PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy GQ officially staying in SF per Schefter

Browns would be an interesting destination, but only if he's cut AND they figure out Watson's situation with enough time to get him up to speed. I can't imagine them trading for JG at his salary just to fill in for half a season (or whatever it ends up being).

Maybe the Dolphins? Not sure they're sold on Tua, but also don't think JG is their kind of QB.

Everyone else in the AFC has their guy, or at least a rookie they're going to give a serious chance to (like Pittsburgh).

In the NFC, Atlanta is a possibility, but it depends on if they're taking this year as a building year.

Seattle could use someone to compete with Lock now that Baker is in Carolina, but would SF trade in the division?

Detroit already has an overpriced starting QB.

It would be hilarious if he got traded to Tampa to be Brady's backup again, but no one in that situation would be okay with that.

All things considered, I don't see any way a team takes on that salary in a trade. He's going to get cut, then he'll sign a modest deal to compete on a team that has a QB they're not sold on. If I had to bet money, I'd say he gets cut and signs with Seattle.

He's been on the block this entire time, teams don't want to inherit that contract, or if they do don't want to pay a draft ransom for the pleasure of doing so.
Not while injured. He was just cleared to start throwing again.

What team is going to bring in a QB and not watch him throw? None
Either he gets cut and the 49ers eat that money... or some team trades a late round pick for him. Only an idiot team does both. The Browns have space and Rosen is horrid, I'd make the one year rental if I were them. But they're famous for "dumb."
Why would Jimmy consider the Browns when he knows that Watson is their 230 million dollar QB of the future.

I'm no fan of Jimmy but he is better than Hoyer
Are you saying we trade for Jimmy and pick up the remainder of his contract? If so what is the cap hit to the team picking up the remainder of the contract? If you are assuming we get him if he is released then what will be his FA market value? Both of those scenario’s seem to use up a lot of cap money we already do not have and can be better spent on other positions if we did free up money by cap manipulation or player releasing. All this to replace our back up QB and to try and push Mac.

Are you saying we trade for Jimmy and pick up the remainder of his contract? If so what is the cap hit to the team picking up the remainder of the contract? If you are assuming we get him if he is released then what will be his FA market value? Both of those scenario’s seem to use up a lot of cap money we already do not have and can be better spent on other positions if we did free up money by cap manipulation or player releasing. All this to replace our back up QB and to try and push Mac.
NFL contracts are renegotiated between the buying team and selling team frequently.

BB has been trying to get Jimmy back ever since he left. If Jimmy came back, It would not mean a thing about Jones either. All the Pats are doing is taking a flyer on a possible upgraded at back up QB. Hoyer was brutal when he finally got his chance to play and its doubtful that he could win a game. At least Jimmy could win a game now and then.

Bledsoe had Brady pushing him
Brady had Cassel and Jimmy pushing him.
Jones has nobody. Hoyer isnt a serious contender and Zappa is green.

Not while injured. He was just cleared to start throwing again.

What team is going to bring in a QB and not watch him throw? None

Why would Jimmy consider the Browns when he knows that Watson is their 230 million dollar QB of the future.
I was talking about trading for him, a one year rental for the Browns assuming Watson is suspended... which he will be, it's just a matter of how long. But if/when Watson does come back, I'm sure they'd rather be in striking distance of getting into the playoffs, which they have a better chance of doing with Jimmy than any of their alternatives.

I was talking about trading for him, a one year rental for the Browns assuming Watson is suspended... which he will be, it's just a matter of how long. But if/when Watson does come back, I'm sure they'd rather be in striking distance of getting into the playoffs, which they have a better chance of doing with Jimmy than any of their alternatives.
Jimmy must be a Gypsy traveling from city to city.

He could rent to top floor of the Cleveland Marriot hotel downtown.

It’s been a while since I analyzed his contract since we have Jones now, but I believe Jimmy’s contract is not guaranteed at this point so the 49ers can cut him and they don’t eat any money. But then they look stupid for cutting him without getting any compensation back at all when they were demanding a first round pick or more for him or else refusing to talk just last season.

All in all it’s actually pretty funny when you also consider that they were reportedly so high on Mac and supposedly traded up for him but then pivoted and talked themselves into Lance in the final week. It’s hard to know what truth there is to that but there was a ton of smoke surrounding it so it’s hard to think that there’s no truth there. I’m certainly very curious to see what Lance has got and how he compares to Mac, considering the ransom they paid to get him.
They'd eat 1.4 million which is nothing in NFL terms, but any team that trades for him would be on the hook for that 25.6 million salary. I'm sure there were some QB needy teams that wanted him, they just didn't want to trade anything of value for him when they knew the 49ers might eventually cut him and they could sign him as a free agent for nothing.

