PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

KC Chiefs Results.......*yawn* (some needed sanity)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlacknGold77

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Let's get a nice healthy dose of reality and sanity around here, shall we?

1. It's week 1...crazy things happen every year in week 1 and people overreact every year in week 1.

- Are the Rams really a top contender because they smoked Indy by 35+?
- Are the Falcons all of a sudden overrated because they needed a last second goal line stand to beat lowly Chicago?
- Is Cleveland a NFC North contender because they were barely beaten by Pittsburgh?

2. Which leads into the larger point, how do so many people not understand how the Patriots progress through the season? It's beyond well known that they add more to the playbook each week. Also it's a known fact that Belichick and Co don't consider the team complete/figured out until week 8.

The 1st half of the season being where they work out the kinks, figure out roles and mold the team/playbook is pretty standard by now. This is where they figure out everyone's roles and responsibilities.

3. Just for fun, the last 3 years Brady/Bill lost in week 1?

2014 (plus its the last time we were stomped by KC...)

How did those 3 years end up?

Point being...all the chicken littles, calm down...step off the bridge and let the process happen.

Good post. I can buy that.

Also 2002 - won opener in a rout, missed playoffs. Also won opener in 2008, missed playoffs. 2010- waxed the Bengals in the opener, got rolled by the Jets in the playoffs.

I'm not all that concerned about Brady and the offense. I've seen Brady play much worse than that - including the opener in 2014. I expect some pains from losing JE and having new talent on board but they'll figure it out. There's a good reason why the man is GOAT.

The defensive performance was a lot more disconcerting but I know there are tweaks to be made.

There's a reasonable chance we're looking at 0-2 next week while the team figures itself out and if that happens I'm still not all that concerned. I never bought the 19-0 hype and I know nobody is going to accuse the Patriots of having a cream puff schedule this year. We are the defending champs for a reason. Teams have to be worried about us, not the other way around. I hated what happened Thursday but I'm cautiously optimistic as I was Thursday before kickoff.

Good post. I can buy that.

Also 2002 - won opener in a rout, missed playoffs. Also won opener in 2008, missed playoffs. 2010- waxed the Bengals in the opener, got rolled by the Jets in the playoffs.

I'm not all that concerned about Brady and the offense. I've seen Brady play much worse than that - including the opener in 2014. I expect some pains from losing JE and having new talent on board but they'll figure it out. There's a good reason why the man is GOAT.

The defensive performance was a lot more disconcerting but I know there are tweaks to be made.

There's a reasonable chance we're looking at 0-2 next week while the team figures itself out and if that happens I'm still not all that concerned. I know nobody is going to accuse the Patriots of having a cream puff schedule this year.

Agree on teh defense, but even there Im not ready to worry yet.

They always have a basic, vanilla defense early on. In the 2nd half of the year is when they start bringing the blitzes, exotic looks and playing more press.

And I agree it all looks worse because of losing Edelman. They're still re-tooling the offense to shift the focus and account for him being gone.

The Patriots issues in 2017 are bigger than previous years, I think. The injuries to key players are a tremendous concern, and the personnel turnover among the front seven on defense has me very concerned.

I am not buying the Patriots being favored by 4.5 points against the Saints in New Orleans. We'll get a good look at them tonight, but stopping Drew Brees is not something this defense looks like it can do. My guess is a shootout, but without Mitchell, Amendola and Edelman, it's unclear that Brady has the arsenal we all thought he'd have.

The Patriots issues in 2017 are bigger than previous years, I think. The injuries to key players are a tremendous concern, and the personnel turnover among the front seven on defense has me very concerned.

I am not buying the Patriots being favored by 4.5 points against the Saints in New Orleans. We'll get a good look at them tonight, but stopping Drew Brees is not something this defense looks like it can do. My guess is a shootout, but without Mitchell, Amendola and Edelman, it's unclear that Brady has the arsenal we all thought he'd have.

I am not buying it. I find it hard to believe this defense will give up 30 back to back. This defense has some good players and i am sure some are licking their chops next week to play much better.

Despite the Pats offense sucking and Brady being "washed up" that Pats still have the #6 offense(both yards and pts, though only out of 26 teams) :D

Why can't we have an awesome QB like Aaron Rodgers who managed to put up 17 points(7 gift wrapped by the defense)

Whether we win the super bowl or miss the playoffs totally, I won't complain. Sure I'd love another super bowl, but I'm a realist, not a dreamer.

