PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Clayton's overview of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs06/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2715508

this guy is usually funny...he is the one said the new rules of road teams carrying their own footballs will help the colts, and in this article he makes a case for the colts again...
Tony Dungy saved safety Bob Sanders for the playoffs, figuring his knee only has a game or two of quality, eight-in-the-box run-stopping skills. Like John Lynch in Denver, Sanders can inspire the run defense with a hard hit or two. Plus, he's a good tackler and tackling has been a problem for the Colts all season.
Wish it were just that easy...:)

After being out 4 or 5 games before they played us, he came back, then went on hiatus again. He is a difference maker. Hope LJ decommissions him again.

6. But don't give up on Indy: The Colts still have Peyton Manning.

That just made me laugh.

He's been picking the Colts all year with the ridiculous rationale that "they have to win some time". He's a tool. I recalled today how he wrote that the Iggles were done after McNabb got hurt.

The Colts are going to lose in round one. The Chiefs are an AWFUL match-up for them.

Of course he qualifies everything by saying, which in the end does not say much at all:

10. Prediction: Logic says it's the Bears against the Chargers. The Chargers have nine Pro Bowlers and five alternates, best in football. The Bears are the only team in the NFC that has a top 10 scoring defense. Still, I picked the Colts at the beginning of the season. I'm going to stick with them. They can't stop the run and they will have to win two road games to get to the Super Bowl. One of these years Manning will get to a Super Bowl. It doesn't look like it will be this year because of Indy's defensive problems, but I'm just trying to stay consistent with my picks, which usually don't work out anyway.

Such a tool, he stresses that the Pats are 5-3 at home and that will do us in, but fails to mention we have the best road record in the AFC and tied with the Bears in the NFL. And it looks like the Pats, after the WC round will have to go on the road. Gee, I guess that isn't important, or maybe he chooses to ignore that fact because it doesn't support his ball washing of Manning.

I don't like Clayton but at least he sticks by his guns. Boomer stuck by his prediction of the Pats-Seattle Super Bowl yesterday on CBS. He loves Brady. Although he said he doesn't think Seattle will make it.

To get the best perspective of how much preperation and thought went into this preview, you need to go the ESPN front page and look at the link to the article.

It has a really nice picture with 4 players highlihting the first round of the playoffs. There is Tony Romo, Brian Westbrook, Tom Brady, and Champ Bailey. Champ Bailey of course will not be in the playoffs.

"The Patriots have won three in a row, but I wouldn't call them hot".

Excuse me? They've won 6 of 7 and beat Jax and Tenn on the road in games those teams NEEDED to win. Give me a break with this idiot. Talking about QB and coaching experience, he tucks Brady and BB's numbers near the bottom of his paragraphs. This guy is a moron.

Pro Bowl Smoe Bowl. He uses this to base any logic on his projections. So John, would you rather have Pro Bowl Rivers or future HOF Brady as your qb?

Such a tool, he stresses that the Pats are 5-3 at home and that will do us in, but fails to mention we have the best road record in the AFC and tied with the Bears in the NFL. And it looks like the Pats, after the WC round will have to go on the road. Gee, I guess that isn't important, or maybe he chooses to ignore that fact because it doesn't support his ball washing of Manning.

I immediately thought exactly what you wrote. Funniest part is his quote of "In the AFC, home field advantage means everything". Tell that to the 7-1 road record Pats.

An opinion is one thing, John, but when you don't do your homework on facts it just looks like you're mailing it in.

I immediately thought exactly what you wrote. Funniest part is his quote of "In the AFC, home field advantage means everything". Tell that to the 7-1 road record Pats.

An opinion is one thing, John, but when you don't do your homework on facts it just looks like you're mailing it in.

The other thing about Clayton railing on the home record, the Pats will likely only have 1 home game. Whatever. Its clear this dork never put on pads in his life and has as right commenting on the NFL as an average girl scout does.

Of course he qualifies everything by saying, which in the end does not say much at all:

10. Prediction: Logic says it's the Bears against the Chargers. The Chargers have nine Pro Bowlers and five alternates, best in football. The Bears are the only team in the NFC that has a top 10 scoring defense. Still, I picked the Colts at the beginning of the season. I'm going to stick with them. They can't stop the run and they will have to win two road games to get to the Super Bowl. One of these years Manning will get to a Super Bowl. It doesn't look like it will be this year because of Indy's defensive problems, but I'm just trying to stay consistent with my picks, which usually don't work out anyway.

John Clayton is a Peyton Manning lover. He is such a freaking tool...not to mention a nimrod. The quote expresses his love, "One of these years Manning will get to a Super Bowl"...he should have added that he hopes.

Last edited:
10. Prediction: Logic says it's the Bears against the Chargers.
I'm not so sure about the Bears... I think they could be beaten by the.... whoa... jeez the NFC really does suck, doesn't it? :confused:

Not only that, he ignores the fact that the Pats have thoroughly dominated teams on the road: their average differential at home this season is +4.75, while their average on the road is +14 (and that includes the Miami debacle).

Clayton's a tard. He and Bayless make me cringe every time they open their mouths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST