PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joejuan Williams moving to safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people including DMac are praising JJ today -- are they all part of a conspiracy protecting BB's drafting?
I know, I know everyone hates PFF but he was their highest graded NE defender yesterday.

Hard to tell from the broadcast, but I was pretty certain the ball was tipped. Regardless, when I focused on him during other plays, he was sticking to his man and playing the ball. You don't want him matched up in the slot against a speedster like Hill, but when he can play man to man against TEs or bigger receivers, he's really good. I thought he was the best corner in the SEC the year he declared for the draft. He had strong games against numerous players who have gone on to a measure of NFL success (for example, fellow second-year player A.J. Brown).

Williams will have his ups and downs, but I'm excited to see what he can do to improve the Patriot's defense against TEs.

He has exceeded my expectations. It was very smart to put him on the TE. I'm excited to see him and Dugger progress through the years together as a possible safety tandem.

It's been well documented that I hated the pick, there were so many better players that were a HUGE need at the time. It still kills me that when we traded up to take Williams, the two 2nd round slots we gave up, the selections in those slots were WR's Mecole Hardman (speed receiver we desperately need, and pro bowl return man) and DK Metcalf, who has incredible talent. Imagine if we took those 2 guys in the original slots instead of trading up for Williams. We also passed up WR AJ Brown (GREAT rookie season), WR Parris Campbell, TE Irv Smith (desperate need at the time). Just painful to see all those guys already succeed when they were right in our grasp.

That being said, I digress, was happy to see Williams play well yesterday, hopefully he becomes really successful.

Against the Seahawks who will cover Metcalf when we go man-to-man? Metcalf is tall, very strong and very fast, but has a limited route tree. Seattle's tight end is Greg Olsen, tall, smart, strong, 35 years old, and not a burner. Who covers Metcalf and who covers Olsen? I assume that Gilmore is on Lockett. I assume we have JC Jackson and J Williams to cover Metcalf and Olsen.

Against the Seahawks who will cover Metcalf when we go man-to-man? Metcalf is tall, very strong and very fast, but has a limited route tree. Seattle's tight end is Greg Olsen, tall, smart, strong, 35 years old, and not a burner. Who covers Metcalf and who covers Olsen? I assume that Gilmore is on Lockett. I assume we have JC Jackson and J Williams to cover Metcalf and Olsen.

Williams has covered Metcalf before in college and held up pretty well. I'd put Williams on Olson, though. Gilmore and Jackson will take turns with Metcalf. I assume Jones will be on Lockett. We'll find out. :)

Gesicki went for 130 today and a td vs the bildos

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey