the field that day.

Joker, hope you are in a good place. Always enjoyed your posts. A jarring reminder that our lives are fleeting and I hope to live it with as much jest as joker. Jets sucks.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back