I liked the look of Lance as well as Mac, but Trey was an obvious project... he was not going to start in year one. Mac was the most pro ready guy, makes sense that Shanahan wanted him. If Lance flops, the trade up by the 49ers will be a colossal failure.

Jimmy must be a Gypsy traveling from city to city.

He could rent to top floor of the Cleveland Marriot hotel downtown.
He should be looking for the best team to play out a prove it year and earn another massive contract. The Browns are a good team. Traveling is part of the job.

He should be looking for the best team to play out a prove it year and earn another massive contract. The Browns are a good team. Traveling is part of the job.

Jimmy would be a fool to not look long term.

but I believe Jimmy’s contract is not guaranteed at this point so the 49ers can cut him and they don’t eat any money.
If Jimmy is on the 9ers roster week 1, it becomes fully guaranteed. There’s speculation from Mike Florio the 9ers will wait it out to see if there’s a major training camp injury to get better value back for Jimmy G. If no injuries occur, the 9ers could wait until the 11th hour to ask Jimmy to take a pay cut or else they will release him. His back will now be against the wall.
All in all it’s actually pretty funny when you also consider that they were reportedly so high on Mac and supposedly traded up for him but then pivoted and talked themselves into Lance in the final week.
People close to Shanahan (Shannon Sharpe, Chris Simms), knew it was Jones at the time of the trade. However, the trade happened too early which gave them more time to convince themselves that they should reconsider the potential of Lance after missing out on Watson and Mahomes. This was their speculation.

The obvious destination for Jimmy G that nobody's talking about is the Giants. The have a good amount of talent on offense that has failed to coalesce because they have the worst starting QB in the league (and by a wide margin). Combine Jimmy G with Daboll's scheme (provided Daboll is everything he is cracked up to be), and the Giants could compete in a weak division. Plus, he makes for a perfect short-term solution should the Giants draft and develop a QB in 2023.

The obvious destination for Jimmy G that nobody's talking about is the Giants. The have a good amount of talent on offense that has failed to coalesce because they have the worst starting QB in the league (and by a wide margin). Combine Jimmy G with Daboll's scheme (provided Daboll is everything he is cracked up to be), and the Giants could compete in a weak division. Plus, he makes for a perfect short-term solution should the Giants draft and develop a QB in 2023.

You have to figure that the Giants would consult BB first and that he would give positive Jimmy reviews

No guarantees that Jimmy will have the same arm strength after his recent shoulder surgery.

My surgically repaired shoulder is way better (strength and agility) than the other one which is undamaged and original. JG is a much younger and stronger person than I am (crusty old person) so I think with all the active rehab services available to NFL players he should be fine.

This might be right, but Toney is a crazy one. Daboll and JimmyG might be a good fit.

Money aside, Pats needed Jimmy to fill in four games... he couldn't get through the second one. He's got talent, but just too much of a health risk, starter or otherwise.

Garoppolo doesn’t want to come here to be a back up and he has no shot at starting unless Jones is injured or completely falls apart.

I don’t think Belichick wants him back either. Last year he might have as an one year stop gap while a rookie developed whether it was Jones or Mills or whoever. Now, there is little doubt Belichick wants to go with Mac.

Unless Watson gets more than a half year suspension, I don’t expect him to want to go to the Browns. He wants to start and not just for half a season. He is playing for a long term deal or to cash in during next year’s free agency. That could change if the Browns guarantee his entire salary of $25 million.

My surgically repaired shoulder is way better (strength and agility) than the other one which is undamaged and original. JG is a much younger and stronger person than I am (crusty old person) so I think with all the active rehab services available to NFL players he should be fine.

Short term it could hurt him since he probably lost a lot of range of motion of his shoulder due to the surgery which he has to build back over time.

...All in all it’s actually pretty funny when you also consider that they were reportedly so high on Mac and supposedly traded up for him but then pivoted and talked themselves into Lance in the final week. It’s hard to know what truth there is to that but there was a ton of smoke surrounding it so it’s hard to think that there’s no truth there. I’m certainly very curious to see what Lance has got and how he compares to Mac, considering the ransom they paid to get him.

I can still hear Mike Lombardi, during his football/Las Vegas odds etc program before the draft, say right into the camera that the 49ers were taking Mac Jones... Something strange definitely happened in that FO...

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back