How can I after all we have to be grateful for?

The reality is, the past 16 years have been the biggest fantasy run in NFL history for Patsfans. When it ends, that will be reality.

We can't expect this to last forever. That would be insanity

People that overreact in the game thread are doing what everyone here has done once or twice in their lifetime (and that's being waaaay optimistic). Getting frustrated cause the team you're passionate about isn't doing okay IS OKAY.

The amount of snobbishness in this forum FAR outweighs the "chicken littles" that come around Game Time. It's almost like we can't get upset, worried and not be called a downer, or worse. If you criticize something, there is a good number of active poster who would gladly watch you burn in a stake if they don't agree with it. Get a grip, people, no one is above making a mistake.

This makes what? The sixth thread about not worrying about the loss? I think I get it, the first week of the Season isn't mandatory for the season to be okay. Can we also agree that we need a lot of work to become a good team, come January? Good

PS - I didn't even get mad/worried about this loss, but the amount of people trying to excuse what was a horrible game by us is kinda funny.

Some thoughts

Few if any have focused on the Chiefs' undisciplined approach on the field ...15 penalties/139 yds.
The 15 point margin of victory could have have been substantially more had the Chiefs not been their own worst enemy.

While I whole heartedly agree NE will show vast improvement over the next several months, my baseline for this team has been lowered substantially.

NE will score less than anticipated as a result of the slot WR injuries.
NE will be less efficient on 3rd downs.
NE's offense will spend less time on the field....consequently...their defense will spend more time on the field....bringing the depth issue into the equation.

I expect NE to attempt to lean on the running game for obvious reasons: quality RBs, lack of WRs, chew up clock, take pressure off D.

The question becomes: Can NE's O line be an effective and consistent run blocking unit? With similar personal last year, the answer then was ...No... verses quality defenses

With a healthy roster, I expected Brady to put up legendary stats. Now....I think this team needs to run the ball effectively to create play action opportunities.

I have to believe the lights will be on in the Gillette back offices much later at night than in most years

I think most people out of a couple of people are okay. Nobody likes a loss (especially in the fashion that the Pats lost last week) but everyone seems to have perspective...in general.

3. Just for fun, the last 3 years Brady/Bill lost in week 1?

2014 (plus its the last time we were stomped by KC...)

How did those 3 years end up?

Just for fun, how many times did the Pats win the first game of the year and lost the Super Bowl or lost in the playoffs?

I think most people out of a couple of people are okay. Nobody likes a loss (especially in the fashion that the Pats lost last week) but everyone seems to have perspective...in general.

The chiefs are a good team but it will be interesting to see if they surpass the yards total we gave up to them after the first game. Our team made them look like an offensive juggernaut.

The chiefs are a good team but it will be interesting to see if they surpass the yards total we gave up to them after the first game. Our team made them look like an offensive juggernaut.

To be honest, I think the Pats' scheme wasn't the greatest and then the wheels really came off when Hightower got hurt. Plus we all know the front 7 doesn't have the greatest depth.

Again, this is just Week 1 loss. They play again Sunday with what I hope will be a better gameplan and more experience/trust/whatever on offense.

Some thoughts

Few if any have focused on the Chiefs' undisciplined approach on the field ...15 penalties/139 yds.
The 15 point margin of victory could have have been substantially more had the Chiefs not been their own worst enemy.

Allow me to offer a contrarian view - the Chiefs actually got away with a lot of defensive holding. They deserved several more penalties that went uncalled.

I am not say the referees are the reason we lost. We deserved it. However as noted the Chiefs have some undisciplined tendencies and that may bite them in the future.

The Patriots starting the season with ??? in a few areas is not new.
The Patriots getting beat during the season is not new.
The Patriots looking bad in a loss during the season is not new.

What the Patriots are is typically revealed sometime in November. If November comes and the losses have mounted, the passing game is not top tier productive, the defense cannot keep oppositions from scoring to a level that is markedly competitive? Than this loss to KC was prescient. Until then it's hard to imagine -- given the historical data -- a lack of faith that the Patriots will not improve their areas of poor execution and be a top tier team by the time we are all enjoying turkey w/gravy.

Allow me to offer a contrarian view - the Chiefs actually got away with a lot of defensive holding. They deserved several more penalties that went uncalled.

I am not say the referees are the reason we lost. We deserved it. However as noted the Chiefs have some undisciplined tendencies and that may bite them in the future.
Posters say this after every loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe