PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Krafts Have a Decision To Make on GM

As for Mayo, I would run a broad-reach search for possible candidates to replace Bill as HC. I would of course welcome Mayo in that process, but beyond that, I would give him no particular advantages or priority whatever in the hiring process over any other of the candidates. I certainly hope the Krafts have not been so foolish as to offer any undertaking which would make that impossible. If Mayo wins the competition for the job: fine. If he doesn't: fine. There, at long last, is a win-win situation this year.

They have the worst record in the NFL, seems a high first is highly likely.
A "high" first?

I guess what you are saying is that we'll probably get the 3rd best QB with or 6th to 10th pick, presuming one is still available?

Consider the year that we picked Jones. It seemed that there was a true #1 franchise QB and the questionable rest. We got #5. And surprise, surprise, we didn't end up with a franchise QB. Why should this year be any different?

If we are talking about a 2nd and 4th rounder, we are talking about competition.
A first rounder can compete with whatever vet they bring in, assuming that they do not pony up for Cousins or Tannehill. Pass on the double dip.

A "high" first?

I guess what you are saying is that we'll probably get the 3rd best QB with or 6th to 10th pick, presuming one is still available?

Consider the year that we picked Jones. It seemed that there was a true #1 franchise QB and the questionable rest. We got #5. And surprise, surprise, we didn't end up with a franchise QB. Why should this year be any different?
We're currently projected as the 3rd pick. What makes you think we would be picking we would be picking 6th-10th based on what you've seen?

We're currently projected as the 3rd pick. What makes you think we would be picking we would be picking 6th-10th based on what you've seen?
What if Zappe screws it up with better QB play something we are starving for??

He's just as bad as Mac so I am not too worried.
203Pat: we agree on a lot of things but I think you're wrong here. Yes Zappe struggled with BOB's Offense in the Preseason but what if he's getting it now a more simplified version. BOB cussed out Mac on the sidelines last game probably saying even a blind monkey could have made that pass. Let's give the Zapper another fair chance.

203Pat: we agree on a lot of things but I think you're wrong here. Yes Zappe struggled with BOB's Offense in the Preseason but what if he's getting it now a more simplified version. BOB cussed out Mac on the sidelines last game probably saying even a blind monkey could have made that pass. Let's give the Zapper another fair chance.
I will give you this. It's hard to be worse than Mac has been this season. With that said I think Zappe is up to the task of outdoing Mac's crappiness.

Drew had a stronger arm but Brady did the little things better like spreading the ball to the open man quicker release and had a moxie and confidence that didn’t show up on a combine test. As well as safe to say more of a vision and feel for playing QB.
But I still will always love Drew hurt to see him and Milloy with Buff.
Right away it became apparent to me that Brady had an uncanny ability to look a defender off. Drew never was as good at it, notwithstanding his cannon for an arm.

Even though it was obvious Brady’s arm strength wasn’t near Bledsoe’s, what was apparent was his beautiful stroke. The tight spirals. The perfect placement. The ability to shift around the pocket to give himself an extra moment or two. Just beautiful. And his arm strength progressively improved over the course of his career.

It’s a real telling fact Brady was taken so late in the 2000 draft. He showed so much in college. Michigans fans, the most deluded in North America, were convinced Drew Henson was the second coming of the messiah or something.

Brady kept his mouth shut, played through the noise, and climbed the top of the QB depth chart.

I really think it occurred in East Lansing in October 1999. The Michigan coach had this ****amamie system of Brady playing the first and fourth quarters while Wonderboy would play the others. Something like that.

Well, Nick Saban’s Michigan State built a commanding lead. A lot if NFL talent on the Spartan defense (they would finish the season ranked #4) but Henson was so ineffective that Coach Lloyd Carr said F this and brought in Brady early, sometime in the third quarter.

That son of a 49ers fan led a furious rally that fell just short. Took me nine months for my finger nails to grow back.

I watched him. His composure was terrific. As we all now know. But back in the fall of 1999, no one knew.

But his teammates rallied around the oft overlooked QB and he remained the starter from then on. He performed admirably.

And he single handedily won the bowl game against a very talented Alabama team. Michigan was the underdog. Bama had more talent.

But Michigan had Brady.

So with this track record why was he passed over so many times? Multiple reasons. Poor physique, lack of speed, and lack of elite arm strength. And group think took over.

But what he became in the pros was there for all to see in college. But one just had to see.

Last edited:
Right away it became apparent to me that Brady had an uncanny ability to look a defender off. Drew never was as good at it, notwithstanding his cannon for an arm.

Even though it was obvious Brady’s arm strength wasn’t near Bledsoe’s, what was apparent was his beautiful stroke. The tight spirals. The perfect placement. The ability to shift around the pocket to give himself an extra moment or two. Just beautiful. And his arm strength progressively improved over the course of his career.

It’s a real telling fact Brady was taken so late in the 2000 draft. He showed so much in college. Michigans fans, the most deluded in North America, were convinced Drew Henson was the second coming of the messiah or something.

Brady kept his mouth shut, played through the noise, and climbed the top of the QB depth chart.

I really think it occurred in East Lansing in October 1999. The Michigan coach had this ****amamie system of Brady playing the first and fourth quarters while Wonderboy would play the others. Something like that.

