PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just wondering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Cold Bruschi

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Tully Banta-Cain has 5 sacks on the year. Where has he been lined up when he's gotten them? Has he been stood up in a 3-4 olb position or playing with his hand down as a 4-3 end? It seems like the few sacks we do get come on blitzs up the middle from either a safety or a mlb. Or just a bullrush from TBC or Wright. Either way this is obviously our biggest weakness going into the offseason.

Tully Banta-Cain has 5 sacks on the year. Where has he been lined up when he's gotten them? Has he been stood up in a 3-4 olb position or playing with his hand down as a 4-3 end? It seems like the few sacks we do get come on blitzs up the middle from either a safety or a mlb. Or just a bullrush from TBC or Wright. Either way this is obviously our biggest weakness going into the offseason.

It looks like TBC has developed the Freeney spin move. I've noticed it a few times, and he looks just like Freeney.

Tully is having a great season for us, especially in terms of expectations.

So don't take this as a knock on him, but I feel like most of his (and the teams') sacks so far have been related more to good coverage than busting through the line early. I haven't looked at any statistics to back this up, it just seems from watching the games that the sacks I've seen have come after the QB has been forced to hold the ball a little longer.

That's just sacks though. I have been very impressed with Tully's pressures/hits that have forced early throws, which in some cases have been way more impactful than a sack.

Agreed - TBC has done a great job causing pressure. Definitely missed him vs the Colts. On the flip side, I have to say, I've been REALLY underwhelmed by Burgess. I was expecting much more from him. I was sort of looking at him to be a Rosie Colvin type. Not even close.

I'm not ready to give up on burgess just yet, I think they just need to scheme him better, have him only play on 3rd and long.

I'm not ready to give up on burgess just yet, I think they just need to scheme him better, have him only play on 3rd and long.

agreed. To Tobias's point, TBC seems to have added some more pass-rushing moves while Burgess is a flat-out speedrusher who pretty much goes inside/outside.

My 02$

He is doing his job. It just doesn't show up in the way most fans want to see it, e.g. sacks.

He has 12 QB pressures which is in the upper half of that category.

I was actually talking about this with a friend the other day.

I find it interesting that Tully went to SF and had by all accounts a couple mediocre years there, to the point where his return to Foxboro was largely unheralded, with most of his contributions coming on special teams.

What was it about Mike Nolan's scheme in SF that kept Tully from performing at a high level?

Probably just got lazy, he got a pretty decent sized contract for a guy who was just a role player on his original team.

I was actually talking about this with a friend the other day.

I find it interesting that Tully went to SF and had by all accounts a couple mediocre years there, to the point where his return to Foxboro was largely unheralded, with most of his contributions coming on special teams.

What was it about Mike Nolan's scheme in SF that kept Tully from performing at a high level?

49ers had hoped that TBC could be your prototypical 3-down OLB or put his hands on the ground. As we all know, TBD showed to be a libility in coverage and setting the edge vs the run when taken on by tackles and guards. he does ok vs TEs. (see AFC Div vs SD where he was manhandled). He never improved in those areas in SF. IMO the 49ers misused him.

Here, BB is using him more in the pass rush and has even done a decent job vs the run. Could be that hes motivated more here. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back