PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

July 21 in Pats History: He Played for the Patriots?!

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Today in Patriots History
'I didn't know he played for the Pats!'

Happy 60th birthday to Henry Ellard
Born July 21, 1961 in Fresno, California
Patriot WR, 1998; uniform #17
Signed as a free agent on October 28, 1998

Desperate for help after a series of injuries decimated their receiving corps, the New England Patriots Wednesday signed veteran wideout Henry Ellard for the rest of the season.
Injuries to Terry Glenn, Troy Brown and Vincent Brisby forced the Patriots to resurrect the 37-year-old former Los Angeles Rams great and place him in the lineup this week against the Indianapolis Colts.
"He worked out very well (Tuesday) and was very precise about his routes," Patriots coach Pete Carroll said.
Ellard has recorded seven 1,000-yard seasons. He is third in all-time receiving yardage with 13,662 and fourth in receptions with 807.
Ellard has not played in 1998 after making 32 catches for 485 yards in 16 games for the Washington Redskins last season. The Patriots will be his third team in a 15-year career that began with the Los Angeles Rams and included a four-year stint with Redskins.
"A week and a half ago, I said this working out is kind of getting tiresome so I started to shift gears," Ellard said, "and that's when the call came in" from the Patriots.
New England is trying to climb to the top of the AFC East. The Patriots are tied with the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills for second place, a game behind the Miami Dolphins.
On Sunday, the Patriots failed to score a touchdown in a 12-9 loss to the Dolphins. With Glenn out with a hamstring injury, Brown sitting with a badly sprained ankle and Brisby lost with a broken finger, a harried Drew Bledsoe completed just 13 of 33 passes for 240 yards and an interception.
Rookie Tony Simmons, who has one catch for 47 yards, will start opposite Shawn Jefferson against the Colts.

1998_Henry_Ellard_New_England_Patriots_Game_Worn_Jersey_LOA_11_al.jpg

At the age of 37 Henry Ellard appeared in five games for the Pats, with five receptions for 86 yards. 1998 was the final year of a great 16-season, 228-game career. Ellard averaged 16.9 yards on his 814 NFL receptions for 13,777 yards, and scored 65 touchdowns. He had seven seasons with 1,000-plus yards receiving, led the league with 1,414 yards receiving in 1988, in yards per catch in 1996 (19.5), and once averaged 98.7 yards per game (1989). It is amazing that he only went to the Pro Bowl three times; he was also a first team All Pro in 1984 (when he returned two punts for touchdowns) and 1988.

Today Ellard still ranks 25th in NFL history for all-purpose yards (15,718), 15th in receiving yards and 33rd in receptions - despite having been surpassed by many in recent years who have benefitted from today's pass-happy rules. Since retiring from the NFL he has worked as a wide receivers coach with the Rams, Jets and Saints; he is now a high school head coach in San Antonio.

At the time of his retirement from professional football, Ellard held Rams' team records for career receptions (593), receiving yards (9,761), 100-yard games (26), punt return average (11.3), and total offense (11,663). Counting return yardage, he gained 15,718 total yards in his career. At the time of retirement, his 13,777 receiving yards ranked third all-time in NFL history.

Ellard was known for using his height and jumping ability to get to high passes, his leadership, and his superior skills as a route runner.​

'I didn't know he played for the Pats!', Part 2

A very unhappy 38th birthday to Kellen Winslow II
Born July 21, 1983 in San Diego
Patriot TE, 2012; uniform #82
Signed as a free agent on September 18, 2012

Kellen Winslow the second lasted all of nine days with Bill Belichick. In his only game with the Pats he caught one of the two passes thrown his way, for a twelve yard gain.

NY-CM405_SP_JET_P_20130801183343.jpg

Junior was originally the sixth overall pick out of Miami in the 2004 draft by the Browns. Winslow's best season was in 2007 when he had 82 receptions for 1,106 yards and five touchdowns. He played in 105 games from 2005 to 2013, totaling 469 receptions for 5,236 yards and 25 touchdowns.

Winslow seemed to continually wear out his welcome (he was with the Browns, Bucs, Seahawks, Pats and Jets), perhaps due to no teammates wanting to be assigned to room with him on road games:

The last time he made the news it was excrutiatingly cringe-worthy.

June 13, 2019:

June 13, 2019:

On November 4, 2019, Winslow pleaded guilty to the rape of an unconscious teen and sexual battery on a 54-year-old hitchhiker as part of a plea deal. In exchange for his guilty plea, the court agreed to sentence him to between 12 and 18 years in prison, rather than life imprisonment if he had been convicted in the trial. This past February Winslow agreed to and accepted a 14-year prison sentence for one count of rape and two counts of assault.

The sordid details are listed here:

Another Boston College Eagle

I wonder how many former BC Eagles have played for the Patriots over the existence of the franchise? The number has to be by far more than that of any other college.