Well, Nick Saban’s Michigan State built a commanding lead. A lot if NFL talent on the Spartan defense (they would finish the season ranked #4) but Henson was so ineffective that Coach Lloyd Carr said F this and brought in Brady early, sometime in the third quarter.

That son of a 49ers fan led a furious rally that fell just short. Took me nine months for my finger nails to grow back.

I watched him. His composure was terrific. As we all now know. But back in the fall of 1999, no one knew.

But his teammates rallied around the oft overlooked QB and he remained the starter from then on. He performed admirably.

And he single handedily won the bowl game against a very talented Alabama team. Michigan was the underdog. Bama had more talent.

But Michigan had Brady.

So with this track record why was he passed over so many times? Multiple reasons. Poor physique, lack of speed, and lack of elite arm strength. And group think took over.

But what he became in the pros was there for all to see in college. But one just had to see.
He also has walked on water and fed thousands of people with a few loaves of bread and a small basket of fish.

I’m not fully sure I trust Bill to not take Brock Bowers over Williams/Maye/Harrison, if he had the top pick. I’m serious.

He also has walked on water and fed thousands of people with a few loaves of bread and a small basket of fish.
During autographs with the players, no one went to Brady. He stood alone. While hordes went to get Drew Hanson’s sig. That is the fuel that fired Brady’s motivation.

During autographs with the players, no one went to Brady. He stood alone. While hordes went to get Drew Hanson’s sig. That is the fuel that fired Brady’s motivation.
I know, I was being a smart ass, when I grew up it was the Ted Williams stories we heard from our fathers, our kids and kids' kids will hear the TB stories, although with some exaggerating but mostly true.

Our terrible GM, who gave the Jets 120 and 184in the sixth round to take that gd kicker.

What did the Jets do? Take Carter Warren, a bona fide nfl LT who missed almost entire senior year at Pittsburgh. He’s starting at LT and to my eyes playing very well.

Great value in the fourth. Something Belichick has been missing too much in his reaches.

My prediction is Bill caves for his sons and comes to a comprise with Bob to allow Pioli, Dimetroff or Robinson to return as now the sole GM of the team. They best understand Bill, but will find guys who actually have talent.

Bob is really dreading firing Bill.
Great prediction. I sense they will come to a mutual agreement. Likely Wolf/Groh would assume GM duties, Mayo HC.. I think the Belichick boys are going either with thier father or off to other endeavors.

A "high" first?

There are at least 2 QBs considered "franchise QBs" in Williams and Maye.

Michael Penix just out of that top 2, but he's also highly regarded. Bo Nix is also considered neck and neck with Michael Penix.

So that's 4 possible 1st rounders at QB in 2024.

QB Rankings for 2024 NFL draft at nfldraftbuzz:

I’m not fully sure I trust Bill to not take Brock Bowers over Williams/Maye/Harrison, if he had the top pick. I’m serious.
Assuming Bill returns, he will be advised of the following on Black Monday: Williams is going to be selected with the Pats 1st OA choice. Maye with the Pats 2nd OA choice. And MHJ with the Pats 3rd OA choice. Depending on where everything falls.

If Bill does not like these conditions, he can just coach the team. If that is not enough, that's that I guess.

I can't see this not being an ownership call imo. When you own a team you deserve to have a big say on who the next franchise quarterback is. From all reports, Kraft has allowed Bill to run the drafts, FA, trading, and scouting etc. He allowed Bill to make the decision on the last franchise QB. And no matter whose fault it was, Kraft can not be happy that Brady went on to have two of his greatest years, not in a NEP jersey, all the while watching him hold a Lombardi trophy with the Bucs of all teams.

Some owners meddle and end up making a guy choose a bust or someone he doesn't want. From all reports, this HAS NOT happened in NE. Bill was given free reign. These busts etc are not on anyone but the GM. It hasn't worked in too long.

Patriots fans should have a major shrine to Brady and a minor one to Rehbein.

Where BB deserves credit is carrying four QBs on the roster to protect Brady from being poached.

Any other coach or GM would have put Bledsoe back in for the playoffs, and traded Brady that offseason. Belichick did neither. He coached the QB’s directly, saw Brady’s potential, then traded the former #1 overall pick, who they had just signed to a 100 million $$$ contract. Belichick was the person who believed in Brady, and his decisions, roster building, and coaching. along with Brady’s development led them to 9 Conference Championships and 6 Lombardi’s. Anyone who thinks it was all Brady doesn’t know anything about football.

Any other coach or GM would have put Bledsoe back in for the playoffs, and traded Brady that offseason. Belichick did neither. He coached the QB’s directly, saw Brady’s potential, then traded the former #1 overall pick, who they had just signed to a 100 million $$$ contract. Belichick was the person who believed in Brady, and his decisions, roster building, and coaching. along with Brady’s development led them to 9 Conference Championships and 6 Lombardi’s. Anyone who thinks it was all Brady doesn’t know anything about football.
People forget how tough of a decision that was, the Patriots had not won any SB's at the time Bledsoe recovered from his injury and Belichick could have easily lost his job if things had gone sideways that season. It was probably the biggest and most pressure packed decision he has ever made, and it surprises me that people take it for granted.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back