PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo at AFC Coaches Breakfast

I'm very impressed with @Ross12 analysis of every single word uttered by Mayo to decipher the true meaning and intent of what the Patriots will do with the #3 pick. Unfortunately, you seem to be discombobulated.

The reality is that what Mayo is saying is Patriots will not select any QB during this draft or trade back. They will pick MHJ, Coleman and Polk with their first 3 picks, and BPA with the others except for #193 (the Jax pick) which they will use to trade for Kyle Trask, the real QBOF. This will obviously shock the entire NFL and thus, a win-win for the Patriots. Kyle Trask will be the Week 1 starter for the NE Patriots. Book it.
I actually mentioned trading for a young QB on a rookie deal in another thread yesterday too, although the one I mentioned was Sean Clifford in GB.

SorryvThelinius, but this really isn’t your Philosophy class, although you clearly miss it. This is simple football reality, if you believe there is a QB with a franchise ceiling you take them, coach them up, and build around them. It’s not abstract; it’s not theoretical, it’s just competition. If you have a really good QB you can contend, if you don’t you won’t. Or, as Neitzsche said so profoundly, “ take the quarterback, we’re all gonna die anyways.”

Or was that Mike Tyson? I always get those two mixed up.
Yes, you are indeed clearly mixed up. Rejecting any and all offers for the pick before hearing what those offers are is foolish, which makes you a fool as well. Condolences on your issues.

Yes, you are indeed clearly mixed up. Rejecting any and all offers for the pick before hearing what those offers are is foolish, which makes you a fool as well. Condolences on your issues.

Thanks, greatly appreciated. Best wishes on your efforts to bless the world with your superior intellect, and insight that even the simplest of questions is far deeper and more complex than they really seem.

Last edited:
Thanks, greatly appreciated. Best wishes on your efforts to bless the world with your superior intellect, and insight that even the simplest of questions is far deeper and more complex than they really seem.
Everything is simple to the simple minded.

Everything is eternally deep to those who believe they are eternally deep.Night is another form of day and day another form of night. And it’s always 5 O’ Clock somewhere to the simpletons.

One who is likely a mid tier QB to begin with. (Think a Kyler Murray)

While I understand the argument that using a high pick on a quarterback is inherently risky, because some always bust, I think they have to take risks to build a great franchise, and they have to be willing to take the heat when some of those moves fail. All you can do is take the time to do your evaluations and then go for the players you believe in. The Hall of Fame could dedicate entire wings to players that were deemed too risky, but who ended up as some of the greatest players of all time. Randy Moss dropped like a stone on Draft day because of the “ risk” associated with him, and the same goes for Vince Wilfork. Whereas Andrew Luck may have been considered the safest pick of all time. And while he was clearly as talented a quarterback as it gets, he just never seemed to have the burning desire to win everything the way guys like Brady and Manning had. So for me in fine with the Patriots taking their shot with the #3 pick, because it’s really hard to see where else they are going to find a franchise quarterback, I’m also fine with them double dipping at the position, by taking a guy like Joe Milton later, as he has as good an arm as you will find, but will need a lot of work getting it under control at the next level. The bottom line for me is that finding that franchise QB is the one thing necessary to contending, and they should be doing all they can to get theirs, regardless of the risk.

Thought I would start a thread.

Some of the highlights from my POV:

- Says there are "5 or 6" QBs in this draft who can be their QB of the future, but no indication of who they are
- Talks about trading down quite a few times; at one point says "the guaranteed way to win is the get more picks"
- Talked a lot about Drake Maye when asked - said he has a high ceiling, but then also seems to imply he has a low floor
- Still working trade market, there will be guys who come available at the draft and after the draft that they may target
- Seemed to imply Okorafor is currently the starting LT if no one else was acquired, but the draft has not happened yet, etc
- Showed awareness of the NFLPA report card and said they have a team built that is targeting fixes to areas with low scores
- Highlighted belief in development of drafted QB and his staff's ability to do so, and how it did not go well in that area for Mac in '22

I can't take seriously any opinion that says there are 5-6 potential starting QBs in a single draft. There will be 1 at best. Once in a blue moon you will have 2. Once a generation or so you get 3.