Happy 76th birthday to Bob Hyland
Born July 21, 1945 in White Plains, NY
Patriot C/G, 1977; uniform #60
Signed as a free agent on August 5, 1977

7974868.jpeg

Bob Hyland was the ninth overall selection of 1967 draft by Green Bay, out of Boston College. He played in the NFL for eleven seasons and was the Packers' center in their Super Bowl II victory over Oakland. Hyland joined the Pats for the final season of his 11-year career, playing in the first three games of the 1977 season before being waived. After hanging up his cleats Bob returned to his hometown of White Plains, New York where he owned and operated a sports pub.

Nov 3, 2009 Election:

Hyland was an offensive lineman in the National Football League for eleven seasons, only the second rookie to start for Vince Lombardi. A member of the Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers in 1967, this lifelong White Plains resident played for the Chicago Bears, New York Giants, and the New England Patriots.​
Residents of Westchester County have known Bob Hyland as the proprietor of the Sports Page since 1981. Voted Westchester's Favorite Sports Theme Restaurant by Westchester Magazine every year since 1997, the Sports Page has been a genuine part of the commercial renaissance in White Plains.​
"I remind my friends that the job has required me to meet over 1,900 weekly payrolls," observed Hyland. "I live with the daily responsibility of fulfilling obligations to employees and staff, as well as being responsible to pay a myriad of business taxes."​
Hyland's business experience has included over sixteen years as a financial consultant and underwriter with Northwestern Mutual Life and Massachusetts Mutual.​

Aug 13, 2012:

March 13, 2011:

Dec 14, 2011:

Feb 3, 2017:

April 6, 2017:

Lengthy article on Bob Hyland the 1967 Green Bay Packers here:
Bob Hyland | Green Bay Bob

Missin'Sisson

Happy 50th birthday to Scott 'Missin' Sisson
Born July 21, 1971 in Marietta, Georgia
Patriot kicker, 1993; uniform #9
Pats 5th round (113th overall) selection of the 1993 draft, from Georgia Tech

sisson-1024x675.jpg

Aug 6, 2016: Whatever happened to Scott Sisson | AJC

Sisson was brilliant at Tech, setting a school record of 70 straight consecutive extra points and setting another with 84 points during the 1990 national championship season. That was the year Sisson hit a 37-yard field goal to beat top-ranked Virginia with seven seconds left, a moment that will always be remembered by Tech fans.​
He earned All-American honors his senior season when he hit 79.2 percent (19-for-24) of his field goals.​
In 1993, he was drafted in the fifth round by New England and it would be a sobering experience with coach Bill Parcells. Sisson made only 14-of-26 kicks and veteran Matt Bahr was brought in to handle the job the last three games. The next year, Sisson he kicked well in training camp but Bahr beat him out. Released, Sisson went to Tampa for a week but didn’t make it there either and sat out the season.​

After a quarter of a century where the Patriots had just two kickers, it is easy to forget that in the 25 years prior there was a revolving door at the position.

Dec 14, 1993:

Philadelphia released its placekicker Monday, and New England coach Bill Parcells hinted the Patriots might follow suit.​
"I just thought we had to do something," Eagles coach Rich Kotite said.​
Bahr missed five of his last eight field goal tries, including a 21-yarder and a 45-yarder, the latter on the last play of Sunday's 10-7 loss to the Buffalo Bills. Three of Bahr's last four kicks hit the goal posts.​
The Patriots have tried out several kickers in recent weeks, looking at Elliott twice, but reluctantly have stayed with Scott Sisson.​
Parcells said his rookie kicker, who missed a 27-yard attempt Sunday and has failed on his past three tries from within 30 yards, may not be ready for the NFL.​
"That kick yesterday, they don't get any easier than that," Parcells said. "I was really stunned. It really surprised me. We were right in front there."​
After the miss, a fan was ejected for holding up a "Home of Missin' Sisson" banner behind the Patriots' bench.​
The Patriots (2-11) snapped a seven-game losing streak with a 7-2 victory over the woeful Cincinnati Bengals, but that did not lessen the pressure on Sisson.​
He has made just 14 of 26 field goals, and the Patriots are the only team without a field goal of longer than 40 yards. New England has lost six games by three points or fewer, making Sisson's misses more glaring.​
"I've tried to find someone that can do better," Parcells said, rubbing his eyes in apparent frustration. "If I could come up with a viable alternative, I might do it."​
"I really don't ever want to go in that direction with this team if I can help it, particularly at this point of the season when most of the damage has been done already," Parcells said. "I've lived this long with this guy."​
Asked if he still thinks Sisson has the ability to kick in the NFL, though, Parcells said: "I don't necessarily think so."​

Dec 14, 1993:

Kirk, a season ticket holder for four years, said he took exception to comments from Patriots publicity directors who said he used abusive language.​
"I had planned to do nothing against the Patriots until I saw the comments trying to make me look like the bad guy," Kirk said. "I work with police officers every day. I don't need it in the paper that I'm cursing at police officers and that I'm giving them a hard time. I gave nobody grief. I didn't use profanity or anything. I cooperated and left the stadium."​
Kirk, a constable in Rhode Island, hung the sign over the railing behind the Patriots' bench after Sisson missed his only field goal attempt in the second quarter.​
Kirk had displayed the sign at the stadium on at least one other occasion this season.​
When he was approached by security personnel, Kirk said he asked about his right to free speech.​
"They said, `You have freedom of speech, except in Foxboro,' " Kirk said.​
Patriots public relations director Mike Hanson explained the reason for the ejection:​
"We reserve the right to take down any sign derogatory to the team or the organization. We felt the location of the sign, and the sign itself, were derogatory."​

Dec 15, 1993:

These days Scott Sisson works as a web designer and consultant, and as a field goal kicking tutor.