So many nuts are running around loose these days.

I know that the Tewksbury Mental hospital is gone because I tore it down. I guess Im to blame since I leveled their home.

Wolf is going to make a certain group happy whether it's the Take the QB @ 3 group or Trade #3 get a haul group I'm leaning heavily towards the latter. We have too many Needs at critical positions.
What about the LT @ 3 group? Anyone? Why such discrimination? They are people too!

This trading back to fill more needs is a shortsighted view on this rebuild. Have a chance at a possible franchise changing QB. Take him now. Instead we want to trade back and wind up with a tier 2, let’s just try to make it to the playoffs, QB. We’re not winning in 2024, take the shot at the franchise guy.
It's because we have been conditioned for it over 20 years. Of course everybody likes to just ignore that a QB was never a need which was why it worked.

If you don't have a good QB in the NFL, you can't win. You may pull it off for a year or two if you hit on a lot of picks but it is never sustainable.

It is noteworthy that Mayo had a ton to say about Maye and how "there's no ceiling on a guy like that" (even if he did acknowledge that he needs to develop), but then when asked about Jayden Daniels, his response was "Yeah, I had a Zoom with him, I met him" and then changed the subject to talk about traveling to pro days.

I wonder if maybe Jayden is actually their guy and they're trying to hide it... and if he goes at #2 then they're trading down.
That's definitely the approach I would take in their place. Talk up some dude you don't want in the hope he gets selected ahead of you and avoid talking about the one you want.

They can and have, but in most cases their defense was really special. (2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs, 2015 Broncos and so on). The Pats don't have that luxury.
Another thing about those teams is none of them sustained any sort of success. You just can't have a good team for 10 years without a really good QB. Hence the musical chairs at QB and HC every year.

What about the LT @ 3 group? Anyone? Why such discrimination? They are people too!

IMO QB is the only position they should pass on a 3 first round pick deal for, and that’s only if they believe they can take a guy that will make them a real contender for the next 10-15 years. If someone is offering 3 first rounders in exchange for us picking an OT or WR then I’m taking the deal.

I can't take seriously any opinion that says there are 5-6 potential starting QBs in a single draft. There will be 1 at best. Once in a blue moon you will have 2. Once a generation or so you get 3.

I think people are forgetting about the Covid year, which led many players to take the extra year in school, and come out this year instead of last. In that regard this isn’t a typical draft.

I think the important word there is "potential", meaning there are 5-6 or six guys who COULD be a starting QB, not that 5-6 guys WILL be starting QBs. He's not predicting, he's speculating based what they know at the moment (which is incomplete). All 5 of the QBs taken in the first round in 2021 were considered potential starters, otherwise they wouldn't have been taken in the top 15 of that draft. But obviously what ended up happening was quite different.

Somebody might Reach for Bo Nix in the 20's but I think both Penix Jr and S Rattler are going Second Round. Great value for us either way both have nice arms. :cool:
Agree 100%. Rattler would be perfect for us in the second.

I’m sure some feel that way, I don’t. I think he’s a back up at best. And I don’t want a 6’ quarterback who has issues processing and a mediocre arm. Mac Jones has turned me off the two latter qualities permanently. And I don’t want Nix either. For me it’s franchise quarterback or bust, because busting as team is all you are going to do with mediocre quarterback’s.

Agree 100%. Rattler would be perfect for us in the second.
I also would not mind Rattler with a trade up into the late 2nd with their 3rd rounder, if we assume they trade down from 3rd overall.

- Trade with Minnesota for 11 + 23 + 2025 first
- WR Rome Odunze at 11
- OT Tyler Guyton at 23
- WR Keon Coleman at 34
- Trade up into 50s as needed for Spencer Rattler

If Rattler doesn't really prove himself then you play Brissett and try next year - but you'd have your LT and two new starting WRs. You could also go defense at 34 if you wanted to add depth there, there'd probably be a lot of talent there too after runs at the offensive positions happen.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back