'The Widowmaker'

Whatever happened to the forum member that was a big LeKevin Smith fan? What was his screen name, Keegs - or was that someone else?

Happy 39th birthday to Le Kevin Smith
Born July 21, 1982 in Macon, Georgia
Patriot DT, 2006-2008; uniform #90
Pats 6th round (206th overall) selection of the 2006 draft, from Nebraska

Lekevin3-1-696x900.jpg

Le Kevin Smith was inactive or did not play in all but three games of his rookie season in 2006. He appeared in 13 games in 2007, as a backup defensive lineman and on special teams. Smith was also a member of the Pats kickoff return unit, which blocked for Ellis Hobbs' 96-yard return against the Raiders in week 15. Smith also played in Super Bowl 42, credited with half a sack. Smith recorded a career high 14 tackles during the 2008 season, playing in 15 games. He finished his career as a Patriot with 18 tackles and one fumble recovery in 31 games played.

LeKevin-Smith-Eli-Manning.jpg

Smith was traded to Denver at the end of training camp in 2009. Two years later he went to his doctor for an MRI due to some discomfort in his neck. It was discovered that he had three bulging spinal discs and spinal cord damage, and could never play football again. He now works as a senior project manager for the Rand Construction Corporation in the Atlanta area.

July 21, 2006:

Aug 21, 2006:

Feb 2, 2017:

More July 21 Birthdays

Happy 30th birthday to Eric Martin
Born July 21, 1991 in Los Angeles
Patriot LB, 2014-2015; uniform #53
Signed as a free agent to the practice squad on December 29, 2014

Eric Martin played in four games for the Patriots, with one forced fumble. He made the initial roster out of training camp in 2015, then bounced on and off the practice squad three times. Martin was originally signed by the Saints in 2013 as an undrafted rookie from Nebraska; he played in 29 games for Cleveland in 2013-14.

eric_martin.jpg

Jan 25, 2018:

Happy 30th birthday to LaAdrian Waddle
Born July 21, 1991 in College Station, Texas
Patriot OT, 2015-2018; uniform #68
Claimed off waivers from Detroit on December 16, 2015

LaAdrian Waddle was signed as an undrafted rookie from Texas Tech by the Detroit Lions in 2013. In two and a half seasons there he played in 30 games, with 24 starts. For the Patriots Waddle filled in very well as a swing tackle when called upon due to an injury (Marcus Cannon), playing in 31 games with seven starts for the Pats. After winning two Super Bowl rings he found a nice payday with the Bills in the 2019 offseason: a one year deal worth $2 million, with $400k guaranteed. However he was carted off the practice field during training camp with a torn quadriceps and spent the entire season injured reserve - and never again played in the NFL.

DCDTXKBIEMI6TKH37Z7FWY4QAI.jpg

Nov 27, 2013:

Dec 15, 2015:

Dec 16, 2015:

March 9, 2016:

March 11, 2019:

March 16, 2019:

Aug 5, 2019:

July 21, 2021:
Training camp commences with three rookie draft picks: LB Cameron McGrone, S Joshuah Bledsoe and RB Rhamondre Stevenson being placed on the Non-Football Injury list.

July 21, 2016:

July 21, 2014:

July 21, 2008:

July 21, 2006:

July 21, 2003:

Other pro football players with New England connections born on this date:

Happy birthday to Don Macek
Born July 21, 1954 in Manchester, NH
Manchester Central High School, Boston College

Happy birthday to Joe Restic
Born July 21, 1926
Head Coach at Harvard from 1971-1993 and innovator of the multiflex offense.

Happy birthday to Herb Hannah
July 21, 1921 - March 28, 2007
Father of Patriot Hall of Famer John Hannah

Happy birthday to Robert Hazelhurst
July 21, 1924 - November 11, 1988
77th overall pick of the 1947 draft by the Boston Yanks

Other notable NFL players born today include Whitney Mercilus, Fred Smoot, Wesley Woodyard, Dale Hackbart, David Carr and Jon Kimmel (one of three brothers to play in the NFL).

Happy 50th birthday to Scott 'Missin' Sisson

These days Scott Sisson works as a web designer and consultant, and as a field goal kicking tutor.

Another draft pick wasted on a ****ing kicker...5th ****ing round too...Reminds me of another 5th-rounder 27 years later...

And exactly Who the **** would hire that useless ****ing stiff as a kicking tutor?!?

Kinda surprised that Adrian LaWaddle hasn't played since tearing his quadriceps...Is that usually a career-ender?

And yeah I remember Keegs! You might be right about his being a LeKevin Smith fan...And didn't his 1/2 sack occur on the play immediately preceding or proceeding the fumbled handoff during the 2nd quarter which Pierre Woods failed to recover? At least 3 points gone right there...

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back